U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:17 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,614,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I agree they aren't, but I must say the only thing that has ever given a little trouble on my rather special 1911 Commander is one of Luke's magazines. It temporarily hung up, once. Why: sat for six months loaded, which isn't a great idea. I spray a bit of gun lube on all of them from time to time.

Classes I've attended, I've seen mags break, and I mean into three pieces no more or less, when they hit the ground during spead-reload drills. I've had that happen at least once. They're sturdy but stuff happens. In fact I put mine back together, as I recall, and it was great since (Springfield Armory, years ago).

So, yes: that is what you call "combat pistol-craft," the type I (was, am, will-be) taught until further notice by InSights and Thunder Ranch, in particular. And yes, those drills often have weak hand sweeping mags OUT in speed reloads if that sucker won't drop. Plop!...on the cement it goes. No wonder they break.

Separate mags, EDC from class? Meh, I'll challenge you on that one. I have a couple spares for my HK, and four or five total for my 1911. That's it. I'm way-careful about what mags I purchase, too.

Guns also break, as (we) know, in simple (tap/rack) to complicated (double-feed stovepipe) ways. When the rounds must be extracted from the chamber via an object down the barrel (ram of some kind), that's a "serious" malfunction. (At a class once, I believe the operator/student solved that after the 2nd or 3rd time by putting the pistol down and picking up something that worked instead).

To quoted last point: yes, some mags are bad from Day 1. Had that in an AR mag once, and threw it away after a troublesome day. As alluded-to above, I've seen it in others' pistol mags, or those imbeciles who go cheap on the magazines, which seems like a deadly error to me just to save a few bucks.

Luke's magazines? I'm not familiar with those. Got a link you could share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 PM

11,636 posts, read 15,096,544 times
I carry one speed loader for my .357.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 PM

2,855 posts, read 2,912,617 times
I usually carry one extra. I use Houston pouches. They are made out of nylon. I carry IWB and the soft pouch is very comfortable.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:02 PM

653 posts, read 1,792,044 times
Always in the vehicle, not very often on my person, but when I do it's always two magazines in a belt pouch on my weak side.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:14 PM

2,170 posts, read 743,315 times
I had been until my spare mag broke. Not sure I want to invest 30 bucks for a new one.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:18 PM

2,005 posts, read 731,056 times
yes, but not "on me".

Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 PM

3,789 posts, read 3,049,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Luke's magazines? I'm not familiar with those. Got a link you could share?
Sure, pardon: creator of my "semi-custom" Commander....standard offering with a moderate amount of add/removes and more...also builds each one himself. One man shop: Luke Volkmann, formerly of Ed Brown Products, who has been producing semi-customs since (about) 2009. Sooo: maybe it's a custom after all?

https://www.volkmannprecision.com/

Luke supplies a couple spare magazines with each Commander. I asked for two extras. I actually do not know what his magazines are based upon, if they are homemade or rebranded or what. Each has his stamp on one side, "Made in USA" on the other, and little else. I've found them perfectly reliable except for the mentioned.

From the site, which doesn't help answer the question, unf:

"Each pistol is extensively test-fired with an assortment of ammunition styles and brands. I test all of my premium magazines with your gun for true reliability. At Volkmann Precision I create your one-of-a-kind Masterpiece, one at a time."

The poor guy answers his own email, and promptly too, from his shop in Colorado. I asked him for something couple years ago (small job) and he communicated with me directly throughout. Not sure how he finds the time, but it's definitely a "customer first" kind of outfit.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:13 AM

5,813 posts, read 2,614,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Sure, pardon: creator of my "semi-custom" Commander....standard offering with a moderate amount of add/removes and more...also builds each one himself. One man shop: Luke Volkmann, formerly of Ed Brown Products, who has been producing semi-customs since (about) 2009. Sooo: maybe it's a custom after all?

https://www.volkmannprecision.com/

Luke supplies a couple spare magazines with each Commander. I asked for two extras. I actually do not know what his magazines are based upon, if they are homemade or rebranded or what. Each has his stamp on one side, "Made in USA" on the other, and little else. I've found them perfectly reliable except for the mentioned.

From the site, which doesn't help answer the question, unf:

"Each pistol is extensively test-fired with an assortment of ammunition styles and brands. I test all of my premium magazines with your gun for true reliability. At Volkmann Precision I create your one-of-a-kind Masterpiece, one at a time."

The poor guy answers his own email, and promptly too, from his shop in Colorado. I asked him for something couple years ago (small job) and he communicated with me directly throughout. Not sure how he finds the time, but it's definitely a "customer first" kind of outfit.
I’m jealous. Volkmann builds a very fine pistol.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM

115 posts, read 44,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Iím jealous. Volkmann builds a very fine pistol.
That sounds like "Pistol Envy"

Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 PM

2,290 posts, read 537,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
With your ccw, I mean. Iím considering it. Why do you carry it, or not?
Not as often as I should but I'm trying to fix that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting