U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 06:56 PM

7,884 posts, read 5,507,783 times

Advertisements

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/why...295358&jb=3154

Quote:
Undoubtedly, the decision to own and carry a gun is a very important one. But here are five reasons why it’s a really good one as well.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 PM

472 posts, read 107,037 times
I look at it as my insurance. I have it, and I hope I never need to use it.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:28 PM

6,051 posts, read 3,269,890 times
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I'd rather have one and not need it than need it and not have one.
Sho nuff!!!!

Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

24,894 posts, read 60,056,839 times
To shoot rattlesnakes while hiking?

To attract attention if you get lost in the woods?

To shoot that damned woodpecker that keeps making a nest in our house?

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

900 posts, read 269,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I look at it as my insurance. I have it, and I hope I never need to use it.
Yep. Same reason we have fire extinguishers. Mostly they just sit around but when you need one, you usually need it very badly and just about nothing else will do.

Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM

771 posts, read 199,837 times
I think most shouldn't. In most areas your risks of using it innappropriately and ending up in jail, shot by Barney Fife or accidental discharge are a lot higher than the situation where it saves your life against a bad guy. If someone lives in a really bad area and is a very even tempered controlled person who isn't controlled by his ego it would make sense. Case in point, I live in a very low crime area and one of my neighbors is a ffl dealer and carries all the time. A few months ago he told me about what happened the day before - some jackass in a pickup truck was tailgaiting him on his motorcycle, and passed him too closely almost running him off the road. He said he hauled ass after him and tried to find him but the guy was gone. I asked him what he would have done had he caught him and he said he would have read the riot act to him, which in my mind is a really stupid thing to do when you are carrying a gun - that could have escalated into a life changing moment over nothing.
Btw, why do people use the reason "because you can" for carrying? I have the right to run around my house naked singing 'God bless America' at the top of my lungs till I collapse in exhaustion, but just because I can doesn't mean I should.

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

20,740 posts, read 22,906,831 times
I do not carry on my person. I do however carry when my wife and I travel during the summer with our travel trailer.

Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I think most shouldn't. In most areas your risks of using it innappropriately and ending up in jail, shot by Barney Fife or accidental discharge are a lot higher than the situation where it saves your life against a bad guy. If someone lives in a really bad area and is a very even tempered controlled person who isn't controlled by his ego it would make sense. Case in point, I live in a very low crime area and one of my neighbors is a ffl dealer and carries all the time. A few months ago he told me about what happened the day before - some jackass in a pickup truck was tailgaiting him on his motorcycle, and passed him too closely almost running him off the road. He said he hauled ass after him and tried to find him but the guy was gone. I asked him what he would have done had he caught him and he said he would have read the riot act to him, which in my mind is a really stupid thing to do when you are carrying a gun - that could have escalated into a life changing moment over nothing.
Btw, why do people use the reason "because you can" for carrying? I have the right to run around my house naked singing 'God bless America' at the top of my lungs till I collapse in exhaustion, but just because I can doesn't mean I should.
Don't Judge all gun carriers by this guy. Not fair.

I have had 3 incidents that could have gone south. All 3 happened to me. I used my brain, and got myself out of the situation WITHOUT using the gun. You are right - I do not put myself in that situation.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

9,251 posts, read 10,243,424 times
If you're a woman, you're safer if everyone has a gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ka-hAZxK90
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting