U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,090,581 times

Advertisements

How do you go about getting a hand gun just to have for self defense in the state of Arizona? What are all the steps required/needed in order to do so?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 11:57 AM

9,228 posts, read 18,884,895 times
Not from AZ, but have a link for the NRA website (they have the gun laws on every state). NRA-ILA :: (http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/ - broken link)

Here's Arizona:
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/AZSL.pdf (broken link)

Although you can buy a gun without taking a lesson, I really recommend taking an NRA basic safety class. I went to one that was three nights, and you learn how guns work, how to clean and care for them, basic gun safety and etiquette, and you also learn the basics of shooting.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:18 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,495,794 times
I think in AZ you just go buy it. They'll run your name thru NICS & unless your a menace to society you can take it home.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:03 AM

2,059 posts, read 3,715,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
How do you go about getting a hand gun just to have for self defense in the state of Arizona? What are all the steps required/needed in order to do so?

Thanks.
the easy way would to go to a gun store and ask some questions.they may even set you up with a fire arms safety course.witch is always a good idea.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:43 AM

15,202 posts, read 18,226,040 times
As others have said, if you're not already familiar with firearms then you should take some sort of safety class before buying one. Many gun stores offer these classes for free.

Once you have some basic training under your belt, talk to the gun store folks and have them help you choose the right gun to cut your teeth on. Guns aren't a one-size-fits-all product, and your preferences and needs will be different than the guy standing next to you. If possible, rent some guns at a range to try different models, and take notes on which models and calibers you did and didn't like, and why.

When you've decided on a gun, buy it and a cleaning kit and take them home. Don't buy any ammo yet. Read the manual and get familiar with disassembling, cleaning and oiling it. Since it's for self defense, you need to keep it in peak operating condition - you can't trust your life to a dirty or damaged gun.

Once you're comfortable with maintaining your gun, take it to the range, buy a couple boxes of range ammo and some targets and practice. Then practice some more. Finally, practice some more. Then buy a box of defense ammo (the storekeepers will help you decide which is best for your gun and preferences), take everything home, clean your gun and consider - ask yourself if you could really pull the trigger and take another person's life, even if it were required to save your own. Many can't, and if you're not sure you can do it, you're probably better off using something less than lethal with which you won't hesitate.

Oops.. I kind of rambled - it's late... Anyway, just take the process slow, and thoughtfully consider the implications. I'm all for anyone exercising their 2nd Amendment rights if they choose to - a quick browse of the "politics" forum here will demonstrate that - but first time buyers often don't realize the responsibility that comes with that right, particularly if the purpose is defense/protection, where using it for the purpose it was purchased for means potentially ending a person's life.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:37 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,432,566 times
Before you buy, give it a try.
If you have friends that shoot, ask them if they would be willing to take you shooting sometime. Offer to pay for the ammo. Almost anyone that I know that likes shooting would gladly say yes.

If you don't have any friends that like to shoot, you probably don't know your friends very well. I'd bet if you ask around, you will find several that do. Even so, if you don't, just go to a range that rents guns, and ask about a basic handgun course. Many offer courses, or will at least teach you the basics. Once you understand the fundamentals of gun safety and usage, try out several different models.

Once you have tried out several different models and styles of guns, you will be much more informed about what meets your preferences. Go to a few gun shops and ask some questions. Handle a lot of guns before you make your decision. I would recommend that when you purchase a gun, you buy from someone local to you. That keeps your hard earned money in your own community, and it helps support the guy that will be there when you need him to be, as long as others practice this same philosophy. My local gun shop is a little more expensive than some others I know of, but he is in my neighborhood. The others are about 40 miles away, meaning I would need to drive 80 miles round-trip to get there. In California, we have a ten day waiting period, which means I would have to make two trips to complete the purchase (one for the paperwork, and the other to pick up the gun). The difference with the cost of gas is negligible, so I just buy locally.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:49 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,241,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
,,,,,In California, we have a ten day waiting period, ,,,,
We used to have a much longer wait period, the federal waiting period shortened ours.
All states have a wait period, but not necessarily on used firearms. NV and AZ do not have wait periods on used firearms that I am aware of.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:14 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,495,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We used to have a much longer wait period, the federal waiting period shortened ours.
All states have a wait period, but not necessarily on used firearms. NV and AZ do not have wait periods on used firearms that I am aware of.
Thats not remotely true. I buy guns & walk out with them immediately all the time. CT has a 14 day wait unless you have a permit to carry or hunting license. Brady used to have a 5 day wait before they got NICS up & running.
That was a scam too, the 5 day ait was only for handguns but once nics was up & running ALL transfers, long guns & pistols get run thru that are bought from dealers.
I think some states dont bother with NICS for people with permits.

Person to person doesn't require NICS but buying a used gun from a FFL is the same as buying a new one in every state I'v bought or sold guns in.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:46 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,108,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My wait period is Texas is about 30 minutes - which is the time it takes to process the paperwork, run the BG check, pay for the gun and take it to my car.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,455,726 times
Absolutely, try it out before you buy it. I went through nearly every revolver in the store before I found one that felt good in my hand.

And absolutely take lessons on how to handle, clean and care for a gun AND how to shoot one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting