Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times

Advertisements

OK so Y'all helped me out last time when you gave your opinion about a revolver with or without a hammer and now I have another question......

I was shown a PPK today vs. a J frame revolver. This would be a concealed carry and I have been told a couple pros and cons for both and would like to hear other opinions.

PPK - a heavier gun so the recoil isn't so strong, very slim and easy to conceal, but obviously the bullet isn't a powerful as a 38.
S&W - revolver is bigger to carry but simple to use.

There are things I like about both but have to choose just one for now.

So if these two were your choices which would you pick?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
For concealed carry, (I don't know anything about those guns in particular, mind you), IF we had the option here in NJ, I'd think of two things:

1. What is most comfortable to carry (because if it's uncomfortable to carry, you won't carry it and it's of little use to you)

and

2. Which is simplest to use (you'll be using it in an emergency and you don't need to be fumbling with switches and gadgets)

As for comfort in shooting (recoil) I look at it this way. If the recoil bothers you, you can always go out there and bite the bullet (ha!) and learn to shoot the gun competently.

You don't have to shoot it for fun (it's not, in this case) but of course need to practice enough to be competent.

In a life-threatening emergency, and you're about to shoot someone to defend yourself, I have heard from several people, you will NOT notice the recoil. You also will be close enough to that person to be pretty confident you'll hit center mass (if not that close, he's probably not threatening your life and--at least here in NJ-- we can't shoot anyway...)

I'd say a gun I would actually be comfortable wearing is my biggest criteria. Good luck!

(of course this all assumes that the gun you choose will be a reliable one lol!)

Old 08-04-2008, 01:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,877 times
I carry the walther ppk/s and it is by far the easiest to carry concealed I have ever owned. It .380 cal extremely accurate

Old 08-04-2008, 02:07 PM

658 posts, read 831,083 times
I am a CCW permit holder and user, and would not choose a heavier weapon than necessary to carry all the time.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
personally I'd pick a compact Glock.

but for your list I'd go with the revolver.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times
I have an XD 3" subcompact however for your list PPK. Bond. James Bond.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Dude, we do too (hubby's carry pistol).

I almost wrote about it but the OP was asking about the other two. This gun is more accurate than my Glock 17, plus it has a grip safety in addition to the same 3 safeties that the Glock has.

I absolutely love it and can't wait to get one of my own.

And we paid almost $600 for ours; they're down to the low-mid $400's (including FFL and shipping!) on gunbroker.

Outstanding pistol.

My only issue is I hope I can find a holster I'm happy with carrying it; I also find it's a little heavier than I had hoped but will just keep it chambered with fewer rounds to cut back the weight...

Old 08-04-2008, 06:53 PM

Hey thanks for the responses you've all made some good points.

I agree with bbkaren in that you have to be comfortable with what you carry, but I'm sure I could adjust to any because this is my first gun.

I guess another question would be, for a concealed weapon is a revolver or semi-auto better? or is it just personal preference?

Old 08-04-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
I am a CCW permit holder and user, and would not choose a heavier weapon than necessary to carry all the time.
So do you consider the weight to be more important than the caliber of the bullet?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
What caliber do you carry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting