Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 11:02 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times

Advertisements

Not wanting to sidetrack this as we have noticed the big cats crossing our family property (along with other large game ). I have never owned a revolver, was (perhaps incorrectly so) assuming that flinging a lot of rounds out of a 9 or 40 semi auto would work on them as much as fewer but potentially more lethal rounds out of say a 357 revolver. You know, be able to use what i already own. But if a powerful revolver makes more sense than that would be something I would research more as needed. So just finding this thread of interest. Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 12:44 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
There is a mighty big difference in a .357mag vs. a .40 or .45, and frankly I find revolvers inherently more accurate than semi-auto's. I know that is not the always the case, however this shooter is much more accurate with a revolver than a semi-auto.

Shot placement counts when you are considering dangerous game/animals. You literally have a second or two tops to react to a grizzly, and God forbid a cat. We hike in the evenings when cats are about, and we have some big kitty's here, so I much prefer the .357 with my front sight dabbed with fishing lure fluorescent paint and primed for the hike.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:21 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
As discussed earlier, not much difference between a 2 inch barrel.357 and a .40S&W ballistically. But if you go to a 4 inch and up, there’s a significant difference. A 4 inch gets exit velocity over 1,400 fps now that’s a potent round! Also, you can up the ammo to 180 gr SWC which can penetrate tough skin animals more readily.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:24 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
Thank you all for your posts; they give me much to consider. Yesterday I shot Hunter Wold's (some of you may remember him from C.D.) Taurus Judge with 410 shot gun shells. Boy, is that a stout shot! Glad I was holding on to it with both hands. Accurate but too much for me and would not be able to shoot quickly with that stiff hammer. Then shot my little .22 Bearcat revolver (normally used for the rare rattlesnake and targets) and discovered it's misfiring again and will need to make a another trip back to Ruger. Will look at various revolvers with 4-6" barrels.
Cats are rare here but this a.m. there was a large coyote 50' away. I saw it before my cattle dog did and I quickly leashed her. Maybe I need to be more concerned about my dog possibly tangling with a coyote (slight possibility is was actually a wolf).

Old 11-06-2018, 10:28 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Yotes (at least here) tend to be very wary of dogs. At least they are wary with my 3 German Shorthairs, lol.

I tend to not worry so much about them. They do an admirable job of keeping the prairie dog populations in check, and are funny to watch as the zip up my neighbors yard to raid someones hen house, lol.

However if one comes in close- I would dispatch it, but in 9 years that has not happened.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:37 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
PS: every time I've spotted a mountain lion while horseback riding over the last 5 decades in Colorado mountains, the cat was pretty discreet about staying concealed. Most of the time, I was alerted to the possibility of a predator by the behavior of my horse … and I've no doubt that I've probably missed spotting many more of the cats than I've ever seen while out on the trails. They didn't seem to want to have anything to do with human contact. I've never felt the need for a firearm in such situations, and yes … we do carry when out in the back country, but usually an old .30-.30 lever action rifle in the saddle scabbard. For the most part, it's been used on much smaller varmints … raccoons, skunks, badgers, and the bane of my sheep operation … coyotes.
Hope it works out for OP.

I have a Thunder Ranch 325 'Smith that fires 45ACP, in moon clips. If it wasn't such a unicorn, I'd "love" it but as-is, maybe I'm not using it right as with light/laser is mostly a home defense last-ditch. This is not a bad thing. Seems like more of a ranch gun and it's light and shoots well. I happen to like 45ACP as a do-most-things pistol round, always being fond of 44 Special range guns ten years prior, but this way I can economize on ammo for essentially the same cartridge. The moon clips thing totally work for me, YYMV. It's a cannon in terms of size (N-Frame) and thus useless to OP, though. I have glove size 9 hands (Men's L) and can shoot anything.

Only reason I'd carry it on horseback (I don't ride) or similar would be in some sort of no-nonsense nylon hip holster over ACUs/BDUs. 45ACP is a cannon to some, not so much to others.

Some years ago did a LOT of hiking in the Cascades, definitely "cougar country" and carried only a collapsible baton and pepper spray, never needing either, both in my hands. I was usually trail running at the time. Never saw a cougar, not once, though were there any I'm sure they saw me and promptly trotted the other way.

When I'm trail hiking, sometimes carry old 'Slab Sides when I had a 5", which was too much of a cannon (too heavy). Light makes right when strolling distance, regardless. If I get back into hiking, will probably adapt a nylon holster to my Multicam pants and take that scandium-framed 325.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:30 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Personally, you are in a situation that is LITERALLY life and death. If a bear grabs you, you can lay still as best you can, and the bear "might" leave you alone. A cat? That ***** is there to eat you whether you lay still or writhe in pain. Me? If it had to be a revolver, I would want more than 6 rounds, and that means the trusty S&W 686 6", 7 rounds in .357 is what I trust my life with.
Just sayin'... you don't want to be the next piece of meow mix, know what I mean?

Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Yotes (at least here) tend to be very wary of dogs. At least they are wary with my 3 German Shorthairs, lol.

I tend to not worry so much about them. They do an admirable job of keeping the prairie dog populations in check, and are funny to watch as the zip up my neighbors yard to raid someones hen house, lol.

However if one comes in close- I would dispatch it, but in 9 years that has not happened.
Not sure where you’re at but here in the suburbia of Southern California coyotes are know to send out an opposite sex to attract your dog, flirting with him / her and pretend to play chase only to find a few of its buddies waiting around the corner. My sister’s friend lost one of their dogs that way. The other friend tied their poodle in the backyard only to find what’s left of it, basically the head. Their two little girls cried their hearts out.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:10 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
While a .357 or .38+P load properly placed on a mountain lion will likely get it's attention, you will not necessarily "stop a mountain lion in it's tracks" in an attack. Consider, too, your reaction time to draw and accurately shoot a wild animal that comes out of concealment to attack you … do you really believe that you've got the reflexes and abilities to do so?

IMO, the .357 revolver is best for wildlife defense. If .357 recoils too much, a person can us .38 ammo in the same revolver. Further, there is ammo made for wildlife defense. There's also even .357 ammo that is less than full power but more powerful than .38 ammo.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
S&W 13 with 3" barrel, eh? Another one for me to check out, thanks.
Good luck. That’s a “Grail” gun to many shooters. Generally unobtainium at anything resembling a reasonable price.

Look for a model 19 or 66 with a 4” barrel. Adjustable sights, and much easier to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting