U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 09:28 AM

11,586 posts, read 17,522,187 times

Advertisements

I was looking at one for awhile, it's an extremely popular gun and you won't have any trouble selling it at close to list I don't think. From what I read, it's great for it's intended use - a mouse gun for pocket carry or deep concealed carry. I thought they fixed the trigger but maybe I am thinking another Ruger model, maybe the 9mm (and I did later get a Ruger 9mm ED9, which is a good alternative because it's only slightly larger with a larger caliber). Obviously it's not a range gun and no fun to target shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:03 AM

10,874 posts, read 41,199,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Sunsprite, as a side note ,I have never sold a firearm no mater how much a peace of crap it was,and there have been a few butes .I dont know how.LOL
It's very simple to do … for me, I have a dealer (FFL holder) neighbor who has a gun shop. He goes to a couple of gunshows per month. He was a cash buyer for the Ruger which apparently has a modest market demand. I got a decent price for the clean, hardly carried, almost brand new pistol in the box with all the original paperwork.

Otherwise, I've another friend that owns multiple pawn shops in the area that is another FFL licensed dealer. He's more than willing to make a reasonable offer on such firearms, they apparently sell pretty well for him.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:13 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I was looking at one for awhile, it's an extremely popular gun and you won't have any trouble selling it at close to list I don't think. From what I read, it's great for it's intended use - a mouse gun for pocket carry or deep concealed carry. I thought they fixed the trigger but maybe I am thinking another Ruger model, maybe the 9mm (and I did later get a Ruger 9mm ED9, which is a good alternative because it's only slightly larger with a larger caliber). Obviously it's not a range gun and no fun to target shoot.

Wanted to mention that the old original Ruger LC has a DAO type trigger, and, from what I have read (never shot one myself) it's pretty heavy.

The current production guns have a Glock style trigger - also quite heavy.

Ed Harris has written that the original LC is one of the best hideout guns in .380. Although for a lot of guys, a hideout .380 is an answer to a question they didn't ask.

If you are a big guy with big hands, yeah, it's not going to be a good fit for you. And, being big, you have room to hide a bigger gat anyway.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:58 PM

4,126 posts, read 3,877,914 times
[mod note] Just a reminder that this is a "Hobbies and Recreation" forum. It's okay to talk about personal self-defense firearms in a general sense, but it is NOT okay to talk about what happens when a bullet leaves a muzzle and enters a human body. [/mod note]

I do not have the Ruger LC380, but do have a .380 from a different manufacturer which is the same size and weight. It is a "dire emergency", last resort firearm. It easily slips into its Uncle Mike's sleeve and disappears in a front pocket. In its sleeve, it is about the same exact size as my wallet.

At the range, I can only shoot it for about a half hour before my hand really starts hurting. It is so small and lightweight and my hands so large. It's difficult to hold firmly. But with the laser, it's pretty accurate. The laser is worthless outdoors, but plenty accurate indoors.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 11-01-2018, 09:48 PM

4,761 posts, read 8,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
[mod note] Just a reminder that this is a "Hobbies and Recreation" forum. It's okay to talk about personal self-defense firearms in a general sense, but it is NOT okay to talk about what happens when a bullet leaves a muzzle and enters a human body. [/mod note]
I suppose we can use the analogy from Paul Harrel, 4 layers of jeans, pork ribs, a bag of orange, more pork ribs, more jeans. Then layers of fleece simulating high tech bullet stop.

LCP vs LC9 for concealed carry
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8x00CsP9coM

Last edited by HB2HSV; 11-01-2018 at 10:02 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I suppose we can use the analogy from Paul Harrel, 4 layers of jeans, pork ribs, a bag of orange, more pork ribs, more jeans. Then layers of fleece simulating high tech bullet stop.

LCP vs LC9 for concealed carry
The Ruger LC9 has an alternative now - the EC9 (I mistyped ED9 above). In fact I am not sure they are making the LC9 anymore. It's essentially the same gun, I think they put a fixed sight instead of the removable, that saved them enough production costs to drop the price by a few hundred $'s. I picked one up earlier in the year as I was looking for a lighter carry alternative to my springfield XD. I like it except I had to modify it a bit to remove the built-in magazine safety so that it now fires even when magazine removed.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,105,329 times
I carry a Ruger LCP380 and the trigger is very touchy. The slightest pressure and she goes off. Was thinking about having that adjusted some.

Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM

4,126 posts, read 3,877,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The Ruger LC9 has an alternative now - the EC9 (I mistyped ED9 above). In fact I am not sure they are making the LC9 anymore. It's essentially the same gun, I think they put a fixed sight instead of the removable, that saved them enough production costs to drop the price by a few hundred $'s. I picked one up earlier in the year as I was looking for a lighter carry alternative to my springfield XD. I like it except I had to modify it a bit to remove the built-in magazine safety so that it now fires even when magazine removed.
Never heard of the EC9, but a quick search on Gallery of Guns show that my favorite local "toy store" sells the thing for $210. Guess I'll have to stop by later this morning to check it out. However, I detest the magazine disconnect safety and won't own a firearm with one. The magazine disconnect is no replacement for proper firearm handling procedures and common sense.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; Yesterday at 12:08 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Never heard of the EC9, but a quick search on Gallery of Guns show that my favorite local "toy store" sells the thing for $210. Guess I'll have to stop by later this morning to check it out. However, I detest the magazine disconnect safety and won't own a firearm with one. The magazine disconnect is no replacement for proper firearm handling procedures and common sense.
The EC9 is crazy inexpensive, and just like the LC9 crazy reliable. Disabling the magazine disconnect was like one of the first things I did - there are youtube videos that show you how. I don't know why Ruger has that, probably to satisfy some silly California gun safety law.
The only other thing I didn't like about the EC/LC-9 is the takedown, which is not as simple as other brands such as Springfield. The Ruger requires you to stick this little pin in this other pin and take it out first then slide everything apart.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Do you have any idea how much Ducks Unlimited means to waterfowl conservation? Just sayin'...

I seriously doubt he does. I doubt he knows anything about how hunting licenses pay for a lot of conservation work as well. And even excise tax on ammo like .380 that hardly anyone would use for hunting - that pays for conservation efforts too.

Getting back onto the original topic - IMHO the .380 to have, if you want or need a .380, is a SIG 230. The older one with no powdered metal sintered parts. Or an old WWII era Beretta.

My Beretta, bought because I got a deal on it, a Cheetah, single stack, is on the big side for a .380, have not shot it yet but have high hopes. Most Beretta guns shoot well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or