Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:28 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

So luck hit me with the weekly Ducks Unlimited calendar raffle. I was notified today I won a Ruger LC380.
(Of course I couldn't have been lucky NEXT WEEK with a Kimber 84L .30-06 - but I will not look a gift horse in the mouth).

So I already have two primary CC firearms- a Glock G30SF .45 and my S&W FBI model 13 .38/.357, so I really don't need a mouse gun. My wife carries a S&W .38 as well.

Anyone have any insights into this LC380? From what reviews I've read, it seems to be a fine little carry piece. Honestly I don't particularly care for this cartridge, so I may just sell it and pocket the cash..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 06:58 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Well, are there times when you don't carry your bigger guns, maybe in summer, when you would carry the .380?

You can get some considerably better .380 loads now than you could a few years ago.

That said, yeah, it's a mouse gun, maybe any self-respecting Montana thug would just shrug off a center of mass hit with it - dunno.

I don't have this actual gun, but, I have never had a Ruger that was not Hell for tough, generally reliable, a good gat.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:00 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,960,626 times
"...I may just sell it and pocket the cash.."

you win.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, are there times when you don't carry your bigger guns, maybe in summer, when you would carry the .380?

You can get some considerably better .380 loads now than you could a few years ago.

That said, yeah, it's a mouse gun, maybe any self-respecting Montana thug would just shrug off a center of mass hit with it - dunno.

I don't have this actual gun, but, I have never had a Ruger that was not Hell for tough, generally reliable, a good gat.
Well when I say 'mouse gun'- it's TINY. I don't handle tiny guns well. My friend has a Glock single stack 9mm and frankly it's just not a comfortable gun.

As far as the .380- that was an option for my wife when we shopped. Ballistics wise, the .380 seems to under penetrate when obstructed with clothing using hydro-shock type rounds, and over penetrates with FMJ. I leaned heavily on the studies from brassfetcher.com

380 ACP

Quote:
The 380 ACP is a marginal caliber for self-defense. Bullets shot from mouseguns with 2.8” barrel lengths usually either expand well and don’t penetrate to the 12.0” preferred depth or don’t expand at all and penetrate far beyond the 12.0” preferred depth, wasting wounding potential.
Frankly I feel there are better calibers and options, so why keep something 'maybe sort-of' will do the job?

Old 10-31-2018, 08:50 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
I have shot the LC380. You’ right, it’s a petite gun that’s great for carry just slide it in your pocket and it disappear. It’s not so comfortable when shooting it, however; where its small size & light weight work against the recoil. It jerks badly that I had trouble keeping it on target and we’re talking street shooting distance of 7 yards. Just for comparison, the S&W bodyguard 380 felt 100% better compared with the LC380. It’s only slightly bigger but holding it was a lot more comfortable. The little extra weight also made a world of difference in handling recoils. It is still small & light enough as a pocket gun for carrying. I would pick the Bodyguard over the LC380.

As to the .380 ballistic, it’s an up close & personal self defense caliber. More like stick it on your opponent’s belly and keep pulling the trigger gun. I would choose penetration over expansion. 2 holes bleed faster on a fat guy. A better chance of hitting vital organs too.

The bottom line is go shoot it and see how you like it. But IMO the LC380 is designed for 99.99% carry and hope the dear Lord that you’ll NEVER need to shoot it gun. For that role, it’s a perfect little gun.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:13 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Good Summer gun for penatrating lite clothing.Not so much for penatration in Winter..380 eah.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I have shot the LC380. You’ right, it’s a petite gun that’s great for carry just slide it in your pocket and it disappear. It’s not so comfortable when shooting it, however; where its small size & light weight work against the recoil. It jerks badly that I had trouble keeping it on target and we’re talking street shooting distance of 7 yards. Just for comparison, the S&W bodyguard 380 felt 100% better compared with the LC380. It’s only slightly bigger but holding it was a lot more comfortable. The little extra weight also made a world of difference in handling recoils. It is still small & light enough as a pocket gun for carrying. I would pick the Bodyguard over the LC380.

As to the .380 ballistic, it’s an up close & personal self defense caliber. More like stick it on your opponent’s belly and keep pulling the trigger gun. I would choose penetration over expansion. 2 holes bleed faster on a fat guy. A better chance of hitting vital organs too.

The bottom line is go shoot it and see how you like it. But IMO the LC380 is designed for 99.99% carry and hope the dear Lord that you’ll NEVER need to shoot it gun. For that role, it’s a perfect little gun.
Yeah we have shorts season for 3 months, after that is clothing. One of the things I have for summer is a fanny pack (carried in front) that is a quick access firearm deal. My Glock is out in a second.

And I don't care if I look like douche carrying it.

Old 10-31-2018, 11:11 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
my son bought one of these for his daily CC pocket pistol, and carried if for a couple of weeks to get used to it before taking it to the range to practice shooting it. He was so disappointed in how it handled that he gave it to me … well, almost "gave" it … we traded an antique wall hangar single shot JC Higgins 12 ga shotgun (non-functional) with a ghastly leather wrapped broken stock for the Ruger. I believe the stock got broken the day it was used to extend the handle on a handyman jack, or at least it looked that way.

I took that pistol to our range and put 20 rds through it. It was remarkably unimpressive, with a heavy long travel trigger which my aging arthritic hand did not like. I knew I'd never want to rely upon this pistol if the need arose and it was no fun to shoot.

So it got sold off the next week. One of the few firearms I've ever been really happy to be rid of with no regrets.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:30 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Sunsprite, as a side note ,I have never sold a firearm no mater how much a peace of crap it was,and there have been a few butes .I dont know how.LOL

Old 11-01-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
my son bought one of these for his daily CC pocket pistol, and carried if for a couple of weeks to get used to it before taking it to the range to practice shooting it. He was so disappointed in how it handled that he gave it to me … well, almost "gave" it … we traded an antique wall hangar single shot JC Higgins 12 ga shotgun (non-functional) with a ghastly leather wrapped broken stock for the Ruger. I believe the stock got broken the day it was used to extend the handle on a handyman jack, or at least it looked that way.

I took that pistol to our range and put 20 rds through it. It was remarkably unimpressive, with a heavy long travel trigger which my aging arthritic hand did not like. I knew I'd never want to rely upon this pistol if the need arose and it was no fun to shoot.

So it got sold off the next week. One of the few firearms I've ever been really happy to be rid of with no regrets.
I’ve read about the long trigger pull..

Thanks for the review. I think it gets sold NIB unfired when I receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting