U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 11:48 AM

1,329 posts, read 403,165 times

Advertisements

I’m curious. The 1911 is enormously popular and yet JM Browning’s final design (I’m aware it was “completed” after him) and presumably his best effort, seems to remain a kind of obscure niche firearm. I would see VERY few of them come into the range where I worked for a couple years. We didn’t have a rental one either (much to my disappointment). The folks that had them did seem to really like them.

Anyway, for those of you that have 1911s, has there ever been any desire to have a Hi-Power? Purely as a firearm, disregarding any history attached to it, I like my limited experience with it better than 1911s. Just curious........

I have a collectible 1911, don’t shoot it, otherwise I’m mostly Glock. If I was in buying mode though, a Hi-Power would be on my list I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 PM

655 posts, read 1,794,275 times
I had the desire since Granddaddy pulled one out of the GTO console around 1969. I satisfied that itch with a high grade custom this last year. FN stopped manufacturing them late last year, so if you want a nice one you need to be keeping your eyes open for a good used one. I am already seeing higher ask prices for all conditions at gun shows, but don’t know yet if any are selling at those asking prices.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 PM

814 posts, read 1,769,291 times
Yeah, I would like to have one but they were always kind of expensive. Now that Browning has quit making them, they're probably not going to get any cheaper, either.

So I missed the boat. But, it's not something I can't do without.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM

15,098 posts, read 8,070,127 times
You can still get them used for a fair price. I bought a MK III Hi Power new in 1994 which I still own, and shoot regularly. They weren't as popular as the 1911 because they weren't used by our military as standard issue, and not nearly as available as other American made guns here. It was never imported in numbers to compete with the 1911. FN produced all the real Browning, and FN Hi Powers in Belgium, and later assembled them in Portugal. Great pistols.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:00 PM

Current values look to be no more than $1,000+/- for a mint gun with box, papers, etc. Nickle or chrome is gonna be more, sometimes a lot more, but very nice guns can still be had in the $900 to $600 range. Hi-Powers are a historically significant pistol, and at the same time the first of the “Wonder Nines” to catch the attention of America’s shooting community. They feel great in the hand and get real smooth with minor modifications. Fourteen rounds of goodness is usually enough.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:51 AM

3,801 posts, read 3,062,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Anyway, for those of you that have 1911s, has there ever been any desire to have a Hi-Power? Purely as a firearm, disregarding any history attached to it, I like my limited experience with it better than 1911s. Just curious........

I have a collectible 1911, donít shoot it, otherwise Iím mostly Glock. If I was in buying mode though, a Hi-Power would be on my list I think.
Good question. Being a 1911 nerd, or at least "sort-of" with one custom (Volkmann Commander) only, spec'd out the way I wanted it, I've pondered the Hi-Power as well. I've searched for, and never quite found, a reason to buy one of those or a Beretta 92FS. I had a full size 9mm way back in the day, one of the Wonder 9s: a SiG Sauer P226, bought in 1990 after shooting a LOT of Wonder 9s at the rental range in Reno, NV. And that did include the Hi-Power....and the Beretta, and some S&Ws, and a Ruger that was then-new: P85, I think. Hated that one.

I did NOT shoot an HK USP, they didn't have one. I did years later and cursed that I'd not found that first. For service pistols, I am a total HK fanboy anymore. The USP, HK45, and now striker fired VP9 just "work" for me. Late 1990s, I spent a lot of time at the rental range in Bellevue WA playing with HKs and tons of other calibers so I could have a reasonably informed opinion of how they worked...for me at least.

Anyway: remember, heyday of the Wonder 9s was in the mid '80s into the 1990s. Nothing wrong with the idea, if blasting your target six times is your solution to "the problem." Single-stack 1911s, like my Commander (same frame as full-size) hold about 7 rounds, so pick your target wisely. The 1911 renaissance started "about" 1996 when the first Kimbers came out. I had one, in 1998; for what it was damned if that wasn't a great full-size 1911. So I bought another, used for years w/o complaint.

And, 9mm got a great big kick in the bazoobies after the 1986 FBI shootout/debacle in Miami. Most know what I'm referencing, and if you don't read the highly-detailed after action report online, it reads like a Michael Mann bank shootout script. At the time most 9mm I shot was hardball, because that's just what there was. Cheap, too. That SIG would shoot anything from weak Blazers to some real-hot Egyptian submachine gun surplus I found somewhere, probably 300fps between the two, for a round nominally going about 1,100 fps or so most of the time.

So that all goes to why the Hi-Power is a bit fringe-y, I think: why shoot a Wonder 9 that is single action like the 1911, when you can have a 1911 Commander 45ACP that's smaller and tosses more lead down range? Never mind that 1911s can be finicky as all-hell, and most 9mm are NOT, which is why the caliber has always been so popular I figure. I remember damn few FTFs in my several 9mm owned 1990-current. My .45s usually worked, but not always. Tap/rack solved it, but still.

I figure if someone tossed me a great deal on a Beretta or Hi-Power tomorrow, Monday morning I'd send it to Robar for NP3+ coating for a couple hundred bucks: best coating one can possibly put on a pistol, IMO. After that...guess it would sit, unless I marched off to war. Whereby I'd take the Commander, or a lot of other 9mms (HK) before I picked up the Hi-Power. So...worthless to me, frankly, other than collector value. Until my HK VP9SK, I swore up and down that I shot 45acp better "always". Not anymore. Times change. Glocks, HKs, and several other duty gun brands simply bury old timer 9mms.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 785,462 times
I have owned several Hi-Power's; like all of them, for larger hands it can bite if the hammer comes back on your hand. But great overall hand gun.

I think also what has not been good for the Browning Hi-Power, is that it is 13 round capacity, and other high capacity nine millimeters hold 15 or more rounds per magazine; also Browning Hi-Power's have never been on the cheaper side, new they could have been towards the end $1000 or so.

But since they were somewhat expensive and limited capacity other choices from other manufactures took over.

Case in point Sig Sauers have always felt better in my hand than other manufactures, but that is me.

Since the Browning Hi-Power is evolved from the 1911, you have to like that platform first, before the Browning Hi-Power would even appeal to you. It has a hammer fired instead of being striker fired, it is a single action like the 1911 it will not fire unless the hammer is pulled all the way back.

But it is thinner at the slide than most 9 millimeters, it is very accurate and in most cases it will fit into the 1911 holsters. So if you are buying a High-Power you already like the platform, rather than just buying a 9 millimeter pistol.

It has at least been used by the hero in two action movies, "The Bodyguard" and "Beverly Hills Cop's" movies. It was not advertised by the actor as this is what I am carrying, but if you know it, you knew what they were caring.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:36 PM

MEC-GAR makes 15 and 20-round magazines now for the Hi-Power.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:39 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,184,503 times
Real quick.

I have one, bought it because it was what was available, I was shopping for the common round pistol to the Uzi for the ready locker, and it was the 2016 election year.

It's okay but my major complaint is the safety that it won't fire without the magazine inserted. Great for safety, lousy for a gun fight.

Got to run.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,459,176 times
You can buy a new Hi Power as they still make them. It won't wear the Browning name but several companies are making the Hi Power. FEG out of Hungary bought the machinery to make the Hi Power and is selling the gun as their P9R pistol. There is also an arms company out of India making the Hi Power as well. The FEG is every bit as good as the original. I haven't seen an India made pistol in the States so have no clue about that one.The BEST Hi Power made will have "Made in Belgium" on the gun.
https://www.genitron.com/Handgun/FEG...9-mm/Variant-1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting