U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 AM

15,001 posts, read 8,025,482 times

Advertisements

I agree it is a good idea to carry an extra mag. It is always better to have a back up, or more rounds available. That being said, depending on dress, I often do not carry an extra mag. I carry semi autos exclusively, and they do not fail. Yes everything can fail, but I am confident in them and the mags. If I am able, I do carry a spare, loaded mag, but that is probably only 30% of the time I carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 12:20 PM

18,948 posts, read 10,495,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I wonder if stopping to reload a weapon in a self defense situation can turn it into a manslaughter charge.
Well, my primary purpose of carrying a weapon is not to right wrongs but to guard my escape (and probably my wife's escape) through the best exit.

My pistol carries 12+1 rounds. If I end up needing more than that to guard my escape through the best exit, it will be that I had truly screwed up in my basic situational awareness.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:59 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,830,519 times
Quote:
I wonder if stopping to reload a weapon in a self defense situation can turn it into a manslaughter charge.

That depends on whether the extra shots were needed to stop the attack on yourself or involved persons.

If you reload and continue to shoot a person after the threat is clearly stopped, you are in trouble. That can be the case even if you are shooting without a reload.

Quite a few cases of that happening.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, my primary purpose of carrying a weapon is not to right wrongs but to guard my escape (and probably my wife's escape) through the best exit.

My pistol carries 12+1 rounds. If I end up needing more than that to guard my escape through the best exit, it will be that I had truly screwed up in my basic situational awareness.

I agree with the premise of escape. However, if you were in a Kenya Mall, Mumbai, San Bernadino, Sutherland, etc. horror show - your situational awareness is not related to the needing more ammunition.

Folks think most incidents, as said before, are one or two guys. They think they won't have a malfunction. They think that because they are competent square range shooters at 7 yards they will make effective hits in a high stress environment.

All these may not be true.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 PM

9,411 posts, read 5,158,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I agree it is a good idea to carry an extra mag. It is always better to have a back up, or more rounds available. That being said, depending on dress, I often do not carry an extra mag. I carry semi autos exclusively, and they do not fail. Yes everything can fail, but I am confident in them and the mags. If I am able, I do carry a spare, loaded mag, but that is probably only 30% of the time I carry.
One of the reasons I bought a Sig P239 is because my Kimber Ultra Carry is very tempermental. The last rounds tend to tumble at the top of magazines, especially the cheap ones, and there is a tendency to stove top on ejection.

So the Kimber got regulated to back up duty, a pistol kept at a location so if I needed a pistol, it was there. But given that we may not always have the choice of the pistol "handed to us", one trains to be able to clear jams and continued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

As to, "well, just how many rounds do you need?", a thing or two. First, how many people are coming after you? You are traveling across country, you are at a picnic stop, and the guys who did the bank heist need your car. You are taking a short cut home and you come across a gang initiation (ie, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...beth_Pe%C3%B1a ) ..... or worse, you're their target because of who you are, what your history is, what you know. The last reminds me of Kelly Johnson who did keep a pistol by his bed.

Even if I don't make it out, I will make it very expensive for them. Three magazines at least, that's how I am trained.

Another thing is that this "leaning" reminds me of the "counter" discussions I've seen about the AR-15 and hunting. Ie, "If you need more than 5 rounds to kill a deer, you're a bad hunter!" "You need to get a new sport!", as said by those who probably don't understand just what it means to be out in the wild, where they only see shooting one target. As to hunting, if one gets lost out in the wild, not carrying extra rounds, extra magazines becomes very quickly a painful mistake, such as in the inability to fire distress signals.

Now, does that apply to carrying a pistol and spare magazines? Probably not.........but one ought to think about their hardware for more than just their finger on the trigger. Such as, perhaps, one's spouse reloading a magazine while they are maintaining cover.

Finally, this thread has gotten me thinking about the way I train, such as the 3 magazine bout against multiple targets. One thing my father taught me, when I was talking about NAVTAG, is that in reality, you don't know when the war will start (unless, maybe, you start it). Equally, you probably don't have perfect luck in saying when it ends.

The 3 magazine bout ends with the last round fired and then a hold on target for a second or two, waiting for the exercise to be declared over. I am thinking that maybe at that "conclusion", I should insert a dummy magazine, to simulate the practice in reality of immediately reloading at the "conclusion". Hence, a 4th magazine.

Shrug. That's the nice thing about the single stack; they can be worn on the belt in stylish leather like a buck knife.

As far as packing that much fire power and if it comes to court, how will it go over, shrug, that's life. They shouldn't pick me for juries (so far, other things have precluded me) because of my background. I figure if I am ever on a hijacked airliner, they are going to shoot me first just on general principle. And if I am ever on the wrong end in court and they know my background to make a field day of it, probably my best defense is to be professional as I can be.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-10-2019 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
I agree with the premise of escape. However, if you were in a Kenya Mall, Mumbai, San Bernadino, Sutherland, etc. horror show - your situational awareness is not related to the needing more ammunition.
Yes, it still is. As I said, I'm escaping with my wife. A mall not only has the mall exits, but many stores also have exits. I will know which stores have exits, and it's unlikely those will be covered by terrorists.

I've lived in terrorist-likely countries, and I've had Communist rebels pointing guns at me.

If I need more than 13 rounds to escape my local mall or even my local mall parking lot, I've screwed up my situational awareness. And if I'm trying to escape with my wife, reloading is not in the picture.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:51 PM

How can you be sure that you won't be in the fight, even while fleeing? Restating your premise is not convincing.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
How can you be sure that you won't be in the fight, even while fleeing? Restating your premise is not convincing.
How do I know I'm not really going to need a rifle?

Describe to me a scenario in which my wife and I, sitting near the exit, will need several magazines--but not a rifle--to get out of the exit?

Old 02-11-2019, 02:38 PM

33,702 posts, read 31,043,277 times
On my hip, yes. Under my shirt, no.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 536,335 times
Quote:
If the threat is still active, no, it shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting