Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:14 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times

Advertisements

I carry a G19 in a MTAC holster. It's so far my favorite.

I've also tried my G27 and Kimber Ultra CDP II in CTAC holsters, but feel the G19 is the most comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM

160 posts, read 638,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There's something particularly comforting about the reliability of a revolver. They never jam, have very few moving parts and just "work". For a carry weapon, they're an excellent choice. That said, I carry a little Kel-Tec .32 and a compact .40 Glock. I like both of them very much, but my next gun is definitely going to be a revolver.
Revolvers have more moving parts than automatics. They can and do malfunction, and when they do, it is more drastic than an automatic. Ever have a bullet come unseated out of the case mouth and slip forward of the cylinder? It will lock the revolver up solid.

Typically a revolver is more reliable than an automatic, though.

I carry both automatic and revolvers, and own more revolvers than autos. I prefer revolvers to automatics. But to say they are faultless is folly.

For carry use, always choose a firearm you are completely familar with, with a loading you can accurately shoot and follow up with. A single, well placed .22 Short is more effective than a magazine full of missed .45's.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Typically a revolver is more reliable than an automatic, though.
Modern semi-autos are as reliable as revolvers. That's why you see the police and military exclusively using semi-autos. Nothing wrong with a revolver though.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 PM

23,848 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
Revolvers have more moving parts than automatics.
Really? I've owned several autos and no revolvers, so I've never disassembled one. It's always been my understanding that they had less, though. Interesting.

Quote:
They can and do malfunction ... to say they are faultless is folly.
Of course - I wasn't trying to imply that they're perfect, just that they're more reliable. The most common malfunction I see with autos is jams that happen during the ejection of the spent casing or the feeding of a fresh round. Revolvers are immune to both of these conditions (although if the cylinder failed to turn I suppose that might count as the latter).

Quote:
For carry use, always choose a firearm you are completely familar with, with a loading you can accurately shoot and follow up with. A single, well placed .22 Short is more effective than a magazine full of missed .45's.
Yep.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:40 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Modern semi-autos are as reliable as revolvers. That's why you see the police and military exclusively using semi-autos. Nothing wrong with a revolver though.
No capacity and ease of reloading is why the police and military use semi-autos. I prefer and only carry revolvers (except for the occasional derringer...). None of my modern revolvers has ever jammed up on me. I can't say the same about semi-autos.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingHome2TX View Post
Revolvers have more moving parts than automatics. They can and do malfunction, and when they do, it is more drastic than an automatic. Ever have a bullet come unseated out of the case mouth and slip forward of the cylinder? It will lock the revolver up solid.
I never had that problem with my 2 revolvers. I do load my own ammo for all of my guns, including the .357 and .44 magnum, and the two semi-autos I have, 9mm, and .45 ACP. I also crimp the bullets slightly.

On the OP's question, if you're going to carry concealed, I'd get any semi-automatic, except one in the .25 ACP. I've never been a big fan of that caliber, and you'd be much better off with a .22 LR semi-auto.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:04 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No capacity and ease of reloading is why the police and military use semi-autos. I prefer and only carry revolvers (except for the occasional derringer...). None of my modern revolvers has ever jammed up on me. I can't say the same about semi-autos.
True, but the police and military would never choose something unreliable. I had revolvers go out of time on me, and also break springs. Rare, but it happens. All my semi's are 100% reliable or they get sold.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:32 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Theres pro's & cons to both. Personally I'd probably choose the small auto. Actually that is what I carry every day, a small .380. In reality a 380 dont give up much to a 38.

As far as moving parts, a revolver is a simpler concept but it has a more complex mechanism. Theres alot going on to get things timed & lined up right. All an auto needs to do is slide back & forth really, some have complex locking mechanism's but the basic action is reletively simple. They can be picky about bullet shape but thats easilly overcome by simply seeing what shoots well.

I chose a single action semi auto for 99% of my conceled carry.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 AM

16 posts, read 60,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
OK so Y'all helped me out last time when you gave your opinion about a revolver with or without a hammer and now I have another question......

I was shown a PPK today vs. a J frame revolver. This would be a concealed carry and I have been told a couple pros and cons for both and would like to hear other opinions.

PPK - a heavier gun so the recoil isn't so strong, very slim and easy to conceal, but obviously the bullet isn't a powerful as a 38.
S&W - revolver is bigger to carry but simple to use.

There are things I like about both but have to choose just one for now.

So if these two were your choices which would you pick?

Thanks
Who's trying to sell you on a PPK? That's a classic gun but it seems like kind of an odd choice for a modern carry piece. I have a PP (same thing only slightly longer barrel and grip) and to tell you the truth I don't like it much. The double action trigger is absolutely terrible and the slide bites my hand sometimes, I also find the mag release awkward. Another thing to consider is that the PPK is a very heavy gun relative to it's size and the power of it's cartridge which isn't good for carry (not that I'd really know since the Canadian government doesn't allow me to do such dangerous things.) I think you'd be better off with a modern polymer framed 9mm like others in this thread have mentioned, they're lighter, more ergonomic, and much more powerful. The PPK still has it's place but I think it's more of a fun gun or conversation piece in this day an age, there are much better choices for a "go to" gun.

You might want to check out the Wather PPS which is kind of the modern interpretation, it's a single stack 9mm which is very slim and compact. If you have small hands it might be a better choice for you than the double stack guns like the Glock and it'll be much easier to conceal. I haven't had the chance to shoot one but they seem to get good reviews.

Last edited by emgr3; 09-03-2008 at 03:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 AM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
True, but the police and military would never choose something unreliable. I had revolvers go out of time on me, and also break springs. Rare, but it happens. All my semi's are 100% reliable or they get sold.
If we lived in a perfect world, free of greed and corruption, that statement might be true.

In fact the military and to probably a lesser extent various police agencies purchase firearms for a variety of reasons. The primary reason may be stopping power, it may be firepower, it may be reliability, it may be the brother-in-law.

BTW, if you had three or five rounds rather than a 15-round magazine, do you think aim would improve, vs. the spray-and-pray that we often see?

The continued use of the problem-plagued M16 family is probably more related to the number of retired generals who work in the firearms industry than to any overwhelming endorsement of that family by end users.

If the US military were truly interested in reliability and stopping power, our guys and gals would have the option of carrying AK-47s, .357s and .45s.
Despite the attritutes of the AK, the powers that be would never admit M16 shortcomings, and put soldiers' lives ahead of pride and fat contracts.

OTOH, we did dump the .45 for the Beretta. I would surmise some kickbacks and heavy politics were involved in that decision.
Oh, and the fact that we thought it more important to all just get along with NATO rather than keep the better weapon.

Fat contracts for equipping the Iraquis and Afghanis with M16s and derivatives is more about people getting rich than obtaining the best battlefield weapon.

The arms industry has always been loaded with profiteers, it always will be.

Even in WWII, when we were fighting for our survival vs. a modern war of choice (where winning is often only one of several options), there were conscience-free profiteers who sent many a brave warrior to his death rather than fix a problem or admit fault.

Pride goeth before the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting