Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:06 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times

Advertisements

It's the same pellet size, velocity- just smaller payload. I'm not sure why you can't take a turkey or goose with a 20 but you can with a 12.

Just know your pattern and choke. I've taken geese with a 20 using #2. On days where wind is light and the geese are decoying well a lot of us just use 20's.

Last edited by Threerun; 05-19-2022 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 02:56 PM

1,952 posts, read 828,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
It's the same pellet size, velocity- just smaller payload. I'm not sure why you can't take a turkey or goose with a 20 but you can with a 12.

Just know your pattern and choke. I've taken geese with a 20 using #2. On days where wind is light and the geese are decoying well a lot of us just use 20's.

Yes...you have to get in close for geese. I'd rather have the 12 because many times, where we hunt them, we may or may not get them that close.

Ditto for turkey. Often, in our thick brush, you need more payload to punch through the brush and drop them in their tracks.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:26 PM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
The 20 gauge is good for smaller birds like dove and quail and maybe ducks over decoys.
Post 2 proves you wrong.

Quote:
I also find my 20 gauge stuffed with #4s very good on snakes and small pests.
#4 shot for snakes and small pests?

Quote:
But for going after turkey or geese...give me the 12 gauge all day long.
Turkey, maybe but again see post 2 that again proves you wrong.

Quote:
Home defense? I have a 12 gauge Remington 870 Police Magnum loaded with 00 buck for that....along with a Glock 19 9mm.
If that's what you would like.

Next thing I'd like to ask, is everything you posted true or just a joke?

Old 05-19-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Yes...you have to get in close for geese. I'd rather have the 12 because many times, where we hunt them, we may or may not get them that close.

Ditto for turkey. Often, in our thick brush, you need more payload to punch through the brush and drop them in their tracks.
Okay… maybe this is getting lost. If you have a 20 that patterns they way you want, a 12 in the same shot size size and velocity as the 20 doesn’t extend your range.

And if you’re praying more pellets ‘through brush’ is the answer? I have no additional comments for you.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:44 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
I hunt with a 20 side by side SKB. It takes 3 inch mags, THAT matches a normal load in a 12.

I had the gun bored out to IC and MOD. For pheasants in early season I shoot seven's in the IC and 3inch mags with fours in the MOD barrel, usually buffered, copper clad shot.

Used it on ducks and geese through those years as well. Works fine, only issue is the light weight and short barrel makes it important to focus on swinging through the shot.

I did recently buy a CZ 12 Ultralight. Great gun, my only concern is the safety does NOT reset after I break the gun like the SKB. I really like that feature in the SKB.

I wish CZ would offer that feature in their guns.

The lightweight of the SKB is a great feature. I normally walk a minimum of five miles and usually 10 hunting birds. By the end of the day, the difference in weight is significant. It is also the reason I bought the CZ in a 12.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Post 2 proves you wrong.

Turkey, maybe but again see post 2 that again proves you wrong.

If that's what you would like.

Next thing I'd like to ask, is everything you posted true or just a joke?
“Capable” “adequate” and “ideal” are cousins, not siblings. A .243 is capable of killing elk. A .270 is adequate. If you had one shot at the bull elk of a lifetime, no consideration for recoil or finances, you’d probably opt for a .338 or .340 weatherby, all other things being equal.

The problem isn’t energy per pellet, it becomes number of pellets. When you move to larger size pellets, you have fewer of them. That’s why steel duck and goose loads are offered in 3 and 3 1/2 inch loadings that increase the payload. It becomes a question of how dense the patterns are and at what range.

Every serious goose hunter I know, meaning guys that have enclosed trailers full of goose decoys, uses a 12 gauge with some aftermarket choke for better patterns.

Old 05-19-2022, 06:53 PM

Every serious goose hunter I know and hunt with knows their gun, pattern and shot. That’s with trailer loads of decoys too.

It’s the conditions, wind and set up that dictates what we shoot with that day.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
I hunt with a 20 side by side SKB. It takes 3 inch mags, THAT matches a normal load in a 12.

I had the gun bored out to IC and MOD. For pheasants in early season I shoot seven's in the IC and 3inch mags with fours in the MOD barrel, usually buffered, copper clad shot.

Used it on ducks and geese through those years as well. Works fine, only issue is the light weight and short barrel makes it important to focus on swinging through the shot.

I did recently buy a CZ 12 Ultralight. Great gun, my only concern is the safety does NOT reset after I break the gun like the SKB. I really like that feature in the SKB.

I wish CZ would offer that feature in their guns.

The lightweight of the SKB is a great feature. I normally walk a minimum of five miles and usually 10 hunting birds. By the end of the day, the difference in weight is significant. It is also the reason I bought the CZ in a 12.
Interesting, neither my nor my wife's SKB o/u's reset the safety. I don't see a huge deal with it since the break open action inherently provides a secondary level of safety.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:27 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Interesting, neither my nor my wife's SKB o/u's reset the safety. I don't see a huge deal with it since the break open action inherently provides a secondary level of safety.
Some competition O/Us don't reset the safety when you break them open.

Back to 20 gauges. I've killed all manner of waterfowl and game, to include deer, with a 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge and .410.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:10 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some competition O/Us don't reset the safety when you break them open.

Back to 20 gauges. I've killed all manner of waterfowl and game, to include deer, with a 12 gauge, 16 gauge, 20 gauge and .410.
Tell me about deer kills with a .410, I would think that's difficult at best. Although I guess a .410 with slugs is easier than a traditional recurve bow.

I personally don't care for an automatic safety 'on' when I break the gun open, and usually if one is so equipped it's easy to remove the link that does that.

No safety catch should be relied on anyway. Observe Uncle Jeff's Four Rules and you won't have any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting