Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:56 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times

Advertisements

Carry Extra Magazine?

Sure.

I usually take a few editions of The Economist with me to have something to read on the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:20 PM

481 posts, read 422,227 times
Thanks everyone. I didn't know magazine failures were so common.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:50 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
They're not so common.

Magazine mistreatment is rather common among combat pistolcraft enthusiasts because they're always dropping magazines into gravel, dirt, mud, et cetera.

But those folk ought to know to keep their sporting magazines separate from their EDC magazines.

And there are the extra-cheap and non-OEM magazines that are shoddily made, as well as extreme designs such as extra-long extra-capacity magazines...you don't want to put those in your EDC pistol, either.

But the OEM and better-made 3rd party magazines of decent guns will either show a clear manufacturing fault when you first use them (and that won't be often at all) or else they'll still be working when your grandchildren are dead of old age. There's no reason for a magazine that starts out with decent quality construction and doesn't suffer mistreatment--gets a little exercise and kept reasonably clean--ever to malfunction.

There are hundred-year-old magazines still working just fine.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Never carry an extra. The whole purpose of a CCW is to allow you to escape a deadly situation. Not to stand there and trade shots with someone. Nor take down a gang of Mexican smugglers.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:42 AM

621 posts, read 310,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Yes.

Most failures are magazine related.

Replace the magazine, solve the malfunction.
Worth repeating.

Myself, I generally carry a revolver these days. When I carry an auto, I carry the gun on my right and two mags on my left. Sometimes I carry an extra magazine, more often not, mostly depending on what will fit in a pocket, or whether I desire to carry some different ammo. Obviously, with three magazines standard, whether I carry an extra one is probably not critical.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Didn't say it was common, but if it's worth carrying the gun....

Old 01-07-2019, 01:04 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Never carry an extra. The whole purpose of a CCW is to allow you to escape a deadly situation. Not to stand there and trade shots with someone. Nor take down a gang of Mexican smugglers.
Yup, I probably wouldn’t be able to fire off all 8 rounds anyway, as I’d be hustling my butt out of harm’s way ASAP.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
No. Target practice is easier than carrying extra stuff. I only carry 6 shots too.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
They're not so common.

Magazine mistreatment is rather common among combat pistolcraft enthusiasts because they're always dropping magazines into gravel, dirt, mud, et cetera.

But those folk ought to know to keep their sporting magazines separate from their EDC magazines.

And there are the extra-cheap and non-OEM magazines that are shoddily made, as well as extreme designs such as extra-long extra-capacity magazines...you don't want to put those in your EDC pistol, either.

But the OEM and better-made 3rd party magazines of decent guns will either show a clear manufacturing fault when you first use them (and that won't be often at all) or else they'll still be working when your grandchildren are dead of old age. There's no reason for a magazine that starts out with decent quality construction and doesn't suffer mistreatment--gets a little exercise and kept reasonably clean--ever to malfunction.

There are hundred-year-old magazines still working just fine.
I agree they aren't, but I must say the only thing that has ever given a little trouble on my rather special 1911 Commander is one of Luke's magazines. It temporarily hung up, once. Why: sat for six months loaded, which isn't a great idea. I spray a bit of gun lube on all of them from time to time.

Classes I've attended, I've seen mags break, and I mean into three pieces no more or less, when they hit the ground during spead-reload drills. I've had that happen at least once. They're sturdy but stuff happens. In fact I put mine back together, as I recall, and it was great since (Springfield Armory, years ago).

So, yes: that is what you call "combat pistol-craft," the type I (was, am, will-be) taught until further notice by InSights and Thunder Ranch, in particular. And yes, those drills often have weak hand sweeping mags OUT in speed reloads if that sucker won't drop. Plop!...on the cement it goes. No wonder they break.

Separate mags, EDC from class? Meh, I'll challenge you on that one. I have a couple spares for my HK, and four or five total for my 1911. That's it. I'm way-careful about what mags I purchase, too.

Guns also break, as (we) know, in simple (tap/rack) to complicated (double-feed stovepipe) ways. When the rounds must be extracted from the chamber via an object down the barrel (ram of some kind), that's a "serious" malfunction. (At a class once, I believe the operator/student solved that after the 2nd or 3rd time by putting the pistol down and picking up something that worked instead).

To quoted last point: yes, some mags are bad from Day 1. Had that in an AR mag once, and threw it away after a troublesome day. As alluded-to above, I've seen it in others' pistol mags, or those imbeciles who go cheap on the magazines, which seems like a deadly error to me just to save a few bucks.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I agree they aren't, but I must say the only thing that has ever given a little trouble on my rather special 1911 Commander is one of Luke's magazines. It temporarily hung up, once. Why: sat for six months loaded, which isn't a great idea. I spray a bit of gun lube on all of them from time to time.

Classes I've attended, I've seen mags break, and I mean into three pieces no more or less, when they hit the ground during spead-reload drills. I've had that happen at least once. They're sturdy but stuff happens. In fact I put mine back together, as I recall, and it was great since (Springfield Armory, years ago).

So, yes: that is what you call "combat pistol-craft," the type I (was, am, will-be) taught until further notice by InSights and Thunder Ranch, in particular. And yes, those drills often have weak hand sweeping mags OUT in speed reloads if that sucker won't drop. Plop!...on the cement it goes. No wonder they break.

Separate mags, EDC from class? Meh, I'll challenge you on that one. I have a couple spares for my HK, and four or five total for my 1911. That's it. I'm way-careful about what mags I purchase, too.

Guns also break, as (we) know, in simple (tap/rack) to complicated (double-feed stovepipe) ways. When the rounds must be extracted from the chamber via an object down the barrel (ram of some kind), that's a "serious" malfunction. (At a class once, I believe the operator/student solved that after the 2nd or 3rd time by putting the pistol down and picking up something that worked instead).

To quoted last point: yes, some mags are bad from Day 1. Had that in an AR mag once, and threw it away after a troublesome day. As alluded-to above, I've seen it in others' pistol mags, or those imbeciles who go cheap on the magazines, which seems like a deadly error to me just to save a few bucks.
I owned a 1911 and Combat Commander back in the 80s. That vintage of gun is rather finicky about the shape of the magazine lips to the extent that it could be slightly different from gun to gun, particularly if the gun itself has had any accuratizing work done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting