Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

Neva' did find one O' them SNS's fer sale in a gun store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Yah dohhnnn even have'tah saw off the barrel! Jus' use yur kitchen knife to push through that cheesy cast zinc barrel (brass lined, a'course!).

Seriously, as a gunsmith, I'd caution against it. These are hardly worth the cost. It's about $1 to $2.00 /minute, or better, these days in a machine shop. Now I could clamp it in a soft-jawed vice, hack-saw it off, file the muzzle sorta-kinda flat, then use my powered muzzle-facing tools to smarten it up, and then brass-lap the micro-edge of the bore. Then, if it's blued, I'd have to clean the new muzzle and apply some cold blue (which is OK if you do it right), and then, voila! Instant cheepo snubbie. (PS: do NOT remove the serial number!)

That would all take me about 1.4 hours or so; or ≈ $90 - $100 cost to you. Which you could have put towards a good used Taurus or Charter Arms revolver in the ubiquitous .38 special. Because the SNS innards are notoriously chincy, and prone to spring breakage or latch failures or poor cylinder lockup and, mostly, "schnocky" accuracy.

Why bother? Esp. if you're thinking of relying on it to defend your life or that of your family. Why? They not worth that much?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
Oh, I see Raven, Jennings, Sterling, written all over this.. A sort of paper weight that looks like a gun, and can sometimes be dangerous.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Actually, it's a ROHM arms from Germany. Serial number is on the bottom of the grip frame, and I was thinking of chopping it because it would fit better on top of the clock by the front door. As it is now, the handle hangs over the edge now lol. I'm thinking about removing the barrel, and placing it in a metal chop saw vice and cutting it, then de-burring the inside edge and with some aircraft stripper and flat black hi-temp paint, coating it. It stays loaded with CCI blazer shotshell ammo, not the most lethal or potent, but to the face of a baddy, or to control a snake in the yard, it's perfection

Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,566 times
Raven, Jennings, Sterling, etc arms are just a few of many weapon that use pot metal or such..... They are, in my opinion, inexpensive firearms and dangerous. Most of the serious complaints from the owners of those firearms are that they often jam.

If one is hunting for mosquitoes or just using a weapon for target practice, no one likes a weapon that has a history of jamming or lasting just a few hundred rounds.....

Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
Raven, Jennings, Sterling, etc arms are just a few of many weapon that use pot metal or such..... They are, in my opinion, inexpensive firearms and dangerous. Most of the serious complaints from the owners of those firearms are that they often jam.

If one is hunting for mosquitoes or just using a weapon for target practice, no one likes a weapon that has a history of jamming or lasting just a few hundred rounds.....
I watched a Jennings slide beat the bullet to the target one fine day. Seriously, my buddy let er' rip and the slide flew right off. It was a .22, if you want to give it the honor of being called a firearm, which I hesitate to do. Whatever firearm one chooses to buy, spending the extra on a name brand (SW, Walther, Ruger, Colt etc) is well worth it. Interstingly enough, my top shooter is a Norinco 1911 A1. The frame and slide are all that remains of the original pistol, however, it has served me well for , hmm, 18 years now. In competition, carry, general field use, da whole tamale. Shame they are no longer availabe. Great builders.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:06 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Default For Women

As a woman whose husband was in the military, I like revolvers because they almost never jam, and you are less likely to have an accident due to the forgotten bullet in the chamber after you have ejected the clip of a semiautomatic pistol. A woman's hand is generally smaller than a man's, so for your wife you might want to consider one designed for women, like the "Lady Smith & Wesson." It's a 38 special and packs a big enough punch to knock down a very large home invader. The smaller the gun, the bigger the kick-back, so don't get too small a gun. It needs to be fully controllable by the handler, who should take an NRA gun safety course.

Make sure your wife goes to the firing range and becomes completely comfortable with her handgun. Keep it in one of the small handgun safes that can be unlocked in the dark by pressing finger keys in a certain sequence (and also with a key, for when the batteries die). Don't delay; ammunition (and reloading materials) are already almost impossible to buy.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
That is good advice, NHartphotog, with the one exception that I would probably go for a 4" barreled standard-weight S&W. I bought a nickel-finish Model 15 in that length for my wife, and she loved it. Now she's my ex, but I still have the gun! It has a small grip, is quite accurate, has adjustable sights and doesn't recoil very much.

I got a new Cheaper than Dirt catalog today, and ammo is quite a bit more reasonably priced now. I'll be shooting more!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:35 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,858,428 times
Cat, but they don't have any in stock.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Looked up the ROHM revolver in 38 Spl. Not good.

This, from post number 1976, here:

April 1999 Questions And Answers

"Jason, unfortunately you have not found a treasure. The Rohm company (Rohm GmbH of Sontheim/Brenz West Germany) produced a large range of pistols under their own name, and then sold them under a dozen other names as well, most of these names were for American export sales in the days prior to the gun control Act of 1968. The passage of the 1968 gun Control act, with its restrictions on pistol dimensions, severely curtailed the importation of Rohm pistols into the United States and many of the sales names promptly ceased to exist. In addition to cheap revolvers, Rohm produced starting pistols, gas pistols and alarm pistols for the U.S. marketplace during the late 1960s, this is probably the reason that your revolver reminds you of a starting pistol. Rohm revolvers are usually identifiable by a round medallion in the grip carrying 'RG' and the model number. Rohm values fall in the $25.00 or less range. If you intend to fire this revolver I would strongly advise you to have it checked by a competent gunsmith first."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting