U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 AM

9,454 posts, read 5,182,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetiteGem View Post
My sister is considering buying a gun now that she has moved to the city (legal in her area). I wanted to ask what would be a good choice for her, without too much difficulty to maneuver. Please and thank you.
Generally, I would say a single stack semi auto. Why? Two things then some others.

First of all, a double stack is a lot of gun to wrap one's hand around and even though the majority of people shoot double handed, any pistol must be able to be operated entirely one handed to be totally effective. If one is not comfortable operating this or that pistol, they are less likely to carry it, less likely to train with it and if the day it is needed is the day that one decided not to carry it for such reasons, we-ll.......

About being able to operate this or that pistol one handed. Someone is trying to yank you out of a car and you can reach your gun with only one hand. Can you fire it like that?

Secondly, "What about you, Tamara, do you use a single stack?". No, my primary is a H&K USP but over the years, I am feeling in the joints what expanding my hand around that double stack has done. Just something to keep in mind.

As far as a revolver to a semi auto? I go for the quick, one handed reload of an semi auto, where I can wear the magazines decently well concealed, such as a knife pouch, to a revolver.

Further, on that notion, I would avoid those pistols where it cannot be fired if the magazine is not inserted. The Marines taught us to reload with one in the pipe, entirely by touch, with our eyes out over the barrel. The feature of no fire if the magazine is not inserted is great for safety but lacking if one is in a shooting situation.

About magazines. A concealed holster salesman once noted to me that if I, as a civilian, needed more than one magazine, I was in the wrong gun fight. Quite frankly, I don't want to be in any gun fight. Minimal magazine load out, as I have been trained in military and civilian alike, is three magazines. One in the pistol and two spares. That's the minimum. Further, don't go cheap on magazines. I find for my Kimber Ultra Carry, $15 1911 magazines are a loser since the last few rounds tend to tumble at the top and produce jams. So I go for the $45 ones, with a full stepped follower. They may cost as much as my USP magazines, but that's life.

What caliber? The line of thought about if society ever goes south, the most available calibers will be 9mm and .22. I don't shoot .40 because it is not a well established caliber in the market. I can go with 9mm because it is both a round in my pistols and in my Uzi carbine. .380 is popular in the pistols being sold but during the last ammo shortage, it was very hard to find. By practice, I use .45 but in doing so, I have fewer rounds in the magazine and a lot more 9mm can be bought for the price of .45. Personally, I do believe that .45 will finish the job.

Hence, caliber can depend from many different viewpoints.

Good luck!

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-04-2019 at 07:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 07:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 507,619 times
380 is a good caliber for personal defense.......huge downside to this if you don't know the pertinet law........

Old 02-08-2019, 11:05 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,833,290 times
Quote:
A concealed holster salesman once noted to me that if I, as a civilian, needed more than one magazine, I was in the wrong gun fight.

If you are in any gun fight as a civilian you are in the wrong gun fight. However, this guy is an idiot. Salesman is not a credentialed degree for this kind of problem.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:11 PM

1,136 posts, read 511,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
If you are in any gun fight as a civilian you are in the wrong gun fight. However, this guy is an idiot. Salesman is not a credentialed degree for this kind of problem.

Every one should ALWAYS try to avoid or de-escalate a situation. The only problem is we don't get to pick or choose what the other parties actions will be. The best fight us the one you don't end up in.

A gun with only one magazine is better than no guns

A spare mag is better than not having a spare

The best gun is the one you are actually willing and able to carry everywhere allowed. A G17 is great but if you aren't going to have it with you it doesn't do much good. If you can carry a G42 (single stack 380 ACP 6RDS) is far better than carrying nothing.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:23 PM

1,136 posts, read 511,723 times
People are also forgetting that often times the would be victim merely brandishing a gun is enough to make a predator stop in their tracks and change their course of action and leave to find some easier target.

These events happen regularly and are difficult to quantify because there is very rarely any official report made on it. So again having any gun is better than no gun. Always give yourself a chance to defend yourself.

Old Today, 10:25 PM

8,741 posts, read 4,824,768 times
smith and wesson hammerless ladies 38
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or