Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times

Advertisements

Most women could handle a .410..and at close range it will stop, deter, etc. anyone...esp. at night who can tell the difference when you chamber a round.

A pistol at night must be aimed well and you have to really identify your target.. Also laser sights are very useful in dark situations.

Just a sugg.

HW happy trails, be safe folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 AM

616 posts, read 1,161,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Most women could handle a .410..and at close range it will stop, deter, etc. anyone...esp. at night who can tell the difference when you chamber a round.

A pistol at night must be aimed well and you have to really identify your target.. Also laser sights are very useful in dark situations.

Just a sugg.

HW happy trails, be safe folks.

Well, maybe load the .38 with snake/bird shot Great idea for night or poor eyesight-lol. Or perhaps go with a Taurus Judge OO buck in 3 inch 410 shells (5 shots=25 32 caliber holes in an intruder).

Or perhaps teach the wife to shoot a .357 Magnum. Just the mere presence of a homeowner with one, or a .44 would make any intruder think twice

There's a new gun out that looks promising:
YouTube - -Ruger's New .22 Charger Semi-Auto Pistol

Old 01-10-2009, 07:03 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
12 gauge. Research the different kind of shells and how best suited for your needs then buy them.
Stick with a pump shot gun. Anything automatic no matter what caliber/brand. Is more apt to jam. They just have more parts and more to keep clean. If your not up to doing this?........

Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 AM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Home Protection Firearms? I'd consider this a psychosis. Or at very least an antisocial nutter-craft.

Dude- I'm sorry that you've borne the brunt of my irritation in this field but you happen to have been in this particular place at this particular time. Sorry mate.

However.

Ditch the effing gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pleeeeeease. I know you don't need it.

Hugs R xx
That's because you guys prefer blades. To each their own.

By the way, gun crime is up in the UK.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rksinco View Post
I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to guns. I shot quite a bit as a kid....mostly shotguns. I live in Colorado now and would like to make a purchase for home protection. I'm leaning toward a shotgun, versus handgun/revolver.
I'd also like the added protection when I'm camping in the mountains, be it other humans or animals.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. It sounds like 12-guage is pretty standard. Is 16 or 20 too light?
For what it's worth, I have a 4-year old son who I'd like to teach about guns and responsibility as he grows, and a wife who is intimidated by them, so this will probably me for my use only.
Thanks.
I like the Desert Eagle 357 Magnum or 44 Magnum; which are very comfortable and easy to shoot.

I also like the Colt Python or Anaconda.

However, I only have a Taurus 357 Snubnose Revolver and a ParaOrdnance P14 0.45 caliber pistol.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I vote for the Judge in 3" 410 shotgun caliber loaded with birdshot then slugs.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
I rather like my S&W 629 .44 and Hi-Standard 3" mag Police Riot Shotgun for guarding the domicile! 'Course, got lots of other bang sticks as well

Old 01-26-2009, 03:17 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Home Protection Firearms? I'd consider this a psychosis. Or at very least an antisocial nutter-craft.

Dude- I'm sorry that you've borne the brunt of my irritation in this field but you happen to have been in this particular place at this particular time. Sorry mate.

However.

Ditch the effing gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pleeeeeease. I know you don't need it.

Hugs R xx
Wow...I wonder how somone can judge someone elses "need" by an internet posting? Some folks may be better off without a gun, yet others may desperatly need it. It's a matter of choice at any rate and not open to judgementalism by anyone not "in the know" about the particular situation. That said I rely on my 1911A1 as a primary defensive pistol. I use it regularly in competition and am comfortable with it as a "proven" weapon. For my wife, a .38 double action snubby. No controls to fumble, little training and practice required for proficiency. What one chooses one should just be comfortable with and know that it works and will keep working.

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-26-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-26-2009, 05:19 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
It is really hard to beat a good dog. Thiefs hate them.
Our dog patrols the house every hour at night. He does not sleep thru anything.

I keep a Glock 32 at hand as well. If you are not 100% sure of your weapon, a short barrel shotgun with a pistol grip would be safer.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Asking which firearm to use for home protection is like asking what is the best place to take a vacation. ANY firearm could kill someone, if that is what you are intending to do. If you wanted to get your child invloved with firearms, start out with a .22 (that's obvious), plus a .22 comes in handy for moles and other small game. For protection, I would go with a simple 9mm. They are extremely popular (that's obvious). Just remember, you get what you pay for when it comes to firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting