Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:49 AM

79 posts, read 103,415 times

Advertisements

I have heard all this clap trap over 38 years of using WD for my you guessed it guns. All this crap about WD leaving behind a residue is bunk. What WD does is to dissolve grease and gunk in and around your gun. It will then drip out and if the WD evaporates it will leave the grease and gunk it had dissolved in it. from the WD manufacture site fact page "Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal."

Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40® can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40® to attract fish.

I have used WD for years on my guns. I will put steel mags in a zip lock spray in WD and they will be good as new for years. I also will mix in a bit of rigs grease. As the oil left behind after the propellant evaporates is very low viscosity. For long term storage the rigs grease will work better if not in some type of retainer such as a zip lock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,754,305 times
I am sure you are right - there is so much half-baked myth and mystical advice around guns that gets repeated again and again in gun forums, solvents and cleaners in particular.
I've heard of people use motor oil, probably works just as well. Me I use Hoppes to clean, a CLP as a cleaner/lubricant, and RemOil from time to time. No particular reasons, I just purchased them years ago. The CLP, which was fairly expensive, I purchased based on good reviews so I thought I would give it a try (probably the same myth sources).

Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,301,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireking View Post
Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil.

Fact: Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40® can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40® to attract fish.

That did sound kinda fishy to me.

And Sorry Charlie really is trademarked:

Mark Image
Word Mark SORRY CHARLIE
Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely, men's, women's, children's and infant's sweaters, sweatshirts, jerseys, headwear, neckwear, pants, sweatpants, shorts, footwear and cloth bibs
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 86461147
Filing Date November 21, 2014
Current Basis 1B
Original Filing Basis 1B
Published for Opposition March 3, 2015
Owner (APPLICANT) Starkist Co. CORPORATION DELAWARE 225 North Shore Drive, Suite 400 Pittsburgh PENNSYLVANIA 152125834
Attorney of Record David V. Radack
Prior Registrations 0897004;2997884;4381356;4486432;AND OTHERS
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Old 10-18-2016, 09:40 AM

My post was in no way to put down other oils or lubs. I love Rigs grease, rem oil, 3in1 and marvel mystery oil are all great. Long term I would vote for Rigs grease. I have heard a lot of love for ATF and synthetic motor oil. But I use WD bought in gallon cans put in spray pump bottles and used to clean barrels after shooting. My beef comes in when people say there is a varnish or gum in the WD that will dry and gum up your gun after evaporation. If these were really the case it would have been off the market due to no one using it. I have had the same thing with many other lubes where I used solvent based lulbes and it dissolves the grease and grime and then pools and evaporates leaving a bunch of gum. Its not causality, its why many people use WD for cleaning old duct tape residue or as a goo be gone.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
I think some people who are not satisfied with WD-40 performance don't read the can. It says right on the label "Shake before using". You no shaka the can, it no worka right.

WD stands for "Water Displacer", and that is where the product really shines. It's an OK lubricant, but for guns Break Free is the lube and cleaner of choice for me. It's good enough for the Marines, (or at least it was around 1981) so that makes it good enough for me. For a single, idiot-resistant lube/cleaner, it's hard to beat. Of course if you have a heavily copper fouled barrel, something like Sweet's will get it clean sooner.

Anyone who is cleaning with a water-based cleaning solution, like after black powder or if you find some old corrosive-primed ammo, WD is excellent for getting the last trace of water out of the bore.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think some people who are not satisfied with WD-40 performance don't read the can. It says right on the label "Shake before using". You no shaka the can, it no worka right.

WD stands for "Water Displacer", and that is where the product really shines. It's an OK lubricant, but for guns Break Free is the lube and cleaner of choice for me. It's good enough for the Marines, (or at least it was around 1981) so that makes it good enough for me. For a single, idiot-resistant lube/cleaner, it's hard to beat. Of course if you have a heavily copper fouled barrel, something like Sweet's will get it clean sooner.

Anyone who is cleaning with a water-based cleaning solution, like after black powder or if you find some old corrosive-primed ammo, WD is excellent for getting the last trace of water out of the bore.
Your comment reminds of of people who are upset at their annuity. They don't understand what the product does and have unreal expectations then get upset when it does not meat them. WD works well for what it does but its not a long term rust preventative. If left in the open it will evaporate leaving a very light oil that drys out fast. I have used it though on guns and mags by putting them in a zip lock bag and spraying the metal down and zipping the bag shut. I then zip the bag almost shut leaving a small bit and use a vacuum to remove the air and zip it closed making very little air in the bag. I just took out a Walther PPK I did this to over 5 years ago and put in my safe. Looked like the day I put it in. WD was still there.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:02 AM

15,932 posts, read 12,176,639 times
Correct. WD-40 actually holds up pretty well in this rust test as well, outperforming many more expensive products... (though I went and bought myself the Eezox) .. the above mentioned "Break Free" also outperforms the WD-40. Most of the other products do not.

Which Lube Protects Best? Part 2 (Pics) - AR15.COM

Last edited by sholomar; 10-21-2016 at 03:16 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 03:19 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,105,658 times
What will wd40 do if it drips on the wood stock?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
What will wd40 do if it drips on the wood stock?
I have had it darken my wood if I put too much on and it drains to the wood. I buy it by the gallon and then put some in a spray bottle with rigs grease and put a coat on the gun metal. Works well for me.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM

806 posts, read 869,003 times
I agree that there are many negative wives tales about WD40 . There are MANY other lubricants that are superior but if that's all you got , use it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting