U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,077,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
What I meant by "chick gun" is something smaller, easier to handle with small hands, easy to carry concealed, and a trigger that is not overly difficult to pull. I had muscle spasms from the trigger on the .38 revolver at the range.
Get off of here, find a really good gun store/gun range. Find a sales person that you are comfortable with, talk about what you want to do; handle a lot of different weapons; fire as many as you can; then make a purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,356,707 times
Well I am no gun nerd but I know what like:

PX4 Storm Beretta :: Pistola semiautomatica

Its only a few hundred over that 400$ range. I can't wait to get my own. Its on my wish list after I pay off some debt.

To make your hands/arms stronger for shooting pick yourself up a "gripmaster" Its for guitar strength but does the same thing. :

Amazon.com: Gripmaster Hand Exerciser Red, Medium Tension (7-Pounds per Finger): Sports & Outdoors

Start low and work your way up (the yellow one)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM

570 posts, read 1,365,144 times
One of my guns that I like to carry is a Kal Tec 9mm, It tucks away nice and almost disappears. Does anyone have a KEL Tec? How do you like it?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,021,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
What the heck's a chick gun? A less-serious weapon? Sounds like (and is) nothing more than a marketing ploy. Those previous suggestions sounded right on the money to me.

I am a woman and have small hands like a lot of women. I learned to shoot with a .357. My hands ached terribly, I got those bleeding-type blisters, my forearm was sore....so what? I had to build up strength in my wrists, fingers and hands. Learning to handle and shoot proficiently with a gun like that made shooting with anything else a lot easier.

If one is looking for a "girl-friendly" gun specifically, they should stick with an air pistol like you said before.
Since the OP asked for a gun to target practice with to enjoy the sport and build up her accuracy the ADULT air pistol is the perfect tool to do that with
unless she had to much testosterone like a lot of gun owners that shoot big bore.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:42 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
Yup, that's why they call me "Lightening Annie Oakley"
What's a tip-up barrel? Never heard of it.
Beretta 950 Jetfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The barrel can be unlatched and swings up under spring pressure, Beretta has built everything from .22 short to .380 ACP pistols with this system.

One point in favor of it is you can load/unload without 'racking' the slide.

I have a "Minx" model, built in 1954, mine has the longer approx. 3" barrel, a "Buntline Minx" in my own parlance. It is amazingly accurate if you concentrate on the small fixed sights. No bull - very first shot I fired from it, witnessed, on a regulation 50 yard (yes, yards, not feet) I hit a bowling pin. I can't do this every time, but probably 4 out of 5.

The Minx looks a lot like the .25 ACP Jetfire illustrated.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 PM

302 posts, read 756,210 times
I use a Springfield XD 9MM. I love the 2 safety features, and for a newbie like me, it works great to take it to the range and hit some targets. It may take a little more strength to use it the first couple times, but I would rather get something that I can grow into than get something that is extremely easy right out of the starting gate.

Keep in mind....finding certain kinds of ammo is difficult right now. At least at the store I work at, we sell out of our .380 in about 2 hours.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
Smith and Wesson has been offering some "LadySmith" revolvers and maybe some autos as well for a few years. They have a really good .22 revolver, a 9-shot, the trigger pull is quite stiff as it comes out of the box but a good gunsmith can improve it for you.

You girls enjoy your shooting, it's a good hobby that can come in quite useful from time to time.

It's just a fact of life that most handguns are sized to fit the hands of men, because men buy most handguns. There are a few specific models that are sized to fit women's hands, and in some cases you can put thinner custom grips on some models.

Final point - if you have the choice between a 2-column magazine (most 14, 16 round 9mm) or a single column (usually 10, 12, or less rounds) the single column pistol will be thinner in the grip, easier for small hands to deal with.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,213,498 times
Glock on the department and mini glock off duty. I want a gun that is going to work target shooting or otherwise.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,213,498 times
Also carry a Smith and Wesson 5 shot 38 that I like as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 PM

51,076 posts, read 29,158,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Oh brother. These are NOT chick guns in anybodies book!
LOL.. sure they are, get one with pink grips, and a pink holster and she'll be all set!

Any woman can be trained, or she can train herself to shoot any revolver or a semi-automatic handgun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting