Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:53 AM

18,146 posts, read 15,562,989 times

Advertisements

I must admit that I seriously lament the loss of availibility of the Norinco 1911 on the American market. My pistol of this make is hands down the best handgun that I own. I did some pretty extensive customization on it over about a year or so after I bought the base gun and I'll stack it up against any Colt or Springfield any time. The thing won me quite a few competitions and will drive my pet handload of 5.5 grains of 231 behind a 200 gr semi wadcutter into 50 cent sized groups offhand at 25 yards all day long. My current project is based on an Auto Ordnance frame and slide with other integral parts ranging from Ed Brown and Wilson to Colt and Springfield. Just like my Norinco. Any one have a similar project going on another "budget" frame slide combo or has anyone had a positive experience along the same lines as I with the Norinco? Favorite aftermarket parts sources, set up and tuning methods etc? I love to tinker and tune so the 1911 goes like hot wings and cold beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 03:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,342,613 times
I was gonna do a frame-up build, but I found a near complete Springfield Mil-Spec for $275 delivered, missing only the barrel. So I snatched it up. Then I rounded up the other parts I wanted to go on, mailed them all off to Robar for refinishing and now I had a very nice 1911 with not too much into it.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:54 PM

18,146 posts, read 15,562,989 times
Thats a swingin' deal for a Springfield base. I paid 275 for my Norinco new in the box( 16 years ago lol) and over the course of customizing it I've probably got a good 1700 or so into various parts and work. I did most of it my self though I did have a gunsmith install the Bo Mar sights as I don't have that type of machining tools. The barrel is an Ed Brown Super Match with matching Match bushing and full length guide rod. I used the stocker for a while and it served me well but the link broke on me. It was a blessing in disguise. The new barrel set up improved accuracy almost unbelievably. The stock Norinco internals are SOFT. My sear ,disconnect is Colt now and my hammer, hammer strut and leaf spring are Wilson. As is the trigger and bow. I went with a Pachmyer flat mainspring and housing as I prefer the flat over the A1 arch type. The Colt sear is one of the coated type which was tagged as needing no mod for a good break so I didn't polish it or anything. It started out around a five pound release and over the years has shot in to around four.(4.2 on my trigger scale). I went with the Ed Brown Beavertail for the grip safety and have no regrets there. The thing is a dream to shoot. Oh and I left the barrel a half inch longer than stock when I cut it so it sticks out past the bushing. It looks cool and I figgered the extra length couldn't hurt. The crown would be better protected if I had cut it flush but I wanted to be different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting