U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:41 AM

355 posts, read 101,885 times

Advertisements

Where I shoot in MA, military-style stuff is perhaps MORE popular than other types, although there is plenty of that, too.

"Pushback?" Who was pushing in the first place? Can't we just all get along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:52 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I like the AR platform for a lot of reasons. To name a few:

- I have one of my own and enjoy shooting it.
- I like how public interest in the AR platform has expanded lawful gun ownership in this country. Love that.
- It is not PC to own an AR. That's an additional benefit.

I think the growing interest in this segment of the gun ownership community is awesome. I don't think it has come without consequences, though. I posted a bit of a rant a few years ago:

An Observation (and Minor Rant)...

The TLDR version: I made an observation that a lot of AR shooters tend to be new shooters and lack basic weapons handling knowledge, safety rules and practices and have horrid range etiquette. This is more a rant about the shooters themselves though than an actual weapons platform. It happens that the shooters about whom the rant is made choose to shoot the AR platform. And of course, since this is CD there is the usual over reaction from posters who either just love drama or lack basic reading comprehension skills. But it does present a possible explanation why some shooters who choose to shoot military style weapons may be sensing a backlash within the community of fellow shooters.
This is what I have observed too. In addition, I have seen a lot of individuals that I can only describe as "posers" at my range who blow through a lot of ammo but have very little practical shooting knowledge. At certain times of the year, most of the lanes are occupied by people getting ready for dear season by sighting in their (usually bolt action) rifles. A lot of people do this in pairs or groups, with one person shooting and another spotting. This consists of a minute or two of talking, aiming, then a single 'crack'. It is a time to build skill, prep for hunting season, and socialize with friends. It can be frustrating if someone a few feet away decides to drown out all conversation and concentration with a series of rapid 30+ round magazine dumps while tossing hot brass across your field of vision or even right at you.

Most of my friends have one or more AR's or other military style rifles, so no one objects to the gun style itself. Still, there are definitely grumbles when zombie targets start going up in the adjacent lane and rifle caliber pistols start getting unloaded along with a few dozen loaded magazines.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:51 AM

103 posts, read 15,610 times
Went to a new range on the West Coast of Florida yesterday.... literally every single person in the rifle lanes was shooting a AR variant except for 3 guys. One had a tactical chassis 700 bolt gun, one had a AK and one had a SCAR ( with a lovely NF ATACS) ..... it was all basically military style.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:10 PM

1,972 posts, read 3,413,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Personally I've seen nothing but smiling faces when I haul out my small collection to the range...most guys run ar's or some AK variant anyhow and If I take the K98 or G43 I get lots a smiles and good comments or questions depending on the age of the person.... Funny but it seems the younger guys recognize the scoped G43 faster then some of the oldsters....Benefits of video games I guess.....
I have a K98 Mauser also, and the local range would always put me in with the pistol guys. When I would squeeze off a couple of rounds I'd get a lot of people giving me bewildered looks.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,127,519 times
The [mod cut] in Vegas with the bump stock didnt help the case much.

Last edited by volosong; 01-08-2019 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: no profanity, implied or explicit

Old 01-11-2019, 02:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 477,406 times
It's idiotic.

There are real genuine weapons of war (m1 garand, mosign, sks, k98, m1a1, m1911 etc) all widely owned.

But yet civilian modern weapons which have ergonomic features that "look scary" get so much negative publicity.

[mod cut]

Watch this video and watch the woman's facial reaction when she realizes she just shot an "[mod cut] ar15"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-eSxR5gIc

Last edited by volosong; 01-11-2019 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: no politics, it just get people riled up and solves nothing, second edit - neither said that, don't add words they didn't say

Old 01-11-2019, 05:02 PM

1,550 posts, read 757,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It's idiotic.

There are real genuine weapons of war (m1 garand, mosign, sks, k98, m1a1, m1911 etc) all widely owned.

But yet civilian modern weapons which have ergonomic features that "look scary" get so much negative publicity.

[mod cut]

Watch this video and watch the woman's facial reaction when she realizes she just shot an "[mod cut] ar15"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-eSxR5gIc
Over the years I have taken multiple people to the range and on my dime, and in cases that they have never shot a gun, or never shot what I had brought, they all always had a good time, because it was taken slow and instructed them safely.

And I think most of the fear comes from a lack of knowledge about guns. When show in a controlled environment it can be a good time for all.

Last edited by volosong; 01-11-2019 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM

13,554 posts, read 11,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
This is what I have observed too. In addition, I have seen a lot of individuals that I can only describe as "posers" at my range who blow through a lot of ammo but have very little practical shooting knowledge. At certain times of the year, most of the lanes are occupied by people getting ready for dear season by sighting in their (usually bolt action) rifles. A lot of people do this in pairs or groups, with one person shooting and another spotting. This consists of a minute or two of talking, aiming, then a single 'crack'. It is a time to build skill, prep for hunting season, and socialize with friends. It can be frustrating if someone a few feet away decides to drown out all conversation and concentration with a series of rapid 30+ round magazine dumps while tossing hot brass across your field of vision or even right at you.

Most of my friends have one or more AR's or other military style rifles, so no one objects to the gun style itself. Still, there are definitely grumbles when zombie targets start going up in the adjacent lane and rifle caliber pistols start getting unloaded along with a few dozen loaded magazines.

Even when shooting my ARs at the range I never do mag dumps. That's a spode thing. I actually use my five round magazine and fire three shot strings just as if I'm shooting a bolt gun. Yea we still see the spodes and their unaimed mag dumps but at the actual range they are rare.

Old 01-13-2019, 03:44 PM

639 posts, read 1,778,154 times
And how do you get through the boring task of proofing your ARs reliability by firing 500 jam-free rounds without doing mag dumps?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 AM

13,554 posts, read 11,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
And how do you get through the boring task of proofing your ARs reliability by firing 500 jam-free rounds without doing mag dumps?

OK. Point taken. But I suppose it's how and why you do a dump and where that is the point. If someone is doing a dump for a reliability test fine. But just for the hell of spraying ammo it can be annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting