U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,905,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I took my Colt 1911 .45 ACP to the shooting range on Sunday, and I fired 30 rounds out of the new box of reloads. I only experienced 2 misfeeds, so I guess that's a big improvement.
Were the mis feeds due to the same issue as before? Hmm misfeeds at a predictable rate would drive me crazy! . lol I feel your pain. Wish I could see the problem in real time. That would help in diagnosis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM

13,392 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Yeah, a 45 ACP should go through box after box of ammo without any misfeeds or any other problem. Maybe, Mike, your feed ramp needs a little polishing? That's one of the few simple, easy DIY things you can do on your own 45 with just a Dremel. Note I'm saying polish, with a felt bob and abrasive paste, not grind with a stone. Some feed ramps can be improved with a stone, but the stone requires you know what you are doing, bigtime.

A very simple trick with revolvers - take the bullet you are thinking about using and just push the bullet by itself into one chamber throat at random, if it falls through without any resistance, very likely this bullet is too small for the chamber throats of the revolver in question. Certainly this is true with cast bullets. If you have a bullet that fits reasonably snug, you can try all the chambers to see how uniform they are (although making them more uniform is probably only for the most advanced home gunsmith - I personally wouldn't try it.)

Old 12-29-2008, 05:19 PM

51,066 posts, read 29,141,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Were the mis feeds due to the same issue as before? Hmm misfeeds at a predictable rate would drive me crazy! . lol I feel your pain. Wish I could see the problem in real time. That would help in diagnosis
M3 Mitch, and NVPlumber - Yes, the misfeeds I experienced this past weekend were due to cartridges being too large near the top of the cases to fit into the chamber, and there was no bulging of the 2 cases. I've shot factory ammo through the gun before and I never had any problems with jams/misfeeds, and the feed ramp is not the issue, it's just some of the reloaded rounds. I also went to gun store to see if they had the Lyman dies you mentioned, but nobody had them. I'll look on Midway's website.

Overall 2 out of 25 is a lot better than the 2 out of 5 misfeeds I was experiencing before, and I'll do some more adjustments on the bullet seating die.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:49 PM

I just finished building a 1911. Para lower with a Thompson upper, used the stock barrel out of my Norinco and scrounged about my spare parts for the rest. I had this stuff laying around for years. My son and I just finished testing it out. It ran flawlessly exept for a couple limp wrist jams on my son. Lol his hands need to grow some. Had a new gun and didn't even know it. Pays to collect parts sometimes. I just found another Colt Anaconda in the paper. Lol Can't have too many .45's....I LOVE the big snakes.

Last edited by NVplumber; 12-30-2008 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 12-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Mike, you are using the term "misfeed", but, if I understand what you are saying about the cartridge being too large in diameter near the case mouth, I think what you are seeing is the slide not closing all the way on a loaded round, right?

Or are the cartridges not feeding out of the magazine and going into the chamber?

If you can get your hands on a good caliper (you need one as a reloader anyway) you can compare diameters of factory rounds to your reloads and figure out what dimensions you need to change to get reliable function.

I have shot a lot of 200 grain cast over 3.5 Bullseye "softball" loads in my Gold Cup, mostly loaded on a Dillon. Dillon dies, Dillon powder measure. The only function problem I ever had was after a couple of hundred rounds sometimes bullet lube would build up in the chamber so the slide would not close completely (fail to return fully to battery). The temporary fix was to push the slide closed with my off hand, the fix was just to clean the barrel with Hoppe's.

I think if you measure your reloads you'll find some are bigger than spec or at least bigger than the chamber in *your* .45 where the bullet base is in the case.

Forgot to ask what kind of brass you are using. If you have mixed bag brass, see if the failures to function happen mostly with a certain brand of brass.

One thing that usually cures this problem is a taper-crimp die. It's one more step with a single-station press, but, if it will give you 100% reliable ammo, maybe it's worth it.

Maybe you are due for a belated Christmas gift from Dillon? I know *a lot* of people who have Dillon machines, you almost *never* see them available used. I have never heard a mumbling word bad about them, except maybe the initial cost is not exactly cheap. Dillon will ship you parts if anything breaks, pretty much just on your word that it's broke. Did I mention that I like Dillon loaders?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,218,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
...Maybe you are due for a belated Christmas gift from Dillon? I know *a lot* of people who have Dillon machines, you almost *never* see them available used. I have never heard a mumbling word bad about them, except maybe the initial cost is not exactly cheap. Dillon will ship you parts if anything breaks, pretty much just on your word that it's broke. Did I mention that I like Dillon loaders?
I like 'em, too. I also have an RL-550B, and it works quite well. My only problem with it to date is that I once broke a small primer punch. I had a spare because I purchased the spare parts kit, but I haven't yet called to get the broken one replaced. I haven't even had to use any of the other spare parts yet. I also bought a used Lee single stage press from a friend that doesn't reload anymore, but so far, I haven't even set it up for anything. I'm sure I'll find a use for it sometime soon, but until then, who knows? I figure it never hurts to have an extra press around in case I need to resize cases or something, while I'm using the Dillon for something else. The nice thing about the Dillon is the quick change toolhead. That, along with a Caliber Conversion Kit, makes changing calibers quick and easy. I still have to set up some of my dies, though, since I haven't yet set them all up. So far, I've only reloaded straight wall handgun loads. The necked-down rifle loads (primarily .223 and .308) will be a bit more of a challenge, but I'm looking forward to starting on them sometime soon.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 AM

I had an interesting failure to chamber problem similar to Mikes a while back. I was using a stubby nosed 185 grSWC and whenever I loaded them to proper OAL they would NOT chamber. I tore my hair out on this and never did figger out what the skinny was there. I just shelved those bullets and went back to the standard profile swc. It was so strange...I could pull the barrel out and they would drop right in the chamber but not if the barrel was in the gun. . I figger it HAD to be some type of headspacing issue being as the ACP headspaces on the case mouth but life is to short and I had plenty of bullets that worked without having to have a mechanical engineering degree to get them to cycle. I still think about that one sometimes. I hate being stumped.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM

51,066 posts, read 29,141,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Mike, you are using the term "misfeed", but, if I understand what you are saying about the cartridge being too large in diameter near the case mouth, I think what you are seeing is the slide not closing all the way on a loaded round, right?
If you can get your hands on a good caliper (you need one as a reloader anyway) you can compare diameters of factory rounds to your reloads and figure out what dimensions you need to change to get reliable function.

I have shot a lot of 200 grain cast over 3.5 Bullseye "softball" loads in my Gold Cup, mostly loaded on a Dillon. Dillon dies, Dillon powder measure. The only function problem I ever had was after a couple of hundred rounds sometimes bullet lube would build up in the chamber so the slide would not close completely (fail to return fully to battery). The temporary fix was to push the slide closed with my off hand, the fix was just to clean the barrel with Hoppe's.

I think if you measure your reloads you'll find some are bigger than spec or at least bigger than the chamber in *your* .45 where the bullet base is in the case.

Forgot to ask what kind of brass you are using. If you have mixed bag brass, see if the failures to function happen mostly with a certain brand of brass.

One thing that usually cures this problem is a taper-crimp die. It's one more step with a single-station press, but, if it will give you 100% reliable ammo, maybe it's worth it.

Maybe you are due for a belated Christmas gift from Dillon? I know *a lot* of people who have Dillon machines, you almost *never* see them available used. I have never heard a mumbling word bad about them, except maybe the initial cost is not exactly cheap. Dillon will ship you parts if anything breaks, pretty much just on your word that it's broke. Did I mention that I like Dillon loaders?
Mitch, the problem that I experienced before, and experienced twice on Sunday, with misfeeds, is not feeding from the magazine, that works fine, but with the chambering of rounds, which leaves the slide open slightly.

I do have two calipers, one digital and one dial and they are consistent in their measurments, and the 2 cartridges that did not chamber well, had a slightly fatter diameter at the case mouth.

I'm using Winchester, Remington, and Federal brass, I have about 200 brass cases, and I keep them seperated by brand.

Like I mentioned before, I am using RCBS dies, but I will be looking at getting Dillon dies.

Thanks for the information.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:35 PM

Actually, RCBS dies are excellent, I doubt that's your problem.

I would suggest measuring some of the troublesome reloads, and FWIW I would sort the "fatties" into a separate container. If the "fatties" (by this I mean the case diameter over the bullet is larger than most, larger than the factory loads that work OK) consistantly tie the gun up, see if this is a particular brand of brass, probably it is.

If you have any inclination to buy a taper crimp die, I am 99% certain it will fix the problem for you.

What .45 pistol is this? Maybe you have a tight chamber, maybe your chamber is dirty (although if you are using mostly jacketed bullets, probably not...)

Old 12-31-2008, 03:38 PM

The crimp die on my Dillons (I have 2) will do taper OR roll crimp with just a little adjustment. A crimp die for ACP should be taper. No one I know uses a roll crimp on straight wall auto pistol rounds. Running the sizing die down a mite more could solve the "fatty" issue to.Though it has been my experience that improper sizing causes more extraction issues than feed issues. I bought a bag of reloads from an indoor range once and the second round went in and would not come out. Had to knock it out with a brass punch. Then the clown at the counter sees fit to tell me the sizing die on their press was messed up. Can't figger out to this day why they even sold those rounds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting