U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,902,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder if the new .45 cal Taurus Judge will chamber .45-70? It will chamber a 3" .410 shotshell.
I have an 1894 Winchester in .45 Long Colt. It will blow a watermelon to shreds at 50 yds.
NOOOOOO!! Don't try that! you will blow the gun to pieces. If you want a 45/70 hand gun get a Contender or one of those "Buffalo" revolvers. >410 and .45 Colt don't build up near the pressure of the 45/70. By the way..nowhere on the loading spectrum is recoil NOT painful in a 45/70 handgun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
I was just wondering. Thanks for the answer. Before I actually tried such an action I would do my homework starting with asking the manufacturer.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

6,662 posts, read 25,334,551 times
Ironically the 410 shotshells will not work in a 45/70.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,293,772 times
Just a quick thought. The .44 is slightly smaller in diameter, and most charts I've looked at show that the .44 drops less at the same range, velocity and bullet weight. So in some cases that might be an advantage.

Have to admit, I like a Colt SAA as much as the next guy, but the Ruger Super Blackhawk is definitely a superior execution of the same concept. At times I've owned both, but for serious use, I'd probably always go with the .44, primarily because of the guns that chamber it.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,293,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
To answer NVplumbers question: Yeah, you can do that, but make sure the hot loads don't find their way into older revolvers - I'd rather see this as an excuse to buy a Freedom Arms .454...but there is no technical reason you couldn't trim .454 brass to .45 Colt length.
I'm suspecting the trimmed .454 might have a smaller internal volume, as the extra strength probably comes from a thicker case?

If so, you might want to work up loads carefully as pressures might be higher than those listed for a "legitimate" .45 case.

Just a thought.

After all some serious injury can happen here if something unexpected happens.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,217,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
There was no ammo at our last gun show other than a few guys selling some old military stuff, the main supplier said he was out. I'm glad I have my reloading supplies built up.
I skipped that B'field show last time around because most of the bigger vendors were at the Sac'to show instead. They showed up to the Ventura show this past weekend, though, so all is not lost (of course I'm a lot closer to that show than you are, Roaddog).

I try to keep up on most of the West Coast shows so when one is close by, I can figure out where the vendors will be. When I talked to one of the vendors I see regularly, he told me Ventura was only one of four shows last weekend that he usually attends. Lucky for me, he chose to go to Ventura instead of San Jose, considering he's from Sacramento.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
I'm suspecting the trimmed .454 might have a smaller internal volume, as the extra strength probably comes from a thicker case?

If so, you might want to work up loads carefully as pressures might be higher than those listed for a "legitimate" .45 case.

Just a thought.

After all some serious injury can happen here if something unexpected happens.
Yes, the internal volume is smaller as the case is thicker thus requiring a reduction from max in the books by (IMHO) at least a full grain depending on burn rate. It would be the same as trimming down a .38 to .357. mag length or a .44 mag to .44 special. Just seems like a fun experiment when approached with the proper knowledge and caution

Old 01-17-2009, 09:16 AM

I'm heading into the city today and I'm thinking bout getting a new .45 Colt handgun. Either a Redhawk or maybe a Smtih 25. I'm leaning toward the Smith. It's a dangerous thing going to the gun store right after payday.......LMAO

Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,217,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm heading into the city today and I'm thinking bout getting a new .45 Colt handgun. Either a Redhawk or maybe a Smtih 25. I'm leaning toward the Smith. It's a dangerous thing going to the gun store right after payday.......LMAO
It's not even payday for me, but it's still a dangerous proposition. I got out of there fairly cheap today (I only bought a new magazine for my XD45). I was looking at some of the guns in the showcase, though, and thought about possibly buying another new .22 LR pistol (Sig Mosquito). I have to wait, though, until 30 days after my most recent handgun purchase (darn one-gun-a-month rationing). There are a couple rifles I wouldn't mind getting, too, but it seems they are out of stock at all the distributors right now (I wonder why?). Why is it that even with everything I already have, there always seems to be something else I want! The GSG-5 rifle looks interesting, and my local shop is expecting to have a couple of them in soon.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:34 AM

I had to postpone my trip until today, Lol self employment doesn't mean you have a free hand all the time. lol anyway I will be slavering over guns in a few hours. My lil' Dude is going with too, he's as big a shooting enthusiast as me. he's got some yard cleaning, leaf raking and Xmas money burning a hole in his pocket. he's thinking he wants a .22 pistol. He loves my Walther P22 but he wants one of his very own. He's leaning toward a Ruger Single Six I think. He likes the Old West Appeal of a single action. I'm looking for anothe .45 Colt handgun but who knows, Scheels has a rather large selection of goodies and it may put me in a bit of a quandry. Such decisions can be SO difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting