Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 09:48 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Actually if you learn to trap the trigger on a Glock you basically have a hairpin trigger pull. I get very nice accuracy out of mine.
More reason that a newbie should have a gun with a safety.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:05 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Don't disagree at all. I'm not advocating for any particular firearm, simply responding to the 'harsh trigger' of a Glock..

My son has a S&W EZ .380 and loves it. Two safeties- manual thumb and beavertail. It shoots really well. In fact in some ways I like it better than my Glock.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:41 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I am planning to purchase a small handgun for personal protection.
What is a good one to start with, take some instructional lessons and start learning how to fire a gun at a supervised gun range.

TIA
personal protection means you are contemplating killing a prospective perp/human being.

Your biggest hurdle is not which gun, you need to be mentally prepared to shoot a human being and live with the legal and personal consequences.

Under what very specific conditions will you pull the trigger?

Attitude, attitude, attitude! along with bullet construction!

Will you face down an armed drug crazed perp at close range?

Do you need a 45 auto or a 22lr like the Navy seals might use?

Brandishing a firearm under certain conditions may result in a felony charge.

Handle an empty firearm continuously while watching a football game, to be familiar with how it works w/o thinking about it.

Shoot regularly, learn anatomy.

A firearm is never unloaded even after you unload and clear it.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:47 PM

623 posts, read 311,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
A newbie should have a revolver. And he or she still needs to learn how and when to use it.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:45 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
A newbie should have a revolver. And he or she still needs to learn how and when to use it.
Some would say a 'newbie' shouldn't have a semi-auto rifle as a beginner. However I had plenty of friends in Basic that had never fired or even held a firearm before. They were trained.

Same thing should apply to a new civilian gun owner regardless of firearm 'type'. In fact in some ways it's advantageous for a newbie to learn on whatever they choose, including semi-auto's. No bad habits to try and overcome.

Last edited by volosong; 02-01-2023 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-01-2023, 03:42 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,763,619 times
[mod note] OP's question answered, good advice given, and he now has a direction in which to proceed. Thread now closed. [/mod note]

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting