U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,062 posts, read 29,141,449 times
Reputation: 90150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Don't know what press your using but you might try flaring the case mouth out just a tad more before seating. My RL550 will bulge like that if the flare is light. It cause the bullet to force the brass out on the case mouth because it's to tight a fit. Doesn't take much either..just a tweak. The bullet should rest easily in the case mouth after it leaves the charge/ flare station. About an 1/8 inch into the case mouth. That should cure the bulge problem.
Thanks for the tips NVPlumber. I have an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press, with RCBS dies. I do flare the case mouths out, but the bulging happens in one out of perhaps 8 cases. The case lengths are also within the specified range. I also do crimp the cases when I seat the bullets.

I am planning on doing some adjustments on the dies this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,062 posts, read 29,141,449 times
Reputation: 90150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I reload also and find the .45 ACP among the easiest to reload. Are you using a single stage press?
Yes I am, an RCBS Rockchucker, and I never had that problem reloading 9mm, and .40 S&W. Like I mentioned in my previous message, I will make some adjustments on the dies this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Reputation: 12290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Thanks for the tips NVPlumber. I have an RCBS Rockchucker single stage press, with RCBS dies. I do flare the case mouths out, but the bulging happens in one out of perhaps 8 cases. The case lengths are also within the specified range. I also do crimp the cases when I seat the bullets.

I am planning on doing some adjustments on the dies this weekend.
I seem to remember having a similar problem with case "wrinkleing" once to. It was caused by a build up of case lube in the sizing die.. I have since been extremeny diligent in swabbing out my dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,062 posts, read 29,141,449 times
Reputation: 90150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I seem to remember having a similar problem with case "wrinkleing" once to. It was caused by a build up of case lube in the sizing die.. I have since been extremeny diligent in swabbing out my dies.
I use RCBS Carbide dies in the .45 ACP, and the rest of my pistol calibers, which eliminate the need for case lubrication, but I do swab clean all my rifle dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2008, 06:10 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Reputation: 2558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I use RCBS Carbide dies in the .45 ACP, and the rest of my pistol calibers, which eliminate the need for case lubrication, but I do swab clean all my rifle dies.
I use carbide dies for 357 & 44 mag. Theyre the only straight walled cartriges I load for.

One thing I found useful Mike for preventing runout bulges are Lyman "M" expander dies Instead of a ball type expander its a cylynder with a step at the end & then a taper. It expands like a normal expander but the last 1/16" or so is a few thou bigger & then it flares. The bigger step leaves the neck the same dia (in theory) as the bullet so it can start nicely & the flare helps if useing cast bullets.

I discovered the "M" dies loading 45/70's. My sizer was tight & the bullets bulged the case every time. Thats another thing I was going to mention. Your sizer might just be on the small end of tolerances.

All thats assuming you were talking about runout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2008, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,361 posts, read 3,712,634 times
Reputation: 785
Thank you all for the info on the grains as well as what may be causing the stovepipes. Yes, a couple of my husbands guns are brand new but a few aren't.

Happy target shooting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 08:35 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Reputation: 12290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I use carbide dies for 357 & 44 mag. Theyre the only straight walled cartriges I load for.

One thing I found useful Mike for preventing runout bulges are Lyman "M" expander dies Instead of a ball type expander its a cylynder with a step at the end & then a taper. It expands like a normal expander but the last 1/16" or so is a few thou bigger & then it flares. The bigger step leaves the neck the same dia (in theory) as the bullet so it can start nicely & the flare helps if useing cast bullets.

I discovered the "M" dies loading 45/70's. My sizer was tight & the bullets bulged the case every time. Thats another thing I was going to mention. Your sizer might just be on the small end of tolerances.

All thats assuming you were talking about runout.
This is he type of flare die that my Dillon uses. The powder charge and flare are completed in the same station. The flare and funnel are one in the same. I love my 550B. Had it for over 20 years and loaded I don't know how much ammo with it. I also have two Rock Chuckers and an old Lyman that I picked up at a garage sale and never used...yet..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,361 posts, read 3,712,634 times
Reputation: 785
Need info on Hodgen Clays .45 acp 185gr JHP loads (minimum & maximum)

Website doesn't list JHP.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 11:24 AM
 
Location: 96820
795 posts, read 2,037,024 times
Reputation: 393
Talking blamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I've been handloading for the old Colt for a long time now and started doing so as an experiment in ballistics fueled by a belief that the ol' war horse still had it in her. Firstly I made sure I was using HIGH quality brass and worked slowly up the tables using strong guns such as the Ruger Blackhawk, Colt Anaconda and Marlin1895. The .45 Colt is certainly a strong performer despite it's supposed "demise" in certain quarters of the gun press. The .44 mag is a strong performer certainly, but I , personally find the Colt to be a lot more fun. You can sling a 300 grain JHP out at 1100 FPS and a 250 out at close to 1300. Thats a flying sledghammer! Using the Sierra 200 gr flat pt jacketed bullet ( This is a .45 ACP bullet that works well if your chambers are sized at .451/.452 rather than the original.454 ..mike your chambers) I've tipped over..or rather BOWLED over coyotes at 200 yards. with my Marlin lever gun using this bullet and 9 grains of Unique. I've used the colt for feral pig with equally pleasing results. I'm thinking the death of the .45 Colt has been greatly exagerated. If your a handloader I think you can give the fine .44 mag a run for it's money with the old .45. But ya don't want to use these loads in great grand dads Peacemaker!! Only in heavily built MODERN guns.
Have you read this --
Heavy Bullets in the 45 Colt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times
Reputation: 12290
Great link Arkansas!! I KNEW there was a reason I love the ol' Colt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top