U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 10:35 PM

373 posts, read 154,256 times

Advertisements

New one is being shipped out right now by Walther. I'm really leaning towards buying it, but I've read on some forums how the gun just "isn't worth it" compared to modern handguns.

I was considering buying it for its slimmer profile, as my only other handgun is a glock 26 (which does feel slightly chunky when carrying, but maybe I'm just nervous about printing), but I have to ask, has anyone used a Walther PPK or PPK/s before? Carried it as CCW? What is it like to shoot compared to more "modern weapons"? Would you recommend it?

Here's a video of the new PPK being shown off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnj7Cqsh0Pk

Also, obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU98uP7pXA8

But since I'm a younger fellow, this is my generation's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Uy9jPxxwI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 11:52 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,848,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
New one is being shipped out right now by Walther. I'm really leaning towards buying it, but I've read on some forums how the gun just "isn't worth it" compared to modern handguns.

I was considering buying it for its slimmer profile, as my only other handgun is a glock 26 (which does feel slightly chunky when carrying, but maybe I'm just nervous about printing), but I have to ask, has anyone used a Walther PPK or PPK/s before? Carried it as CCW? What is it like to shoot compared to more "modern weapons"? Would you recommend it?

But since I'm a younger fellow, this is my generation's version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Uy9jPxxwI
I carried q Walther PPK/s in .380 for at least 25 years. Comfortable and dependable.

If you go that way you should be happy.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I carried q Walther PPK/s in .380 for at least 25 years. Comfortable and dependable.

If you go that way you should be happy.
Thanks! Sounds quite reliable.

Old 02-02-2019, 06:14 AM

15,105 posts, read 8,073,946 times
I don't like them. I don't find them comfortable to shoot. There are much better, lighter, more reliable choices today, and I like old designs. Yes, I own an old German made Walther PP which is slightly larger but still hurts the webbing of my hand to shoot. They are also prone to slide bite.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't like them. I don't find them comfortable to shoot. There are much better, lighter, more reliable choices today, and I like old designs. Yes, I own an old German made Walther PP which is slightly larger but still hurts the webbing of my hand to shoot. They are also prone to slide bite.
I think they said they modified the beaver tail to try and cut down on slide bite, but I imagine that alone won't negate the pain on the webbing.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 AM

655 posts, read 1,794,549 times
A little snappy in .380, but carried and concealed nicely for several years for me.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:10 PM

13,717 posts, read 43,871,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post

I guess it depends on how your hands are laid out, finger length, meaty or bony hand. I have a rather bony hand with longer fingers, and for me the PP/PPK are quite comfortable to shoot. I have never had an issue with slide bite on any automatic I have shot. I can't pick up a 1911 with a normal grip and fail to actuate the grip safety. But I know guys have had all these problems.

A guy with a meaty hand and short fingers would find things different from me.

I guess like any other gat, see if it fits *you*, if it fits and you like it, buy it I guess.

Specifically on .32 ACP guns - the old PP/PPK, the Berettas made during WWII, other "old school" guns need ammo loaded to CIP (European) spec or they won't cycle reliably. These old school guns won't cycle with most light-bullet domestic ammo. Smaller .32 like the Beretta Tomcat, on the other hand, can be damaged by CIP loads and should only use the domestic ammo.

You should of course do some considerable shooting with a gun you will CCW carry, particularly automatics. But the above note about .32 ACP needs to be kept in mind.

If you want "good" ammo other than just plain hardball for a .32 PP/PPK - you will have to "roll your own".

Old 02-04-2019, 03:13 PM

15,105 posts, read 8,073,946 times
^^^^^I have XXL hands but not "beefy", with long fingers to the point I find it hard to find even XXL gloves to fit so I am probably an anomaly. For instance, while I love my Browning Hi Power, and shoot it well, the trigger reach is short for me. The CZ-75 is perfect. So, the Walther, especially with the original frame isn't a good fit for my hand. Others may find it just fine.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:30 AM

1,136 posts, read 513,251 times
It's a fine gun but IMO there are better modern choices to fill a similar role.

I guess it just comes down to your personal preference. If you like it go for it

And I do like walthers I own a PPSM2 that I really like.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:36 PM

2,837 posts, read 1,848,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

Specifically on .32 ACP guns - the old PP/PPK, the Berettas made during WWII, other "old school" guns need ammo loaded to CIP (European) spec or they won't cycle reliably. These old school guns won't cycle with most light-bullet domestic ammo. Smaller .32 like the Beretta Tomcat, on the other hand, can be damaged by CIP loads and should only use the domestic ammo.

You should of course do some considerable shooting with a gun you will CCW carry, particularly automatics. But the above note about .32 ACP needs to be kept in mind.

If you want "good" ammo other than just plain hardball for a .32 PP/PPK - you will have to "roll your own".
This is kind of confusing me.

Is there a hotter .32 before you get to .380?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting