U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2018, 10:28 PM
 
4,790 posts, read 8,477,971 times
Reputation: 3468

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
The other day I stopped at the "local" gun shop to see the S&W 637 .38 sp. It felt pretty good and thinking seriously about this model but sure wish I could actually shoot it first. the price tag was $469.
Can you find a local FFL who’s willing to do the transfer from buying online?

If so, it will be much cheaper.

https://gunprime.com/product/s-w-637...rp-rrsw150467/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2018, 10:57 PM
 
5,317 posts, read 2,473,656 times
Reputation: 5181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
The other day I stopped at the "local" gun shop to see the S&W 637 .38 sp. It felt pretty good and thinking seriously about this model but sure wish I could actually shoot it first. the price tag was $469.
Definitely shoot it first. You probably won’t want to shoot it more than once. The J frames, particularly the air weights, have A LOT of recoil. Most women (and many men) find them uncomfortable to shoot, even painfully so. In a revolver, you will be MUCH happier with a 3-4” steel K frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 01:02 PM
 
10,948 posts, read 41,680,413 times
Reputation: 14217
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Definitely shoot it first. You probably won’t want to shoot it more than once. The J frames, particularly the air weights, have A LOT of recoil. Most women (and many men) find them uncomfortable to shoot, even painfully so. In a revolver, you will be MUCH happier with a 3-4” steel K frame.
this^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 01:30 PM
 
4,790 posts, read 8,477,971 times
Reputation: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
this^
It’s a trade off. The OP has stated she has small hands and obviously a J frame is more comfortable for her. She race-walks so weight is an factor when she carries. All these are a trade off for when she needs to draw the weapon for that 1% of time when she carries. If she’s calm, has time to aim, use single action mode, then maybe one shot is all she needs to take care of threat. Coyotes are not aggressive. Just the sound of gun shot may just be enough to scare it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 03:08 PM
 
10,948 posts, read 41,680,413 times
Reputation: 14217
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It’s a trade off. The OP has stated she has small hands and obviously a J frame is more comfortable for her. She race-walks so weight is an factor when she carries. All these are a trade off for when she needs to draw the weapon for that 1% of time when she carries. If she’s calm, has time to aim, use single action mode, then maybe one shot is all she needs to take care of threat. Coyotes are not aggressive. Just the sound of gun shot may just be enough to scare it off.
Agree, coyotes aren't aggressive … although I've had more than few lounge around in my hayfield while baling or sit on top of bales when I'm out retrieving them. Those have been my "best" opportunities to bag one of them for the compost heap. And the report from a missed shot will always have them scrambling for cover down into their dens.

However, IIRC, the OP wasn't worried about coyotes … but attacks from a big cat which are apparently becoming more prevalent in the area she's out hiking. Unless it's a most lucky shot, she'll need a 2nd or 3rd to stop one of these. It's those follow-up shots (especially if the first is a miss) that could prove to be the critical ones … and the ability to accurately get that next shot off could nigh well be difficult with one of the small J frame revolvers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 04:22 PM
 
5,317 posts, read 2,473,656 times
Reputation: 5181
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It’s a trade off. The OP has stated she has small hands and obviously a J frame is more comfortable for her. She race-walks so weight is an factor when she carries. All these are a trade off for when she needs to draw the weapon for that 1% of time when she carries. If she’s calm, has time to aim, use single action mode, then maybe one shot is all she needs to take care of threat. Coyotes are not aggressive. Just the sound of gun shot may just be enough to scare it off.
First and foremost the gun must be shootable. Everything else takes a backseat to that. If the OP takes one or two shots with that airweight and decides that it is too uncomfortable to shoot (a VERY common occurrence), then that gun is worthless to her. All of the other factors can be dealt with easily. “Too painful to shoot” is generally a deal breaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 05:50 PM
 
4,790 posts, read 8,477,971 times
Reputation: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
First and foremost the gun must be shootable. Everything else takes a backseat to that. If the OP takes one or two shots with that airweight and decides that it is too uncomfortable to shoot (a VERY common occurrence), then that gun is worthless to her. All of the other factors can be dealt with easily. “Too painful to shoot” is generally a deal breaker.
We will just have to agree to disagree. I carry a J frame airweight (S&W 638), while it is not as comfortable to shoot as my L frame 686, it is shootable. I can hit man-size target at 7 yards. My wife who’s petite, 100 lbm all wet put together, was able to shoot it as well. Yes she complained about its recoil and not as comfortable as my K-frame model 19, however the point is she was able to shoot it. I’ll bet OP will have no trouble pulling the trigger when she needs to be.

Comfortable/ uncomfortable is subjective. Comfortable compare to what? I bet you won’t feel the recoil when the wild cat/ coyote is running toward you. You develop a “tunnel vision “ where you block out external noise and recoils when you shoot. Worse case scenario when the animal is on top of you, just shove the pistol under the animal’s chin and keep pulling the trigger.

Weight/ size is a serious consideration when comes to carrying. Ignore that fact is just like saying anything under a .357 magnum is *not* worth considering. You don’t need to feel comfortable to shoot. You should feel comforting knowing you can shoot when you need to. There’s a reason why “petite” carry guns like Ruger LC9, LCP, are extremely popular with gun owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 10:31 PM
 
5,317 posts, read 2,473,656 times
Reputation: 5181
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. I carry a J frame airweight (S&W 638), while it is not as comfortable to shoot as my L frame 686, it is shootable. I can hit man-size target at 7 yards. My wife who’s petite, 100 lbm all wet put together, was able to shoot it as well. Yes she complained about its recoil and not as comfortable as my K-frame model 19, however the point is she was able to shoot it. I’ll bet OP will have no trouble pulling the trigger when she needs to be.

Comfortable/ uncomfortable is subjective. Comfortable compare to what? I bet you won’t feel the recoil when the wild cat/ coyote is running toward you. You develop a “tunnel vision “ where you block out external noise and recoils when you shoot. Worse case scenario when the animal is on top of you, just shove the pistol under the animal’s chin and keep pulling the trigger.

Weight/ size is a serious consideration when comes to carrying. Ignore that fact is just like saying anything under a .357 magnum is *not* worth considering. You don’t need to feel comfortable to shoot. You should feel comforting knowing you can shoot when you need to. There’s a reason why “petite” carry guns like Ruger LC9, LCP, are extremely popular with gun owners.
I know more women that have been turned off to shooting due to someone recommending an airweight j frame than any other reason, and by a very wide margin. The issue isn’t “can the gun be shot.” The answer to that question is “of course.” The real question is will the gun be shot enough to where the user will become competent with it, and actually carry it. When talking about inexperienced female shooters and airweight j frames, the answer is “almost never.”

Those little guns are popular because they are rarely shot.. When you look at people that are serious about shooting (USPSA and IDPA competitors, people that are actually taking multiple training courses, etc.), they generally aren’t carrying LC9’s and LCP’s. They are carrying larger, more easily shootable guns. And when they do carry a BUG, they have the skills to shoot it well. Most casual shooters don’t.

Your petite wife can shoot an airweight j frame. Great. Have her shoot the IDPA classifier with that gun. I’d bet a pretty large sum of money that she wouldn’t finish the classifier if shooting even modest factory loads. The recoil is just too much. And in the unlikely event that she could finish it, and even turn in a modest score, it is the rare inexperienced woman that could do it.

Recommending an airweight j frame for an inexperienced woman is such a bad idea that it borders on the irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2018, 01:36 PM
 
1,829 posts, read 4,656,408 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Definitely shoot it first. You probably won’t want to shoot it more than once. The J frames, particularly the air weights, have A LOT of recoil. Most women (and many men) find them uncomfortable to shoot, even painfully so. In a revolver, you will be MUCH happier with a 3-4” steel K frame.
Sounds like I may want a K frame alright. These have the longer grip, too, right? With room for the little finger on the grip? I hate not having all fingers on the frame. A big concern for me is the trigger pull weight as I have VERY little index finger strength. I'm not worried much about coyotes and, while those big cats are said to be moving closer to my area, I have never seen one or its tracks on my 120 acres. Right now I just want a revolver I can shoot easily enough for even target practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2018, 02:48 PM
 
5,317 posts, read 2,473,656 times
Reputation: 5181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Sounds like I may want a K frame alright. These have the longer grip, too, right? With room for the little finger on the grip? I hate not having all fingers on the frame. A big concern for me is the trigger pull weight as I have VERY little index finger strength. I'm not worried much about coyotes and, while those big cats are said to be moving closer to my area, I have never seen one or its tracks on my 120 acres. Right now I just want a revolver I can shoot easily enough for even target practice.
Look for a k-frame in round-butt rather than square-butt configuration. You will have more grip choices available. And yes, there will be plenty of room for you to get a full grip, including your little finger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top