Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM

956 posts, read 2,994,366 times

Advertisements

If you've used both, how do the two compare? In what situations would you choose one over the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,563,986 times
I've never used either, except for a couple Airsoft MP-5s. Sorry I can't compare them for you. We can't get either of them here, so I have to go out of state to rent one if I want to try it out. I would like to check out the GSG-5, which is a clone of the MP-5, but in .22 LR. That's one we can get here, from what I've been told. It looks like it would be fun to try.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:08 AM

Yeah...I'm in CA too...

Old 01-16-2009, 05:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,522,126 times
You must be one of the lucky ones, most of us in CA are not allowed ownership of full auto weapons.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
You must be one of the lucky ones, most of us in CA are not allowed ownership of full auto weapons.
The only Californians that I know that shoot full auto weapons do so in Las Vegas, at Machine Gun Kelly's or someplace similar. Those places rent these guns and provide a place to shoot them. While it's possible that there is someone in California that has a full auto, it's not very likely that they could do so legally due to the strict nature of our gun laws . I don't know if any full auto weapon is legal in California now, with usual exceptions for military and law enforcement.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:33 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,522,126 times
I have friends with licensed full autos. One friend in Corona with a civil war Gatling gun.
Full auto licensing is by BATF - federal permit paid yearly.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I don't have full auto anything. That's why I'm asking about these guns -- there's nowhere I can go to rent them here.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
I don't have full auto anything. That's why I'm asking about these guns -- there's nowhere I can go to rent them here.
If you ever get to Las Vegas, you can rent them there. I've never done it, but I do have friends that have. They do recommend it if you are even remotely interested. The only full auto stuff I have is in 6mm. Had you going for a second, didn't I? What I didn't say is that they are in 6mm .2 gram pellets, normally called "Airsoft." Even with some of my airsoft guns being full auto, I usually shoot them in semi-auto anyway. I'm much more accurate that way.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
If you ever get to Las Vegas, you can rent them there. I've never done it, but I do have friends that have. They do recommend it if you are even remotely interested. The only full auto stuff I have is in 6mm. Had you going for a second, didn't I? What I didn't say is that they are in 6mm .2 gram pellets, normally called "Airsoft." Even with some of my airsoft guns being full auto, I usually shoot them in semi-auto anyway. I'm much more accurate that way.
I just picked up a new Airsoft MP5 Style rifle today. This is my third MP5 style Airsoft gun. The first two are a spring rifle and a low power electric rifle. This one is a higher grade rifle than those two. It is an Aftermath "Broxa Evolution" that was on sale at Big 5 Sporting Goods. I have another Aftermath rifle, the "Orphus Socom" M-14 Airsoft, which I really like, so I am hoping this one will live up to my expectations. So far, the new one seems to have more plastic in it, but it shoots pretty well from my first trial of it. The velocity and rate of fire seem to be similar to my other Electric Airsoft Rifles, so I think it will work well.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 AM

18,131 posts, read 15,532,935 times
I have used the MP-5 in HK-94 trim no experience with the MP-7, but, I found the MP-5 (HK-94) to be OK within it's niche. The latter being CQB type scenerios. I used it in a three gun run. I do not like the 9mm much in any configuration, personally, and anymore, when I reach for a pistol caliber carbine I like my Marlin 94 in .45 Colt. I have also used Marlin's Camp Carbine in .45 ACP and I find it a shame that it is no longer offered as a new production option. I scored well with the aforementioned HK-94 and it's handling characteristics are a credit to it's make. HK offered this model in 10mm Auto for a short time back in the late 80's early 90's and in .45 ACP I think these models would be a fine tactical carbine for CQB and three gun/M&P type work or competition. AsI said I would not want to stake my life on ANY 9mm but I would not feel naked in the face of my enemies armed with an MP-5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting