U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:24 PM

9,184 posts, read 10,131,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just took a basic NRA pistol class, and I'm so excited to take up target shooting as my new hobby!

I want to buy a handgun (or two!), but I have small hands and they aren't very strong. I did really well with the .22 semi-automatic and the 9mm Glock, but had trouble with the big, heavy .38 special revolver. It was so hard to pull the trigger. I still hit the target, but my hand hurt afterward.

Can anyone recommend great "girl-friendly" handguns I might look into? I want to buy a light-weight small revolver and a semi-automatic. I was wondering if revolvers are all so heavy, or are some lighter and easier to pull the trigger?

I'd like to keep them each around $400 or below.

I hear I can try out several different kinds at the local ranges on a rental basis, but don't know which are good to start with.

Any advice?
The Glock is not a target pistol. It's certainly accurate enough for combat shooting, but it is not a paper puncher. You will not find a competition grade pistol for under $400, or even twice that. My advice is to begin with a comfortable .22 in your price range, practice with it until you become a better shooter than the gun. This may sound odd, but you will definitely know when it happens. Then search out some bullseye shooters. Take your gun and shoot with them. They'll offer to let you try theirs. When you find one you like, order one. But be prepared to spend some serious money. Just as you can't compete in the Indy 500 in a Honda...you get the picture.

If it turns out that you're not good enough for formal target shooting, and most people aren't, get whatever you enjoy shooting and have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,712,096 times
I also want to add that if you find a gun you like but the trigger pull is too hard for you, you can have a gunsmith adjust the trigger pull to make it lighter.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
If you like revolvers, and want a good plinker, older Colts are "scaled" all over to the size of the cartridge. I have an old Colt New Police in .32 S&W (or .32 Colt New Police if you prefer) and both the revolver and cartridge look just like 2/3 scale models of similar .38 Special revolvers of the same vintage. The .32 S&W is a real honey of a cartridge and if you handload it's quite cheap to shoot. A shooting girlfriend of mine some years ago who was actually a security guard at a nuke plant where I worked tried this little Colt out, and she *really* liked it - it actually fit her hand very well, unlike the service revolvers they used on duty at the time - she could shoot the service revolver well enough to qualify, but even with the smallest grip they offered (and I'll give credit for offering different grips to accomodate different size hands - one would not expect all his troops to wear the same size boot, why would they want the same size handle on their revolver?) the grip was larger than optimal for her small hands.

If you can scare up a Ruger Bearcat at a gun show (or are they making them again? I got mine, so have not been paying attention). This is a single action .22 rimfire, it's a great plinker and could be used for self-defense in a pinch, although even an automatic .22 rimfire would be much better tactically. Or maybe as a devout Cooperite I should say less bad. Either one is better than an ice pick anyway.

If you are looking for a serious, defensive revolver or pistol I think better choices have already been proposed.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 02-20-2009 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: complete the sentence.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:26 PM

350 posts, read 991,997 times
I don't know all that much about guns, but I just wanted to say congratulations on your new hobby...fun & self protection. I can shoot, and I surprise myself at what a good aim I am because I don't do it often. It is something I'm proud of. Enjoy!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:37 PM

51,054 posts, read 29,137,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just took a basic NRA pistol class, and I'm so excited to take up target shooting as my new hobby!

I want to buy a handgun (or two!), but I have small hands and they aren't very strong. I did really well with the .22 semi-automatic and the 9mm Glock, but had trouble with the big, heavy .38 special revolver. It was so hard to pull the trigger. I still hit the target, but my hand hurt afterward.

Can anyone recommend great "girl-friendly" handguns I might look into? I want to buy a light-weight small revolver and a semi-automatic. I was wondering if revolvers are all so heavy, or are some lighter and easier to pull the trigger?

I'd like to keep them each around $400 or below.

I hear I can try out several different kinds at the local ranges on a rental basis, but don't know which are good to start with.

Any advice?
Everyone's definition of "Girl-Friendly" varies, but a Glock or Smith & Wesson in the .380 semi-automatic will not require as much effort as a revolver does.

Keep in mind also that you can train your shooting hand to gain strength in pulling the trigger using a double action revolver, like a Smith & Wesson in a .38 Special/.357 Magnum caliber.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:02 AM

570 posts, read 1,364,176 times
Default Is this True?? Anyone know?

Now all Guns' must be listed on your next (2010) tax return!

As if we didn't have enough to get upset about! If you have a gun, I hope it isn't registered!

Senate Bill SB-2099 will require us to put on our 2009 1040 federal tax form all guns that you have or own. It will require fingerprints and a tax of $50 per gun.

This bill was introduced on Feb.. 24, 2009, by the Obama staff. BUT . ...this bill will only become public knowledge 30 days after the new law becomes effective ! This is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act o f
1986. This means that the Finance Committee has passed this without the Senate voting on it at all. Trust Obama ? ..... you must be kidding !

The full text of the IRS amendment is on the U.S. Senate homepage, U.S.Senate U.S. Senate you can find the bill by doing a search by the bill number, SB-2099. You know who to call; I strongly suggest you do. Please send a copy of this e-mail to every gun owner you know.|

Text of H.R.45 as Introduced in House: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - U.S. .... OpenCongress
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text%3E (broken link)
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/text%3E (broken link)
Text of H.R.45 as Introduced in House: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - U.S.... OpenCongress |

Obama's Congress is now starting on the firearms confiscation bill. If it passes, gun owners will become criminals if you don't fully comply.

It has begun . . . Whatever Obama's secret Master Plan is....this is just the 'tip of the iceburg!'

Very Important for you to be aware of a new bill HR 45 introduced into the House. This is the Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sale Ac t of 2009.

Even gun shop owners didn't know about this because the government is trying to fly it under the radar as a 'minor' IRS revision, and, as usuual, the political' lawmakers did not read this bill befre signing and approving it!

To find out about this - go to any government website and type in HR 45 or Google HR 45 Blair Holt Firearm Licensing & Record of Sales Act of 2009. You will get all the information.

Basically this would make it illegal to own a firearm - any rifle with a clip or ANY pistol unless:

It is registered -You are fingerprinted -You supply a current Driver's License -You supply your Social Security # -You will submit to a physical & mental evaluation at any time of their choosing -Each update - change or
ownership through private or public sale must be reported and costs $25 - Failure to do so you automatically lose the right to own a firearm and are subject up to a year in jail. -There is a child provision clause on page 16
section 305 stating a child-access provision. Gun must be locked and inaccessible to any child under 18. -They would have the right to come and inspect that you are storing your gun safely away from accessibility to
children and fine is punishable for up to 5 yrs. in prison.

If you think this is a joke - go to the website and take your pick of many opt ions to read this. It is long and lengthy. But, more and more people are becoming aware of this. Pass the word along. Any hunters in your family pass this along.|

This is just a "termite" approach to complete confiscation of guns and disarming of our society to the point we have no defense - chip away a little here and there until the goal is accomplished before anyone realizes
it.

This is one to act on whether you own a gun or not..

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

H.R.45: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 -
U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/show%3E (broken link)
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h45/show%3E (broken link)
H.R.45: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress

H.R. 45: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009
(GovTrack.us GovTrack.us: Tracking the U.S. Congress )

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45%3E (broken link)
H.R. 45: Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009 (GovTrack.us)

Please.. copy and send this out to EVERYONE in the USA , whether you support the Right to Bear Arms or are for gun control. We all should have the right to choose.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM

3,949 posts, read 3,854,688 times
H.R. 45 doesn't have a single co-sponser. It was dead the second it was made public. Bobby Rush is well known for introducing gun legislation and none of it even makes it to the floor for a vote. He can go back to his district and run on a 'tough on guns' platform. Yes, we still need to be vigilant but not about this bill.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Glad to hear not everybody in the House is brain dead.

OP - I have a couple of suggestions. First find a revolver or semi auto you can comfortably carry, hold, aim and shoot. For example my lady, as a very small and, like me, not so young anymore, woman actually preferred a full size .45 Colt pistol to the same gun in .380. The bigger gun had less perceived recoil and was, to her, more comfortable to shoot. See if you can fire a full size .45. Try a number of guns before settling on any single weapon.

For self defense gun I suggest any of the derivatives of the Walther PPK in .32 or 9mm. This is the grand daddy of the DA/SA pistols. It is very easy to carry concealed and does the job at close ranges. As the man said, if you cannot stop an assault with 5 or 7 rounds, you need the rest of your squad to back you up.

For a target pistol I recommend a Colt Woodsman or, even better IMHO, a Rugar #1 pistol with a heavy barrel in .22 rimfire. These are surprisingly accurate and fairly cheap to feed. You might also want to get a pistol similar in design and shape to your carry gun so you can afford enough ammo to practice without getting into hand loading ammunition. That is a hobby unto itself.

Third and most important I suggest joining the IRA and finding a qualified handgun instructor who can teach you how to shoot quickly and accurately and what you need to know about the laws concerning owning, keeping and carrying a gun. Owning a firearm is a fundamental right of being a human and, fortunately a citizen of this country. Please be careful with your gun(s) and try not to abuse this right.

PS - The Walther is NOT a "chick gun".

Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM

818 posts, read 1,887,735 times
I suggest not joining the IRA unless you're Irish and can shoot really well.

Last edited by Be Free; 09-28-2009 at 08:15 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
A nice little plinker/training pistol is the Walther P22. I have one that I use for rodent control, it's accurate, 10 shot capacity, Double Action, compact and downright FUN. It has a laser on it ((the only one on any gun I have) and it's a blast to track various rondentia around the barn at night with. My Mag light and my P22 have slain many rats, feral cats and other pests, and rolled many a tin can out to the 50 yard stick on play days. It's not what I would call a serious defensive pistol, but it would do in a pinch, and is cheap to shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting