U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:25 PM

506 posts, read 125,388 times

Advertisements

I actually used to be the admin of the FN Forum about a decade ago.

I live in a condo, and I bought a PS90 again as my hone defense weapon. Despite FN making an AP round (SS190), the round is designed to not overpenetrate. It will penetrate less interior walls than a 9mm round will.

I have seen some tests showing that 198 will be stopped by a 2nd interior round (it will go thru 1 wall, but won't go all the way thru the 2nd wall). That is useful in an apartment/condo situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 04:42 PM

1,494 posts, read 731,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I actually used to be the admin of the FN Forum about a decade ago.

I live in a condo, and I bought a PS90 again as my hone defense weapon. Despite FN making an AP round (SS190), the round is designed to not overpenetrate. It will penetrate less interior walls than a 9mm round will.

I have seen some tests showing that 198 will be stopped by a 2nd interior round (it will go thru 1 wall, but won't go all the way thru the 2nd wall). That is useful in an apartment/condo situation.
I have not seen the video, but my friend had seen and indicates the 5.7 * 28 round being shot at two milk jugs back to back, it ripped through the first one, and it has a light bit of shrapnel in the second milk jug.

From what I understand the round was designed to dump 90% of it's energy in less than 12".

The first time I had shot my FN PS90, I had called up my best friend, and I told him I was sorry, but I just spent 1400 dollars of his money, for as soon as he would shoot that rifle, he would have to get one of his own, my friend would love it that much. Having a AR-15 and the FN PS90, I will take the FN PS90 every time. I think it is a smoother to shoot; but both are a good platform.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:40 PM

Well, an AR does have more power and more range. But the PS90 is the same size as a short barrel AR... An, no ATF fees...

I also prefer the size and capacity of the PS90

Old 12-02-2018, 12:28 AM

1,494 posts, read 731,801 times
Quote:
Well, an AR does have more power and more range. But the PS90 is the same size as a short barrel AR... An, no ATF fees...

I also prefer the size and capacity of the PS90

Exactly so my choice would be 30 round magazine or 50 round magazine, which shall I choose, I will take 50 round magazines for $400 Alex

Old 12-02-2018, 08:01 AM

Well, I have owned some ARs, and I even had a SCAR 16s up until a few months ago. Fantastic gun too, but heavier when loaded and with an optic and forward grip.

I have been having some neck problems, so I sold the SCAR. But, the ergonomics of the PS90 are a bit different. I am keeping it for now, and I hope I can keep shooting it.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:04 PM

3,522 posts, read 2,911,828 times
Quote:
Well, I have owned some ARs, and I even had a SCAR 16s up until a few months ago. Fantastic gun too, but heavier when loaded and with an optic and forward grip.

I have been having some neck problems, so I sold the SCAR. But, the ergonomics of the PS90 are a bit different. I am keeping it for now, and I hope I can keep shooting it.
Couple great replies thus far, so I pulled some data (source: Wikipedia).

Collapsing stock extended, about 30" for 10.5" barrel AR, which is SBR.

For reference, my FS2000 Standard is 29.3", about 8.0 lbs. I already see every reason to throw away the AR SBR...never mind, that bridge is crossed. Too, I need to be cautious about bling-bloat and finally managed to stop it, with ACOG, steel fore-end, and Surefire light only.

And lastly, the PS90: 26.2", with the legal and awkward 16" barrel, 6.3 lbs. 19.9" or so with the 10.5" barrel, which seems bit better visually balanced. By the latter, I mean to utilize it in the way the designers wanted. I'd think hard about going SBR on that with the 10.5" barrel. And select fire...just my $.02. It was indeed fun to shoot at the range here in WA, and there may be a combatant course out there somewhere for sub-guns (Thunder Ranch, InSights, Gunsite, Rogers?).

Yeah, I know: shooting because it's fun is 3/4 the battle, bad pun intended. The practical side of me then says, "that's all fine and good, now let's put the skills to the test at a combatant class!" I have done so, to what I would call an Intermediate level, past 15 years including w/FS2000 (which performed splendidly, as one would expect). So yep: had I a 10.5" SBR PS90 w/Aimpoint or similar red-dot, select fire or not, I'd be itching to take a room-clearing, "shoot-house" kind of course in both good and poor light conditions

Old 12-15-2018, 10:01 PM

288 posts, read 112,482 times
Beautiful weapon. Stargate represent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

Old 12-16-2018, 12:07 AM

5,316 posts, read 2,463,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I have not seen the video, but my friend had seen and indicates the 5.7 * 28 round being shot at two milk jugs back to back, it ripped through the first one, and it has a light bit of shrapnel in the second milk jug.

From what I understand the round was designed to dump 90% of it's energy in less than 12".

The first time I had shot my FN PS90, I had called up my best friend, and I told him I was sorry, but I just spent 1400 dollars of his money, for as soon as he would shoot that rifle, he would have to get one of his own, my friend would love it that much. Having a AR-15 and the FN PS90, I will take the FN PS90 every time. I think it is a smoother to shoot; but both are a good platform.
I’ve never shot one, so I have to ask “Why?” Is “smoother” the only reason?

Old 12-16-2018, 12:14 AM

5,316 posts, read 2,463,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Couple great replies thus far, so I pulled some data (source: Wikipedia).

Collapsing stock extended, about 30" for 10.5" barrel AR, which is SBR.

For reference, my FS2000 Standard is 29.3", about 8.0 lbs. I already see every reason to throw away the AR SBR...never mind, that bridge is crossed. Too, I need to be cautious about bling-bloat and finally managed to stop it, with ACOG, steel fore-end, and Surefire light only.

And lastly, the PS90: 26.2", with the legal and awkward 16" barrel, 6.3 lbs. 19.9" or so with the 10.5" barrel, which seems bit better visually balanced. By the latter, I mean to utilize it in the way the designers wanted. I'd think hard about going SBR on that with the 10.5" barrel. And select fire...just my $.02. It was indeed fun to shoot at the range here in WA, and there may be a combatant course out there somewhere for sub-guns (Thunder Ranch, InSights, Gunsite, Rogers?).

Yeah, I know: shooting because it's fun is 3/4 the battle, bad pun intended. The practical side of me then says, "that's all fine and good, now let's put the skills to the test at a combatant class!" I have done so, to what I would call an Intermediate level, past 15 years including w/FS2000 (which performed splendidly, as one would expect). So yep: had I a 10.5" SBR PS90 w/Aimpoint or similar red-dot, select fire or not, I'd be itching to take a room-clearing, "shoot-house" kind of course in both good and poor light conditions
There are no full auto PS90’s in the NFA registry - it was developed too late. It is unobtanium to non-SOT civilians.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:49 PM

3,522 posts, read 2,911,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are no full auto PS90’s in the NFA registry - it was developed too late. It is unobtanium to non-SOT civilians.
Ahh: I know little about Class 3! Just seemed like a good idea for that particular weapon, as a bullet hose basically. With a 50 round magazine, it begs for it. Switchable: safe, semi, 2 or 3 round burst, and full auto mode ala Kriss Vector.

There is a trigger kit for the FS2000 that costs just a few dollars, installs in about five minutes if one can follow instructions, and takes the trigger from "lousy" to "marginal". I bet it works on the PS90, too. With that, and red dot, I'd still definitely take a house clearing course, even in semi auto and basically triple tap everything in the shoot house. Mount up a Surefire, call it good. Those courses are waaay fun with M4s and my FS2000, given the latter is pretty short (see: earlier post). It's a ruckus with 223 in confined spaces.

More fun I bet with a squat little PS90, the latest answer to the sub gun. I'd keep a cheek weld on that puppy throughout when clearing corners and rooms, and blast damn near anything ID'd as "hostile" repeatedly. Assuming I knew the fastest way to swap mags on that critter, too.

Found a forum with some cops/SWAT who did just that, select fire version (LEO only), 1,000 rounds in a shoot house. They had plenty to say, after.

On careful reflection, I'd "personally" buy a Krinkov, in 5.45 if possible, and kit that out a bit. OR an Arsenal AK-47 or 103 w/folding stock for compactness. Point being: ammo's cheap, they are basically bullet hoses. Did I mention ammo is cheap...

Last edited by Blondebaerde; Yesterday at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting