U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 PM

51,076 posts, read 29,158,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Mike, glad you found your "root cause". Maybe you were wearing a 10 gallon hat when you bought those dies, and the guy behind the counter figured you just *had* to be wanting .45 Colt, not .45 ACP? Caliber designations can be confusing. Dedicated gun guys know the various rounds that are out there, but there must be a dozen various "series" names (25-20, 44-40, etc. 30/06, 25/06, 338/06 etc. 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 219 Zipper, 220 Swift, etc.) All the numbers have some meaning, but they are not very consistant!
Thanks Mitch, and I'll tell ya, that's one of those times when I'll be saying "What the heck was I thinking?" I know the store where I got the dies from, and I must have seen .45 Colt, and the right side of the tag on the box must have been hidden because I thought it was going to say "ACP", but I didn't pay enough attention.. And what's funnier is, I've had these dies for 9 years!

So in a way, discussing the .45 Colt cartridge gave me the idea to look at the tag on the side of the box for the RCBS dies, to see which .45 cartridge they're for.

I also have .45 Colt reloading dies, but no gun in that caliber, so I guess I'm gonna have to get one!

I know what you mean about similar caliber names, and when I bought the reloading dies for my Savage 110 target rifle, in the 25-06 caliber in 2001, I made sure they were for the 25, and not 30 ought six cartridge.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,224,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I also have .45 Colt reloading dies, but no gun in that caliber, so I guess I'm gonna have to get one!
Several years ago, I bought some reloading equipment from a guy at work who was selling what he had. Part of what I acquired were dies for .223 and .308, both of which were calibers that I had no gun for. Well, not too long ago, I decided that since I had the dies, I needed to put them to good use, so I purchased a Springfield M1A (.308) and a Kel-Tec SU16 (.223) rifle.

Since that time, I've purchased two other .223 rifles. I guess I should get another .308, too, so if I have a problem with the M1A, I'll still be able to put the dies to good use.

I also bought a bunch of reloading stuff from another friend of mine a few months back. That batch included some .44 (Magnum/Special) dies. I don't have anything to use them for at the moment, so I guess I need to make another trip to the gun shop to look at some .44s. I really don't want those dies to go to waste! Boy, oh, boy! This reloading hobby is much more expensive than I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to save money by reloading!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:56 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,919,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Several years ago, I bought some reloading equipment from a guy at work who was selling what he had. Part of what I acquired were dies for .223 and .308, both of which were calibers that I had no gun for. Well, not too long ago, I decided that since I had the dies, I needed to put them to good use, so I purchased a Springfield M1A (.308) and a Kel-Tec SU16 (.223) rifle.

Since that time, I've purchased two other .223 rifles. I guess I should get another .308, too, so if I have a problem with the M1A, I'll still be able to put the dies to good use.

I also bought a bunch of reloading stuff from another friend of mine a few months back. That batch included some .44 (Magnum/Special) dies. I don't have anything to use them for at the moment, so I guess I need to make another trip to the gun shop to look at some .44s. I really don't want those dies to go to waste! Boy, oh, boy! This reloading hobby is much more expensive than I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to save money by reloading!
LMAO think again man. Once your hooked on this reloading gig it becomes part of your monthly budget. I've got dies for the >44 in my box too, and my local gunshop guy has a NICE super Redhawk in his case for 450 bucks. Lol. I like the ol' .44 mag, I just ....ohhh now I'm justifying. Arrrg. I have an M1A too, fine rifle. For general use around the ranch though I pull out my "Cowboy" .45. It has stomped many a Yote and feral dog at ranges out to 200 yards. . Now , hmmm do I supplement with a new super Redhawk? There are so many "evil" influences in here.......Lol my wife IS out of town visiting relatives and the lil' guy and me have a quorum

Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,071,718 times
Unhappy "Look out! Incoming!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm heading into the city today and I'm thinking bout getting a new .45 Colt handgun. Either a Redhawk or maybe a Smtih 25. I'm leaning toward the Smith. It's a dangerous thing going to the gun store right after payday.......LMAO
Check out the March issue of Combat Handguns and the new Smith M396 "Nightguard" in .44 Spl. A very lovely snubbie, and with that laser designator, you have one ultra-reliable (but ony 5 shot...) fight-stopper, yes?

Having said that, I just took delivery yesterday of a brand new SA XD(M) in 9mm as a "polite social discussion" facilitator. I noted over on the Obama gun grabber thread that we will see a re-try of the AWB, but in the meantime, all Barama has to do is issue a "temporary sales restraining order" pending the outcome of the bill. He'd tell his acolytes (Schummer et al) to proceed s l o w l y for now to have the greatest impact on sales, and as you know, such an exec. order could take effect, oh lets say, tomorrow morning.

Ordered your AK/AR/SIG/Galil/Mini-14 yet? They are all on that lovely list!

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Check out the March issue of Combat Handguns and the new Smith M396 "Nightguard" in .44 Spl. A very lovely snubbie, and with that laser designator, you have one ultra-reliable (but ony 5 shot...) fight-stopper, yes?

Having said that, I just took delivery yesterday of a brand new SA XD(M) in 9mm as a "polite social discussion" facilitator. I noted over on the Obama gun grabber thread that we will see a re-try of the AWB, but in the meantime, all Barama has to do is issue a "temporary sales restraining order" pending the outcome of the bill. He'd tell his acolytes (Schummer et al) to proceed s l o w l y for now to have the greatest impact on sales, and as you know, such an exec. order could take effect, oh lets say, tomorrow morning.

Lol I replied to your last post on that thread. I've had my service style stuff stacked up for a while. I saw one of them .44's. Thats not what I'm looking for though. My carry guns are my 1911's and a plus p .38 snub. I'm more in the market for something with at least a 4 , preferbly 6 inch barrel in a beefy configuration. N frame Smith, Redhawk,Anaconda (Had one of these and sold it) I'm tickled with my 1911's as defensive weapons and they get used a LOT in competition too. Pretty funny, all the gun counter guys at Cabelas and Scheels looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about a Smith 25. "No man" they says, "You need a Glock".. If I wanted Tupperware I'd host a party for petes sake!! The Cabelas guys were rude to my lil' guy too so I won't be going THERE again. He was trying to ask about an iron sight setup for his LR 308 and the guy says "go away kid". I was LIVID! All my business will stay with small mom and pop places from that day forward.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Lol I replied to your last post on that thread. I've had my service style stuff stacked up for a while. I saw one of them .44's. Thats not what I'm looking for though. My carry guns are my 1911's and a plus p .38 snub. I'm more in the market for something with at least a 4 , preferbly 6 inch barrel in a beefy configuration. N frame Smith, Redhawk,Anaconda (Had one of these and sold it) I'm tickled with my 1911's as defensive weapons and they get used a LOT in competition too. Pretty funny, all the gun counter guys at Cabelas and Scheels looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about a Smith 25. "No man" they says, "You need a Glock".. If I wanted Tupperware I'd host a party for petes sake!! The Cabelas guys were rude to my lil' guy too so I won't be going THERE again. He was trying to ask about an iron sight setup for his LR 308 and the guy says "go away kid". I was LIVID! All my business will stay with small mom and pop places from that day forward.
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences at Cabelas. My experiences with them have all been very positive, though most have been through the website. Since there isn't a store close by, I don't get there often. In fact, I've only set foot inside one time, and that was the Sidney, Nebraska store. Your Reno store is about the closest one to me, and that's an eight hour drive! I do tend to like the "mom and pop" type stores for things like this, though, because they are more interested in making a sale than they are in selling whatever they have in excess. In the last year, I would probably have been named "customer of the month" at my local gun shop about six different times. It seems I'm always buying something there, and I know almost everyone that walks through the door, too. One time, while in the gun shop, I even ran into a guy I know from work who lives over an hour away.

Well, I hope with the economy going the way it is, that the gun ban legislation stays on the back burner. The only thing that would be better is if it just went away completely, with no hope of returning. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Having said that, I just took delivery yesterday of a brand new SA XD(M) in 9mm as a "polite social discussion" facilitator.
I purchased an XD45, just a short time before the XD(M) models were announced. But, since we can't get them here in the PRC at this time, I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote:
Most of those are guns we can't get here, either. I am, however, bolstering my collection with those things I can get. The only problem is there's never enough money to buy everything I want!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I purchased an XD45, just a short time before the XD(M) models were announced. But, since we can't get them here in the PRC at this time, I guess it doesn't matter.

Most of those are guns we can't get here, either. I am, however, bolstering my collection with those things I can get. The only problem is there's never enough money to buy everything I want!
Yea, CA's firearms laws do suck. I'm glad I don't live here, I love the state, it's beutiful. Maybe ya'll can secede and become part of Nevada. THAT would be cool. My oldest son bought a Springfield XD and he likes it. It seems a solid piece, for a polymer frame. Lol I'm pretty old school with my stuff, I like the good ol' steel frames, although I do have a Walther P22 that is a good lil' pistol. They have come leaps and bounds with polymer tech for sure.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Yea, CA's firearms laws do suck. I'm glad I don't live here, I love the state, it's beutiful. Maybe ya'll can secede and become part of Nevada. THAT would be cool. My oldest son bought a Springfield XD and he likes it. It seems a solid piece, for a polymer frame. Lol I'm pretty old school with my stuff, I like the good ol' steel frames, although I do have a Walther P22 that is a good lil' pistol. They have come leaps and bounds with polymer tech for sure.
I was just fondling one of those P22s a few days ago, while I was picking up my Cimarron Plinkerton from the shop. I liked it, but the Sig Mosquito was more to my liking. I may end up buying one of them once I'm eligible again (darn one-gun-a-month limit). I've added a few 22s to my collection recently, partly because they are cheap to shoot, and partly because my kids are finally starting to show more interest in shooting activities.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,924 times
OK, I'm coming to the experts!

When you call Dillon to get answers on your Square Deal B press for a 45 acp, you get different answers depending on who you talk to. Oh yes, and there are a few who think a woman asking questions is always a "dumb blonde".

Here is my question: We have a 45 acp case gauge. My husband checks every round when made. For whatever reason, some slip in flat on top surface very easily, some stick out of gauge a bit, and then there are a few that stick out 1/2 way (still learning reloader).

Is the finished round supposed to go competely flat on top with the case gauge? One guy at Dillon said "yes", and the other said it can stick out some and be okay for use. Another guy said you have to use the barrel of your gun as the tester.

Any help will be so greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting