Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times

Advertisements

Answer to follow-LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
I would guess Alaska or Montana. Just a guess though since I don't hunt.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I would guess Alaska or Montana. Just a guess though since I don't hunt.

No-neither of these.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,234 times
Would it be Minnesota? Small world - I heard this just last night from a hunting friend.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Lady View Post
Would it be Minnesota? Small world - I heard this just last night from a hunting friend.
No, this state has 10 times he open state land that MN has.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,161 times
Wyoming is set up like a checker board. Every other "checker" is owned by the Bureau of Land Management. With a population the size of Long Beach, California--that leaves quite a bit of state owned land.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:26 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
This is sort of a "trick" question, because it asks what STATE has the most STATE-OWNED (not federal owned) land open to hunting.

The western US has HUGE parcels of FEDERAL land open to hunting, but those federal lands don't fit this question. My guess, and I have not googled the answer, is New York state. A big chunk of upstate NY is the Adirondacks, which is STATE owned land. It is the largest STATE park in the USA, and I have been to the area many times. They allow hunting.

My second choice is Maine. Northern Maine also has large state park and state forest lands open to hunting.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 PM

131 posts, read 439,534 times
Default You got it right!

As a native New Yorker this was always my best "trick question".

The Adirondack Park

The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New York amid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largest publicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined. The boundary of the Park encompasses approximately 6 million acres, nearly half of which belongs to all the people of New York State and is constitutionally protected to remain “forever wild” forest preserve. The remaining half of the Park is private land which includes settlements, farms, timber lands, businesses, homes, and camps.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:37 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Judging from the number of out-of-state license plates rolling up I-75 every fall , I would guess Michigan.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaShadow View Post
As a native New Yorker this was always my best "trick question".

The Adirondack Park

The Adirondack Park was created in 1892 by the State of New York amid concerns for the water and timber resources of the region. Today the Park is the largest publicly protected area in the contiguous United States, greater in size than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined. The boundary of the Park encompasses approximately 6 million acres, nearly half of which belongs to all the people of New York State and is constitutionally protected to remain “forever wild” forest preserve. The remaining half of the Park is private land which includes settlements, farms, timber lands, businesses, homes, and camps.

Correct ! there is also over a million + acres open in the Catskills and other areas of the State. You are also free to camp anywhere you please for
up to 3 days without any fees or permits.

However on further review it is POSSIBLE that MN is the answer but
there is no available figure on just how much of their 7 million state acres
are available to all while in NY its a state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting