U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
 
Location: USA
13,614 posts, read 7,378,113 times
Reputation: 9856

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Need info on Hodgen Clays .45 acp 185gr JHP loads (minimum & maximum)

Website doesn't list JHP.

Thanks

I would start with the low range of the 185 grain JSWC (Jacketed Semi Wadcutter) and work up from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2008, 04:02 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,934,108 times
Reputation: 12291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I would start with the low range of the 185 grain JSWC (Jacketed Semi Wadcutter) and work up from there.
I DMed her some info out of my Hodgedon #26 manual for a 185 gr JSP. Aside from the difference in style charges will be the same. BUT, each of the three bullets mentioned will deliver different accuracy with the same powder charge in different guns. Of course thats the fun of it, finding what your gun likes can be interesting. My 1911 doesn't like Clays with ANY bullet near as well as it likes 231 or Bullseye, My Para Ordanance likes it pretty well with Cast bullets though. And My Marlin .45 Colt lever gun will cut the ten ring out at 50 yards with 4.5 grains of Clays and a 200 grain Cast flat point for .45 ACP. The best all around performer I've got for .45 Colt in all my guns, is a 200 grain LSW and 6.2 grains of Red Dot. I just tried the stuff on a whim one day and have been using it ever since. My ACP.s like the stuff to with the same bullet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 04:03 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
13,423 posts, read 42,835,934 times
Reputation: 11524
As to bulging cases in the 45 ACP, if you are loading a cast bullet with too large of a diameter for your actual application, that might bulge the case at the base of the bullet.

What bullet are you using, Mike, and what diameter?

You can "cure" this by using a taper-crimp die, which will re-size the case, bullet, and all (although the resulting load may or may not shoot to the same point of impact as the ones that were not bulged - depending on what you are doing, this may or may not matter to you)

You may want to segregate the cases that bulge, then run them through the taper crimp die.

If you are getting bulging using a jacketed bullet that's intended for the ACP, I would tend to blame the brass, but I'm guessing at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
1,361 posts, read 3,717,612 times
Reputation: 790
You guys are the best! Thanks so much - off to show hubby what I found out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 06:05 PM
 
Location: USA
13,614 posts, read 7,378,113 times
Reputation: 9856
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I DMed her some info out of my Hodgedon #26 manual for a 185 gr JSP. Aside from the difference in style charges will be the same. BUT, each of the three bullets mentioned will deliver different accuracy with the same powder charge in different guns. Of course thats the fun of it, finding what your gun likes can be interesting. My 1911 doesn't like Clays with ANY bullet near as well as it likes 231 or Bullseye, My Para Ordanance likes it pretty well with Cast bullets though. And My Marlin .45 Colt lever gun will cut the ten ring out at 50 yards with 4.5 grains of Clays and a 200 grain Cast flat point for .45 ACP. The best all around performer I've got for .45 Colt in all my guns, is a 200 grain LSW and 6.2 grains of Red Dot. I just tried the stuff on a whim one day and have been using it ever since. My ACP.s like the stuff to with the same bullet.

Good deal! Yes, I agree, you need to find what combo your gun likes. My 1911A1 likes a 200 gr LSWC over Clays. I'll have to try HP-38/W231 and see if I get any better groups. I only use that powder for reloading .38 Spl. Hmmm, never used Red Dot, but may give it a try for my SAA in .45 Colt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2008, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,095 posts, read 29,175,893 times
Reputation: 90178
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
As to bulging cases in the 45 ACP, if you are loading a cast bullet with too large of a diameter for your actual application, that might bulge the case at the base of the bullet.

What bullet are you using, Mike, and what diameter?

You can "cure" this by using a taper-crimp die, which will re-size the case, bullet, and all (although the resulting load may or may not shoot to the same point of impact as the ones that were not bulged - depending on what you are doing, this may or may not matter to you)

You may want to segregate the cases that bulge, then run them through the taper crimp die.

If you are getting bulging using a jacketed bullet that's intended for the ACP, I would tend to blame the brass, but I'm guessing at this point.
I use Hornady XTP, and Sierra 200-grain bullets, I don't use cast bullets, with Winchester LP primers, and 8.3 grains of Accurate Arms #5 powder.

I loaded 50 rounds today and I think I got the issue squared away by making adjustments on the expander, and the bullet seating dies. I'm actually having to seat the bullets a little deeper because I found out if I seated them to the cartridge overall length specified in the Hornady loading manual, I experienced feeding problems with 2 out of 5 cartridges. I tried a few cartridges loaded with just the bullets, no primers or powder and that was when I found out about the need to make changes to the bullet seating depth.

I'll be going to the shooting range on Sunday and I'll see how that load works.

Thanks for the help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 12:06 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,934,108 times
Reputation: 12291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Good deal! Yes, I agree, you need to find what combo your gun likes. My 1911A1 likes a 200 gr LSWC over Clays. I'll have to try HP-38/W231 and see if I get any better groups. I only use that powder for reloading .38 Spl. Hmmm, never used Red Dot, but may give it a try for my SAA in .45 Colt.
I can highly recommend Red Dot for the .45 Colt! ALL my Colts like it. It's a flake powder, but it feeds fine in my Dillon. It's down the burn chart a little. Somewhat slower than W231. 6.2 grains over ye ol' 250 grain cast flat point works in all three of my guns. Works very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: USA
13,614 posts, read 7,378,113 times
Reputation: 9856
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I can highly recommend Red Dot for the .45 Colt! ALL my Colts like it. It's a flake powder, but it feeds fine in my Dillon. It's down the burn chart a little. Somewhat slower than W231. 6.2 grains over ye ol' 250 grain cast flat point works in all three of my guns. Works very well.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give Red Dot a try! I use the 250 grain cast bullet also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 10:32 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,340 posts, read 10,934,108 times
Reputation: 12291
The subject of bullet diameter has been brought up and this is a topic that bears discussion. Verily not all .45 bullets are created equal. Typical size for ACP bullets runs.451/.452. The "standard" for the .45 Colt is .454. Some .45 Colts will shoot bullets for the ACP and some won't. This is due to variations in the chamber mouth and actual bore diameter of certain guns. Most new .45 Colt handguns (revolvers) are being made with tighter chambers and bores now in an effort to keep all .45 cal stuff roughly equal. If you take your dial caliper and check your actual bore diameter and chamber mouth this will tell you what diameter of bullet will be best for your particular gun. If it's on the big side(.454) thats the diameter bullet you want to use. ACP bullets in .451 will probably give poor accuacy results. They will shoot...just poorly. If it's on the smaller end (.451 or2) ACP bullets will work fine. BUT if you want to go to a heavier bullet make sure to read the label on the box before you stuff em'. They make .451 bullets just for the old Colt now. In the 250 to 350 grain range. Make sure you know what diameter your .45 Colt is built for. It's a crap shoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,095 posts, read 29,175,893 times
Reputation: 90178
I took my Colt 1911 .45 ACP to the shooting range on Sunday, and I fired 30 rounds out of the new box of reloads. I only experienced 2 misfeeds, so I guess that's a big improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top