U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 07:50 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
OK, I'm coming to the experts!

When you call Dillon to get answers on your Square Deal B press for a 45 acp, you get different answers depending on who you talk to. Oh yes, and there are a few who think a woman asking questions is always a "dumb blonde".

Here is my question: We have a 45 acp case gauge. My husband checks every round when made. For whatever reason, some slip in flat on top surface very easily, some stick out of gauge a bit, and then there are a few that stick out 1/2 way (still learning reloader).

Is the finished round supposed to go competely flat on top with the case gauge? One guy at Dillon said "yes", and the other said it can stick out some and be okay for use. Another guy said you have to use the barrel of your gun as the tester.

Any help will be so greatly appreciated.
Hi Barb! Welcome back! Umm Ok when you say "case gauge" i'm assuming you are using this to check over all length after loading? Or is this checking for "case stretch" before loading? . I always use either my dial calipers or a regular micrometer to check OAL and case length. As a general rule, handgun brass that I find that would require trimming to use I just huck. Remember , also , that different bullets will have a different over all length(OAL) on the finished round which is why I choose to use a dial caliper to check that measument. An OAL gauge should show a finished round flush with the top of the gauge. Of course you don't mention what bullet you are using as opposed to the measurment of the gauge. A 45 Auto standard 230 grain ball round should be within a maximum of 1.270 OAL. Slightly under will still be OK. Within a couple thousanths. Now a 185 grain jacketed hollow point should be within 1.212 maximum OAL give or take a thousanth. So some loaded rounds will measure differently on a case gauge depending on bullet style. Does this help? I hope we are on the same page. If not feel free to ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 06:31 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,282 times
NVplumber, thanks. We use the case gauge for the length but also to see if the round is the right width (diameter).

We use 186 grain JHP .45 acp.

If you put a round in the case gauge to check the length/width, it doesn't always go in flush with the top of the gauge. Our rounds are measuring about 4.73 at the end towards the primer.

About the length. We measured store bought pers prot rounds and they are about 1.2 in length. The rounds we make go from 1.2 to 1.4 in length.

We're using a Dillon Square Deal B press. It does everything for you.

If I need to make the length shorter, do I set the stage 4 (crimp/taper) down more so it pushes the bullet further into the casing?

As you can see, we are still learning and the guys at Dillon give different answers every time you call.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
NVplumber, thanks. We use the case gauge for the length but also to see if the round is the right width (diameter).

We use 186 grain JHP .45 acp.

If you put a round in the case gauge to check the length/width, it doesn't always go in flush with the top of the gauge. Our rounds are measuring about 4.73 at the end towards the primer.

About the length. We measured store bought pers prot rounds and they are about 1.2 in length. The rounds we make go from 1.2 to 1.4 in length.

We're using a Dillon Square Deal B press. It does everything for you.

If I need to make the length shorter, do I set the stage 4 (crimp/taper) down more so it pushes the bullet further into the casing?

As you can see, we are still learning and the guys at Dillon give different answers every time you call.
The seat die is what you would adjust to get the OAL you are after. Station 3 ( I believe that the stations are just like the RL550 on the square deal.) Now. 1.4 anything is way out of spec for a .45 Auto. A 185 JHP OAL spec is , as I said 1.212. Your loading manual should tell you what the OAL spec is for the bullet you are using. You are using a "go-no go" cartridge gauge and it's telling you what it is supposed to, as near as I can tell. If you are varying between 1.2 and 1.4 there is something out of whack on that press somewhere. Give the thing a good going over. Check for loose set nuts on your dies, ALL of them. Any one of them, if loose or seriously out of whack could be the issue. Also check your shell plate as this adjusment is critical as well. Your varyance for finished rounds should be within a couple thousanths, not a couple HUNDRETHS. Thats big numbers in reloading. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,282 times
Thank you. We will be checking everything over.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,665,134 times
Quote:
Thank you. We will be checking everything over.
Be sure your using the full stroke on you press while seating the bullet and that your die is tightened in the press, once your depth is set it should not change, read a manual to be sure your setting up the dies correctly.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,066,557 times
Question Whazz up, man?

I'd like to politely barge in here for an important request:

A few of my customers have called me today (1/27/09) saying they can't find Large Rifle or Small Pistol or LR Mag primers ANYWHERE this afternoon. Ditto on some popular powders! Midway, Cabela's, Sportsmen's Warehouse. Shooter's Supply. Jerry's Sports Center. Nada.

I called CCI and got no return, unlike them. Someone said that the recent "first day letter of intent" by Barama indicated his admin's interest in the serial numbered bullets & cases plus some new excise taxation on reloading supplies in general. Plus of course his (Schumer's/Boxer's/ Feinstein's / Pelosi's) wet dream of re-instating the moribund AWB.

Any thoughts? Anyone else looked into this, and has some more accurate info?

PS: I've been thinking of buying, soon, what I determine to be a "lifetime's supply" of reloading components NOW. You know, 10,000 LR primers, 5,000 LRM, 10,000 SP, etc., plus bullets, powder, etc.

The prices can only go up, right? or am I getting paranoid in my advancing age?

Hmmm...

(Sorry to barge in! PS: NV, for what it's worth, I've loaded up some hotter than normal .45LC 250 gr hard lead bullets for my Win 92 using shortened 454 Casull brass, and kept the loads to sub-44 Mag velocities. About 1240 fps in that rifle bbl. seems to do the trick on anything out there, even snarky interior Alaskan grizz...).

After which, it's usually Evan Williams time; single barrel bottling!

DM me if you want to discuss off line, guys. Thanks!

Last edited by rifleman; 01-27-2009 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-27-2009, 07:39 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,220,340 times
Be careful when stocking up on primers and powder. You may be restricted to how many you can keep on hand, due mostly to fire regulations. NFPA 495 states that no more than 10,000 primers should be stored in a private residence. Local restrictions may be even more limiting. There are also restrictions on the storing of powder, which, for what I consider obvious reasons, should be well separated from the primers. Again, citing NFPA 495, No more than 20 pounds of smokeless powder for individual use is to be stored, unless kept in a wooden cabinet or box with walls at least 1 inch nominal thickness, in which case up to 50 pounds may be stored. Black powder is even more restricted, and is limited to five pounds.

One thing to keep in mind with powder is that it needs to be kept in a well ventilated area. If kept in a sealed space (ammo can or gun safe, for example), the risk of explosion from fire becomes extremely great. The reason is that as the powder burns, it generates very high gas pressures, that will eventually cause the enclosure to explode. I believe this is partially why a wooden storage container is required. Another thing to keep in mind is to store the powder away from any potential ignition source, and out of direct sunlight, as well.

SAAMI produces a document entitled "Properties And Storage Of Smokeless Propellants," which should be available from various powder manufacturers. This may be something you want to look at and keep in mind when storing reloading components.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Lol, one of the advantages of being out in the weeds is the lack of give a care by the local VFD as to how much volatile stuff ( powder, primers, fuel, etc) we keep around. But that is a valid point. Not everyone is so lucky and some municipalities get balled up about bulk storage. It could mean a healthy ticket and loss of a lot of dough in components. Rifleman, I havn't had any trouble getting primers and other components herebouts. Starline has some real good prices on brass right now, and I usually don't mail order primers and powder due to haz mat shipping cost. It's just cheaper to go to the gun store and get the stuff. I have noticed a lot of web stores are out of stock on such items though, however the gun stores and such seem to have an ample supply of components, but I'm sure thats not the case everywhere. Starline next dayed out 1500 brand spankin' new Colt and ACP cases to me last week and I already had close to 15000 primers, (large pistol, small pistol and rifle, and magnum) same with .45 cast bullets. Now I have been having some trouble finding my favorite .45 jacketed bullet from Sierra. The 200 grain FPJ. Can't find it anywhere. >45 Colt is something I like to have an ample supply of because factory ammo ain't cheap and no one keeps much of it in stock anyway. Small demand for it I'm told. The .44 far outstrips it in popularity so if you have a .45Colt I would certainly recommend getting into handloading. Factory ammo for the old .45 is anemic at best anyway due to SAMMI specs being set at pressure for the old SAA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting