Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I was taught that you never say you have a "gun". Instead, I was advised to say I had a "firearm", (and also posses a permit to carry concealed). Then, explain where it is and how it is configured.

Not a bad idea, I have only been pulled over 1 time in many years. And hear is me knocking on wood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 07:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I can confirm this, I have been pulled over, I kept my hands outside my driver window, told the officer that I had a gun on me and wanted to make sure the officer was say, I did not have a issue either. The officer was just be slow in your movements.
How did this topic turn? Hope we are not hijacking the OP's thread on this, apologizes to OP - I think there have been threads on this, with varied responses. I would never say to an officer "I have a gun on me" before you produce the carry permit...yikes.
Personally I think it's sufficient just to give him your carry permit and not say a word, that's all that's needed, the officer knows what to ask from there. In most cases, unless you get some jerk officer, they simply won't care. Some states they already know by running the plates, some states by law you don't have to disclose to the officer that you are carrying (I would anyways, but there is that option).

Old 03-05-2019, 07:30 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Lots of good advice here.

While an LTC is handy to buy new guns at an FFL and carry concealed or openly, it is not necessary just to transport a handgun around in your car (even between Texas & Florida).
It’s wise to be careful about transporting a firearm. When you transport a firearm across state lines, there are some federal refulations that are worth knowing. If you’re just transporting for range time, etc., the gun and ammo must be separately housed and not immediately accessible to the driver. If you have CCW and transporting across state lines which have mutual reciprocity, it’s not such a big deal. However, in Maryland for example, unless you have a Maryland CCW (Maryland has no reciprocity) it is forbidden to even transport a firearm except under the specific conditions defined under Maryland code. We badly need national reciprocity.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
How did this topic turn? Hope we are not hijacking the OP's thread on this, apologizes to OP - I think there have been threads on this, with varied responses. I would never say to an officer "I have a gun on me" before you produce the carry permit...yikes.
Personally I think it's sufficient just to give him your carry permit and not say a word, that's all that's needed, the officer knows what to ask from there. In most cases, unless you get some jerk officer, they simply won't care. Some states they already know by running the plates, some states by law you don't have to disclose to the officer that you are carrying (I would anyways, but there is that option).

No issues what's so ever, I was polite to the officer, and the officer was polite to me. I was allowed to continue without any kind of ticket.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
No issues what's so ever, I was polite to the officer, and the officer was polite to me. I was allowed to continue without any kind of ticket.
Just don't be this guy...

https://www.twincities.com/2016/07/1...hooting-death/

But each class is told repeatedly how to handle a traffic stop or any encounter with law enforcement, he said. Students are taught to comply with every demand, hand over their permits to carry with their driver’s licenses and calmly answer follow-up questions about licensed firearms, including where they are. “We make several jokes about it during class: ‘I have a gun’ is not the way to say you have a gun on you,” Wellman said

Old 03-06-2019, 08:05 AM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
I’ve been stopped twice in my 25 years of carrying legally. No hassles at all, except when one officer inquiried what type of firearm I had in the console, he almost laughed when informed it was a Keltec .32.

No tickets were issued even though I was guilty of driving about 10mph over the limit each time.

I did upgrade to a 9mm though.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:21 PM

233 posts, read 225,662 times
going on 89 this year. shooter past 70 + years.... lot of shooting while in the military, especially Korea in 1951.
Also good amount of shooting while a police officer, before I retired. Also a police firearms instructor. Still manage to
pop off a few rounds with my grandsons. Firm believer in teaching kids to shoot at a young age. Taught all my kids
and grandchildren to shoot. Never had any of my kids take out my firearms to "play with". They learned to respect
firearms and deal with them in a safe manner.
Older people on the range. Yes, Yes just like me. Never too late to learn. My kids never 'fooled' with my firearms
because when they were old enough they helped me clean them. They handled guns often and so they were not
curious or tend to 'fool' with firearms right up to present time......... I believe anti-gunners should worry about
WEED that is becoming ramped in the United States. Alcohol, and now legal drugs. Kids are dying by the hundreds
from drugs NOT BULLETS. Wake up America, it's drugs that are killing the kids as opposed to firearms...... My 2 cents

Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 PM

233 posts, read 225,662 times
I'm going on 89 and still shoot every so often. shooting over 70 years and love it. also, taught my children to shoot
and respect firearms, which they still do. another grandson is going to join us in shooting. bought a 38 special and
Ruger Mark 11, 22 caliber. he's waiting for his pistol permits.. by all means, get a pistol and start shooting........

Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I grew up in country—learned to shoot rifle and went deer hunting and coon hunting w/my dad—along with my sister...when my dad was alive my husband and I would use a place he took care of to shoot 22 rifle for target practice—we taught our kids when they were young to respect guns and they would shoot sometimes
So guns are just tools to me—
Am 70 now and considering buying an appropriate hand gun for me to shoot and going to gun range for hobby
Probably get permit to carry to make it easier to transport gun back and forth when we travel by car

Is my age going to make me a fish out of water if I start doing this?
When younger I was a very good shot—better than my husband usually—and I enjoyed target shooting—
Does it depend lot on the local area as to seniors at ranges?
We have home in DFW TX area and south of Sarasota FL
There are gun ranges in both areas
My daughter/SIL in FL have friends their age who go to gun range for target shooting

Just curious

And how do you choose what factors make a good/safe gun range?
I’m in the exact situation as you are and the same age, how ironic is that?

Before retiring to Virginia from the NE, I never used or owned a gun and never even thought about it once here in Virginia. We have one couple we’re friendly with and he happens to own a handgun and invited me to go with him to the brand new local range.

Sure enough I did and he was surprised how well I did and said I was a natural. Well I went one additional time this week, loved it even more and today I’m going out to price a Ruger SR 22 pistol.

It’s never too late to stay active and to find things you enjoy to do. I see many old couples and people at the range and I’m not embarrassed to be starting at this stage of my life.

Better late than never, as they say!

Old 05-16-2019, 04:45 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I grew up in country—learned to shoot rifle and went deer hunting and coon hunting w/my dad—along with my sister...when my dad was alive my husband and I would use a place he took care of to shoot 22 rifle for target practice—we taught our kids when they were young to respect guns and they would shoot sometimes
So guns are just tools to me—
Am 70 now and considering buying an appropriate hand gun for me to shoot and going to gun range for hobby
Probably get permit to carry to make it easier to transport gun back and forth when we travel by car

Is my age going to make me a fish out of water if I start doing this?
When younger I was a very good shot—better than my husband usually—and I enjoyed target shooting—
Does it depend lot on the local area as to seniors at ranges?
We have home in DFW TX area and south of Sarasota FL
There are gun ranges in both areas
My daughter/SIL in FL have friends their age who go to gun range for target shooting

Just curious

And how do you choose what factors make a good/safe gun range?

I compete in MoM steel bowling pins and ICORE with many people over 70. One guy is well into his 80s and shoots from a Rascal scooter and his wife shoots also from a walker. They don't compete in Grand Master class with Doug Keonig Julie Golob and Molly Smith but they have a ball in C and B class and do just fine.

You'll do just fine. I'm sure the people you'll be shooting with will be a lot of help as well. The shooting community is made up a very good people who are happy to help fellow shooters who need it. Answering questions about guns and gear and giving instruction. I would recommend trying some competition. That That's where you'll meet shooters like I just described.

Be careful with CCW classes. The competition circles are a good place to find a proper and truly instructional CCW course. My competition club here runs a course and it's instructors a REAL shooters. Don't be fooled by some "shake n bake" course run by wannabe Rambos who have pictures of themselves on the classroom wall wearing camoflauge and face paint.

You will know them when you see them. We call them the "tacticool crowd." Other than that I'm sure you will do quite well. Go for the Gusto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting