U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,596,860 times

Advertisements

The price of owning a weapon is really freedom. Noting all weapons on our 2010 IRS forms is untrue. How many of us can really say our Congress would support such a terrible so called bill.

Anyway, I own a lot of weapons and I do it as a collector and because I believe in the 2nd Ammendment. I do have 4 guns that are 9mm and love every one of them.
For protection I usually carry a Kahr 9mm. I just picked up a Taurus 9mm model 709 that is a slimline. Great weapon to carry too.

There are 4 of us where I live that are wounded Vietnam Vets. We shoot our weapons at our local firing range. Last week each of us went through 100 rounds of 9mm and I went through 100 rounds of 38 Specials for my 357 Ruger SP101..In addition to 200 rounds of 223 for each of our Bushmasters.....We go to the West Palm Beach Gun and Knife show to get our reloads that are guaranteed by the seller. I guess we are lucky because the reloads have never failed us as a miss and we had to purchase more than 8,000 rounds of his ammo.

FUnny thing happened to us. A woman and a guy was next to me. The lady, we later discoverd, never fired a weapon was firing a 380. She was firing at my target at 50 yards. I didn't have a scope to see how many hits until the zone was cold. I walked down and looked to find out that I had more holes all over the target than I totally fired. It was funny becuse the guys thought I was all over the target and the woman was close to the bullseye but we will never know the full story... We have a lot of fun....

Last edited by Synergy1; 09-28-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just took a basic NRA pistol class, and I'm so excited to take up target shooting as my new hobby!

I want to buy a handgun (or two!), but I have small hands and they aren't very strong. I did really well with the .22 semi-automatic and the 9mm Glock, but had trouble with the big, heavy .38 special revolver. It was so hard to pull the trigger. I still hit the target, but my hand hurt afterward.

Can anyone recommend great "girl-friendly" handguns I might look into? I want to buy a light-weight small revolver and a semi-automatic. I was wondering if revolvers are all so heavy, or are some lighter and easier to pull the trigger?

I'd like to keep them each around $400 or below.

I hear I can try out several different kinds at the local ranges on a rental basis, but don't know which are good to start with.

Any advice?
My advice is skip the firearms and move to ADULT air guns for target shooting. A ton of fun for not much money for ammo. A "chick pistol" will only get you killed or hurt.

Beeman Precision Airguns

Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 PM

13,807 posts, read 25,846,151 times
My chick (wife) loves the SIG Mosquito (.22LR) I just got, but that obviously isn't for home defense. She's not a fan of my XDm .40 and I'm using that to talk her into getting another gun/toy for me
So far she likes the Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro and a Springfield 1911 the most. The 1911 is a wee bit out of my price range, so I'm probably going to lean towards the 111 or maybe a SIG 2022 or CZ 75 compact. I also like Glock's, but my wife didn't care much for it.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:45 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
OK, I meant NRA not IRA. Good catch.

PS- I have a very accurate air pistol that is great for practicing gun control.

Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM

51,058 posts, read 29,141,449 times
TracySam - A good double-action Smith & Wesson snub-nose (short-barrelled) .357 magnum would be ideal for a revolver because you can also shoot .38 special +P ammo in it, which has a lot less recoil than the .357 magnum round. The trigger pull maybe heavy, but you can get used to it, you can also shoot it in single-action mode, you just have to manually pull the hammer back, and the trigger will be much easier to pull.

As for semi-automatics, any .380 or 9mm, or even the .40 S&W calibers will work. I know Ruger makes the P89 9mm, which is an excellent weapon for the money.

Also, stay away from any semi-autos in the .25 ACP, the caliber just doesn't have enough knock-down power in critical self-defense situations.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:22 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,005,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
TracySam - A good double-action Smith & Wesson snub-nose (short-barrelled) .357 magnum would be ideal for a revolver because you can also shoot .38 special +P ammo in it, which has a lot less recoil than the .357 magnum round. The trigger pull maybe heavy, but you can get used to it, you can also shoot it in single-action mode, you just have to manually pull the hammer back, and the trigger will be much easier to pull.

As for semi-automatics, any .380 or 9mm, or even the .40 S&W calibers will work. I know Ruger makes the P89 9mm, which is an excellent weapon for the money.

Also, stay away from any semi-autos in the .25 ACP, the caliber just doesn't have enough knock-down power in critical self-defense situations.

Good luck.
Oh brother. These are NOT chick guns in anybodies book!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:56 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,028,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh brother. These are NOT chick guns in anybodies book!
What the heck's a chick gun? A less-serious weapon? Sounds like (and is) nothing more than a marketing ploy. Those previous suggestions sounded right on the money to me.

I am a woman and have small hands like a lot of women. I learned to shoot with a .357. My hands ached terribly, I got those bleeding-type blisters, my forearm was sore....so what? I had to build up strength in my wrists, fingers and hands. Learning to handle and shoot proficiently with a gun like that made shooting with anything else a lot easier.

If one is looking for a "girl-friendly" gun specifically, they should stick with an air pistol like you said before.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,724,996 times
I think a "chick gun" is one that has a small enough grip to work with typical female hands. Typically it might also include at least the possibility of firing some sort of reduced-recoil ammo, like 38 special in a .357, although most ladies can learn to manage normal "fighting" rounds anyway, in a pistol or revolver of more or less normal size. Your reaction to recoil is mostly mental, and you, Felina, seem to have the right attitude. Not every gal is as gung-ho as you though.

It can include the concept like some Berettas that have a tip-up barrel, allowing loading (or unloading) the chamber without racking the slide.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:58 AM

4,628 posts, read 9,028,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not every gal is as gung-ho as you though.

It can include the concept like some Berettas that have a tip-up barrel, allowing loading (or unloading) the chamber without racking the slide.
Yup, that's why they call me "Lightening Annie Oakley"
What's a tip-up barrel? Never heard of it.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:31 PM

9,209 posts, read 18,049,326 times
Default I'm the OP

What I meant by "chick gun" is something smaller, easier to handle with small hands, easy to carry concealed, and a trigger that is not overly difficult to pull. I had muscle spasms from the trigger on the .38 revolver at the range.

As much as I could ever try to exercise my hands, I'll never be able to comfortably hold and fire some of the heavier pistols I've tried.

I certainly didn't mean an air gun. And I didn't mean a "less serious" weapon. If someone tries to attack me or break into my home, I want to protect myself. I don't want a toy gun or something pink. "Chick" doesn't imply less tough.

I've been looking into some of the pistols marketed specifically toward women that have the characteristics that meet my needs, but it wouldn't have to necessarily be one of those.

Thanks all for all of your ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting