Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2022, 08:14 PM

177 posts, read 125,565 times

Advertisements

Failure to report the theft of a firearm is also a crime in several states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 09:16 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
Failure to report the theft of a firearm is also a crime in several states.
How do you report a theft of firearm if you don't know it's been stolen? It's like having to report if you are pregnant but just had sex. Stupid laws.

Old 01-22-2022, 10:10 PM

177 posts, read 125,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How do you report a theft of firearm if you don't know it's been stolen? It's like having to report if you are pregnant but just had sex. Stupid laws.
You’d need to ask your legislators. They make tons of silly laws because people can’t be grown ups.

Old 01-23-2022, 02:51 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Without a serial number or a distinctive owner-applied mark, you are never going to see them again.

You say you were a "kid." Is that literally or figuratively? Where they actually your guns, or a family member's guns?

Old 01-23-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
You’d need to ask your legislators. They make tons of silly laws because people can’t be grown ups.
This is CA, a lost cause for anything firearm related. We have an "assault weapons" ban but you can still buy them.

I have a LOT of older firearms with no serial number. I just cataloged everything I have with my insurance so it's covered.

Old 01-23-2022, 10:41 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You can report missing or stolen. I had an old Stevens .410/.22 that I reported missing or stolen. When I lived in WV we had a campfire/camping area along the river bottom of our property. I used to keep that rifle handy in case coons or possums or fox came around (rabies was a big problem). I think I left it leaning on a wooden lantern post down there and forgot about it when we packed up and went back to the house.

We used to have all manner of young people trespass because of the water access in that area, so I assume it was taken, however not being entirely positive it was stolen (I could have leaned it against a tree for all I can remember)- I reported it lost or stolen.

In any event there is a record with the sheriff that the firearm is no longer in my possession.

It never resurfaced.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You can report missing or stolen. I had an old Stevens .410/.22 that I reported missing or stolen. When I lived in WV we had a campfire/camping area along the river bottom of our property. I used to keep that rifle handy in case coons or possums or fox came around (rabies was a big problem). I think I left it leaning on a wooden lantern post down there and forgot about it when we packed up and went back to the house.

We used to have all manner of young people trespass because of the water access in that area, so I assume it was taken, however not being entirely positive it was stolen (I could have leaned it against a tree for all I can remember)- I reported it lost or stolen.

In any event there is a record with the sheriff that the firearm is no longer in my possession.

It never resurfaced.
I'll report it when I notice it of course but I have so many I don't do an inventory every night that would really get tiring.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:13 PM

3,265 posts, read 1,745,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

<snip>
I keep a log of my firearms with serial numbers and photo's. If they get stolen or burned in a fire my insurance agent will be able to compensate me accordingly.
Smart move. I do the same, I have receipts for every one bought in a retail transaction.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:26 PM

652 posts, read 681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Without a serial number or a distinctive owner-applied mark, you are never going to see them again.

You say you were a "kid." Is that literally or figuratively? Where they actually your guns, or a family member's guns?
yes, I was actually a kid. The .22 belong to me and the .30-30 belong to my older brother David

Old 02-08-2022, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 3,015 times
I'm alright about that. Even more, that should definitely be that way everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting