U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,362,012 times

Advertisements

First of all, congratulations on getting into the shooting sports and welcome.
I agree with others about the Glock 9MM. Whichever model feels good in your hands, that's the one to get.
As for a revolver, there are a few light weight ones to choose from. Here's a couple of links:
Rugerís Radical New Lightweight Compact Revolver .38 Special LCR
Smith & Wesson 342PD Titanium Centennial .38 Special +P

I think more than the actual weight of the gun, the trigger pull may be more of a problem for you. As others have mentioned a gunsmith can correct this for you without a large expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,209,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. sure they are, get one with pink grips, and a pink holster and she'll be all set!

Any woman can be trained, or she can train herself to shoot any revolver or a semi-automatic handgun.

LOL, you are right! LOL, some chicks can really shoot. Trained and qualified with both hands, so basically can handle any weapon.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:45 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,218,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
One of my guns that I like to carry is a Kal Tec 9mm, It tucks away nice and almost disappears. Does anyone have a KEL Tec? How do you like it?
What's the difference between the "Kal Tec" and the "KEL Tec?"

Old 10-01-2009, 11:30 PM

3,710 posts, read 6,717,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
H.R. 45 doesn't have a single co-sponser. It was dead the second it was made public. Bobby Rush is well known for introducing gun legislation and none of it even makes it to the floor for a vote. He can go back to his district and run on a 'tough on guns' platform. Yes, we still need to be vigilant but not about this bill.
Bobby Rush, piece of work. He had no problem using guns and being a thug--still is--but wants to use his power to restrict the honest citizen. That's what tyrants do.
Congress is one big mess.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:18 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,596,860 times
I go to the range often and more than once there was a person using a 9mm KEL TECH that misfired. I do not like to see that in any weapon but the KEL TECH seems to have a unreliability factor that other 9mms of the same size do not have. I always buy from a group of friends or prefer to from a group of us shooters but still like a new weapon most of all.

KAHR 9mm with stainless slide is my favorite and never had a misfire. I also like the Taurus 709 Slimline and just picked up one. The Taurus 9mm 709 is very good but the KAHR received better favorable reviews than most slim 9mm. Taurus 709 is so new that I have not seen a review as of yet but I am sure the 709 Slimline will get reviewed soon..

Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 AM

570 posts, read 1,364,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
What's the difference between the "Kal Tec" and the "KEL Tec?"
I don't know, You tell me?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 AM

13,807 posts, read 25,846,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
What the heck's a chick gun? A less-serious weapon? Sounds like (and is) nothing more than a marketing ploy. Those previous suggestions sounded right on the money to me.

I am a woman and have small hands like a lot of women. I learned to shoot with a .357. My hands ached terribly, I got those bleeding-type blisters, my forearm was sore....so what? I had to build up strength in my wrists, fingers and hands. Learning to handle and shoot proficiently with a gun like that made shooting with anything else a lot easier.

If one is looking for a "girl-friendly" gun specifically, they should stick with an air pistol like you said before.
good post! a gun is a gun is a gun. Guys like some and women like some, sometimes they like the same thing and sometimes they don't. My wife originally wanted a little one because she equated it with less recoil and less blood and guts if you had to use it. She shot a little .380 (less than 3" barrel) and hated it.
Now that she has shot quite a bit, she's comfortable with almost anything and getting very accurate. That's all that really matters.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,596,860 times
As far as the name of Kel-tec goes, or Kal tec is concerned, I am only familiar with the reviews of Kel-tec.....

I too use a Ruger SP101 and fire 38 specials.... The Vietnam Vets and I do not ned to be knocked on our cans or go away with bleeding hands to understand that a 357 or 38 special has adequate stopping power.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:19 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,218,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
I don't know, You tell me?
I've never heard of Kal Tec.
Kel-Tec is a manufacturer of firearms in Florida. They make several pistols, as well as the SU (SU 16, SU 22) and Sub 2000 series rifles.

Kel Tec

Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 PM

72 posts, read 206,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I just took a basic NRA pistol class, and I'm so excited to take up target shooting as my new hobby!

I want to buy a handgun (or two!), but I have small hands and they aren't very strong. I did really well with the .22 semi-automatic and the 9mm Glock, but had trouble with the big, heavy .38 special revolver. It was so hard to pull the trigger. I still hit the target, but my hand hurt afterward.

Can anyone recommend great "girl-friendly" handguns I might look into? I want to buy a light-weight small revolver and a semi-automatic. I was wondering if revolvers are all so heavy, or are some lighter and easier to pull the trigger?

I'd like to keep them each around $400 or below.

I hear I can try out several different kinds at the local ranges on a rental basis, but don't know which are good to start with.

Any advice?
I recall an old episode of Get Smart starring Don Adams years ago. Maxwell Smart walked into a room with three bad guys in it. One was on his far left, the other on his far right and the third straight ahead. That did not faze him. There was a brief pause and then Agent Smart pulled out a handgun with three barrels 90 degrees apart from each other. He held it out, aimed and fired and got all three.
That is the kinda gun I suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting