Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 06:08 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,322 times

Advertisements

With all the health issues I have had to deal with in the last 12 months, I've only got to go shooting probably 3 times in the last 12 months. It's been 5 months since my last trip.

I put about 200 rounds thru my daily carry gun today - my HK P2000. Did pretty well - especially considering it's been 5 months.

I like that little gun. Next month will be 4 years that I have been carrying it.

Anyway, I had a nice time today

Old 01-27-2019, 07:25 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
People are surprised when I tell them that one of the things I like most about shooting is the contemplative, almost meditative, aspect of it. From what I can tell, it seems their surprise seems to concern the loud sound and the sudden, energetic aspect of firearms. I tell them it’s just like archery but with a bang instead of a twang.

There’s also the satisfaction of handling a precision piece of machinery. Finally, I get a lot of pleasure out of introducing novices to the world of firearms and shooting (I’m a certified intructor and RSO). It’s a really great hobby, enjoyable by a huge variety of people.

I remember an older fellow who used to come into the range with his wife. She would push a cart with their equipment (always really nice selection of handguns). He could barely walk. He told me he had a stroke several years earlier and the left side of his body is almost paralyzed. Nevertheless, he gets up to the line, loads and handles his firearm with one hand, has to lean against the booth partition to steady himself and actually shoots almost as well as his wife. I always thought it was so cool to see them getting out and doing something because in his condition, any other kind of physical activity is very unlikely. Anyway, good for you OP.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:18 AM

Appreciate it.

Yes, it is fun and relaxing - especially when its been a while since you've gone...

Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 AM

48 posts, read 29,363 times
When it warms up a little more, the wife and I plan to hit the range at Dragonman's. I got her a left handed .22 Savage for her anniversary gift, so she is looking forward to trying it out.

I used to shoot American style trap a long time ago. I do miss the camaraderie. Now matter where you went for shoot in tournaments, folks were always friendly and open. Met a lot of great folks from all walks of life.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:24 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Yes, "relaxing". That's it! Sometimes I wish it wasn't so loud though. At those times, I'll shoot shorts out of the Single Six. That can be downright peaceful. Only six little "puffs", then you have to take the time to reload, which isn't a fast thing.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-27-2019, 08:31 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yes, "relaxing". That's it! Sometimes I wish it wasn't so loud though. At those times, I'll shoot shorts out of the Single Six. That can be downright peaceful. Only six little "puffs", then you have to take the time to reload, which isn't a fast thing.
That's one of the reasons I enjoy shooting my Ruger SR22, quiet and ammo is on the cheap

Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Have any of you thought about getting a pellet rifle ? There are a lot of nice ones for a couple of hundred bucks and you can shoot them in your basement or garage, etc. Not loud but very accurate and a lot of fun. I have several and use them for pest control mostly. But I have a 60' basement range and shoot down there when its too cold outside. I'm not talking about BB guns but a decent pellet rifle.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Have any of you thought about getting a pellet rifle ? There are a lot of nice ones for a couple of hundred bucks and you can shoot them in your basement or garage, etc. Not loud but very accurate and a lot of fun. I have several and use them for pest control mostly. But I have a 60' basement range and shoot down there when its too cold outside. I'm not talking about BB guns but a decent pellet rifle.
Thought about, however I'd rather invest in something that will get me out of the house and out to the range

Old 01-27-2019, 08:44 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I shoot mine in my backyard all the time. My maximum distance is about 40 yds but both my .22 and .25 rifles will hold a 1/2" pattern at that distance. It's a good way to practice and cheap too.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I live in a condo, so that won't happen

But, I am having neck problems. I actually sold my SCAR 16s because I just can't sit there at the range with a rifle anymore. So, handguns are what it is going to be.

But, I carry a gun daily - so, I wanna stay in practice with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting