Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Just got my self a crimson trace laser for the XD40. WOW !!! I would recommend it to anyone!. easily installs around the grip. clears the paddle holster nicely and the pressure switch turns it on instantly when the weapon is drawn.Very bright light pencil thin even during the day. kinda pricey at 269.99 but worth it in my opinion...............
Lasers are certainly cool and they can be a confidence builder for those with little experience in pistolcraft. The only laser sighted pistol I have is my Walther P22. I like to use it for vermin control around the barn after dark. Just remember that if you are using any night vision technology that a laser can put you out of the fight if an inadvertant flash to your eyes happens. O my that can hurt! My son just bought an XD .45. It's a nice pistol. I like to give him grief about owning "Tupperware". . Old school ribbing on modern technology. I have favored ye ol' 1911A1 since my early days. To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:43 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,557 times
For home protection, the 12 gauge pump shotgun. Rem 870 or Moss 500.
Get some practice with it so that using it is second nature. Try to get one with the two barrel set. One for security/defense use ie a slug/buckshot barrel, and one for upland game/skeet/trap. Go and shoot some skeet. It's a great deal of fun and will definitely improve your hand-eye coordination. For the slug barrel, get the extended tube magazine.
Handguns for defense are good too. If your inexperienced, I'd stay away from auto loaders, your 1911's/clones etc, at least until you get very comfortable with hand guns. Try a very durable double action revolver. I have a hammer-less snubby for home defense in addition to the pump shotgun. The double action revolver removes the step of loading a magazine and charging the weapon by racking the slide, also auto loaders can be forced out of "battery" in a struggle and rendered momentarily useless much easier than a revolver. You can keep the revolver in a quick open "key" box, with the hammer down on an empty cylinder. Punch the code in the key pad, pull out the revolver and your ready for action.
Be sure to study the legal aspects and possible ramifications of your home defense plan. (definitely have a plan...and go over it with your loved ones...)
Be aware of how your local state and municipal authorities, the media and all the rest will treat you if you get involved in a home defense shooting incident. Definitely do NOT assume that they will be supportive, and be prepared to have them vilify and blame YOU for the event, even if the bad guy broke into your home to do harm to you or your family. There are LOTS of really crazy people out there that would just love to judge you harshly for you having the nerve to defend yourself and your family....Never discount the option of escape in strength....(a show of force and a hasty exit, letting law enforcement finish the job)

And as for your family, particularly if they are new to the art and sport of shooting, the only way to introduce them properly is with the .22 long rifle. This will allow them to get comfortable with and learn the proper handling of firearms, with out the huge recoil, the huge report and the flinch and fear factor that come from beginners going right to the big calibers. A wide variety of 22's are also readily available as is the ammunition so they are fairly inexpensive. The Ruger 10/22 is perhaps one of the most popular rim-fires of all time, and there are a plethora of after market parts/upgrades for them.

At any rate have fun and be safe!

Last edited by Happy Cells; 12-13-2008 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 04:55 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lasers are certainly cool and they can be a confidence builder for those with little experience in pistolcraft. The only laser sighted pistol I have is my Walther P22. I like to use it for vermin control around the barn after dark. Just remember that if you are using any night vision technology that a laser can put you out of the fight if an inadvertant flash to your eyes happens. O my that can hurt! My son just bought an XD .45. It's a nice pistol. I like to give him grief about owning "Tupperware". . Old school ribbing on modern technology. I have favored ye ol' 1911A1 since my early days. To each their own.

My other carry piece is old iron...a 43 dated Walther P-38........

Old 12-13-2008, 06:33 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Be aware of how your local state and municipal authorities, the media and all the rest will treat you if you get involved in a home defense shooting incident. Definitely do NOT assume that they will be supportive, and be prepared to have them vilify and blame YOU for the event, even if the bad guy broke into your home to do harm to you or your family. There are LOTS of really crazy people out there that would just love to judge you harshly for you having the nerve to defend yourself and your family....Never discount the option of escape in strength....(a show of force and a hasty exit, letting law enforcement finish the job)
Happy Cells makes a good point. You should most certainly be aware of your state's "Castle Doctrine" which defines your personal requirements for using deadly/lethal force in a residential self-defense situation. For example, in some states, you must retreat until you can retreat no more before defending yourself with deadly force. In other states, you can basically shoot someone who is in your home and you have broad leeway in how you describe it.

Here in Idaho, you cannot use deadly force in defense of property (no executing car thieves) but when it comes to defending yourself or another, the law gives you very strong protection from civil suit, and the cops aren't about to arrest you if you can even halfway articulate your actions as being self defense. If you live in a "blue state" (not just one that went blue in the 2008 election by a couple percent...I mean a really blue state) chances are your state legislature has done little to protect your rights of self defense and even if the police back you up, you should probably expect to spend six figures fighting a wrongful death civil suit. Sad but true...

Old 12-14-2008, 11:41 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,002,068 times
Thumbs up Right on...+

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
12 guage with #1 buck shot. You get a few more pellets than 00 yet each is about .30 cal.

The Mossberg 500 is reasonably priced, sized, good capacity and very effective.
You can get extra barrels for it.

for a youngster..I would first start out with a basic non-firing gun to learn the parts..then maybe the trusty B-B gun about 20.00 at Wallys world.

then a single shot .22...then the ole .410 single shot H and R type...
then work up...When old enough...MUST GO THRU A SAFETY COURSE BY NRA...AND ALSO ENROLL HIM/HER IN A LIFE MEMBER NRA...

WE need the support from and for young people..

It worked for me...plus military training....

Happy trails,

be safe...sure...and shoot straight.

Hunter Wold...aka Fence Lake Ranger SASS

Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
Where I work did gun sales/repair until the owner with the FFL retired a few years back. We decided not to apply in the Son's name because we honestly didn't want the hassle anymore. I have approx 10 years exp in the handling and repairing of both handguns and long guns.

You should think what you need the firearm for. For reasons expressed by previous posters, there is no one size fits all. You need to find what is comfortable for you.

I have a Beretta 21a in a .22. This is my carry pistol. It is easy to shoot, fits my hand, and I like the fact I can pop the barrel and it is nonfireable. It is also lightweight... I am not going to carry a gun I have to lug around.... if I leave it in the car because it was too heavy, then it isn't going to do me a lick of good.

In my home, we have an open layout... no hallways/stairwells. I love the Mossberg 500a with the pistol grip. If someone is in my home without permission, I can bet you they know what the sound of a shell being chaimbered is.... This gun gives a distinctive click that speaks lounder than any scream. (in my state, once a person is in your home they are a "guest" unless you are in direct danger, but you can shoot them through the door.... go figure)

My son's first guns were a Marlin leveraction .22 and a Remington 870 youth 20 guage. He was 9. The remington because it was simple to use and a great balanced firearm and the marlin because I got his father the Guide Gun (45/70) that year and this resembled the gun his father has.

What i am trying to point out is find out what works for you. And whatever you choose, as previous posters have stated... be aware of your laws, how far you are willing to go in leathal force, think ahead about backstops (getting the thuggo will not bring back anybody taken out in the next room if a round goes through the wall), practice (this should also factor into your decsion.... if you cannot afford ammo, which has gotten rediculous in price, you won't practice), and do not fall into the thinking that one gun would fit the bill for everything.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:51 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Nothing will stop intruder cold in thier tracks like the cycling of a pump shotgun....or just get a yapping little dog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
My other carry piece is old iron...a 43 dated Walther P-38........
Nothing wrong with a P-38. I have a P-1, which is basically an aluminum framed P-38. It is a German police surplus pistol.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:47 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
I live in a rural area, and my cones of fire in the house have no wall penetration concerns, so just about anything in my rack that isn't scoped would suffice in dealing with a home intruder. I tend to favor my handguns ( a .38 snub or my 1911) because of ease of handling and accesibility, folowed closely by my Mossberg 12 ga with Federal Premium 3 inch mag # 4's. Thankfully the laws here favor the victim in a defensive shooting, and have for some time. Nevertheless it pays to keep the rules of lethal force in the front of ones mind and to realize that if you point your weapon at an attacker the time for niceties is over and someones getting hurt or killed. "Warning shots" , verbal challenges, brandishing in an attempt to disuade hostilities,etc, are bad ideas and can put your adversary back on top in a hurry. Having a firearm for defense means that you have made the commitment to do what must be done and the responsibility is yours to ensure you are ready to do so. Handling a firearm under severe stress ain't so easy as in the movies. Get into some competition, or at the very least take a class in lethal force where they put you in a high pressure situation, so you KNOW what it feels like and how you will react. I can't say it enough, condition, train, don't assume anything! Nothing about self defense with a firearm is easy.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:06 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,972 times
If someone broke into my house I'd grab my ithaca 20 ga. pump.
I'm sure a 3" mag goose load or slug would stop anyone at close range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting