Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times

Advertisements

I agree Gbear. I don't have any on my weapons either. but for another reason also. With the glow I figure I would be a moving target for someone hiding. I have practiced so long with my flashlight in one hand it is second nature. Hopefully if needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:31 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
My new SW 25-5 has a Dayglow front insert. It's not a 'night sight' but it sure shows up in the sun. I'm not to sure about it yet. I'm so used to black sights that it is kinda distracting when I go to align my sights. It's cool, as it really shows up against the target background and almost looks like a projected dot. I'll keep it for a spell and see. I never liked the Tritium and such sights, and lasers I always viewed as more of a novelty than a serious tool. They don't stack up to a good old fashioned set of good adjustable iron sights. The latter has worked for a long time and is still going strong, so I'll stick to what I know works. Hard to argue with success.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Mine eyes have seen the glory... of better times. At 62, and slightly diabetic, my eyesight is not what it used to be when I competed on the rifle range. Ahhh, the good old days, eh?

Anyhow, I had ParaOrdnance fit my compact .45 LDA with their proprietary tritium sights about 4 yrs ago, and for all intents and purposes I find them useless. Of course they might offer some slight advantage if you have lots of time, but you still have to align the gun with your shooting eye, squint about a bit and (bang bang..) oh, too late; he fired at you and you had to run for your life back into your room to re-assess....

One thing; the glowing tritium sights allow me to see the gun easily in my nightstand drawer. So maybe they're not entirely a waste....

Check out the DVD available from Crimson Trace. On my J-Frame they will be spectacular, even though I'm a lefty (all the best people are...)

Meanwhile, I've started selling the new SIG laser / LED flashlight strobe. It's spectacularly small, and the laser is near-co-axial with the tiny ultra-bright LED reflector head. It fits standard rail mounts such as on my new SA XD(M) in 9mm. Has both a constant-on LED or an irregular strobe, either click-on-click-off, or momentary on, these functions being easily actuated by the end of your pointer finger, completely ambidextrous. Everyone whose bought them thinks they are great, small, SIG-reliable, etc.

Also, the red laser (I would have preferred green) is the cat's meow. You do not have to aim the gun, just place the dot where, more or less, you want the bullet to hit. Be aware though, that the impact point is only accurate for one range; at others it deflects quickly due to the degree of off-axis mounting of the laser (about 1.2" or so).

But think of it; you can now shoot around corners (well, you know what I mean; I haven't altered the laws of physics. Yet.) by holding your weapon down to the side, away from your face, etc., and looking, say, over the top of your Steinway Grand Piano at Tyrone & Mutt-Head as they enter your living room.

Hard to ague with that! Also, practice practice practice. Then go out and practice for a bit. Dry-firing or even saying "bang bang" is good to work through scenarios before you have to deal with the real one. Heaven help us all from that.

Oh PS, that new Leupold modular flashlight, on high power, will totally blind someone, esp. if their eyes were night-adjusted, for a good 5 minutes while you correct their thinking with a baseball batt or heavy flyswatter or whatever. Quite the unit! Uber-bright lights are quite effective, and you won't likely, as someone else mentioned, shoot the wrong person.

Last edited by rifleman; 05-18-2009 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: typozzoz

Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
Heavy flyswatter.

That Leupold is nice but it costs almost as much as my gun did (old Security-Six). Maybe I could just fire a warning shot into the air first. Then the perp (and I) will be deaf and blinded for a while. Should bring a quick end to the fight.

(I really need to get a different gun)

Old 05-18-2009, 01:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Heavy flyswatter.

That Leupold is nice but it costs almost as much as my gun did (old Security-Six). Maybe I could just fire a warning shot into the air first. Then the perp (and I) will be deaf and blinded for a while. Should bring a quick end to the fight.

(I really need to get a different gun)
A bit of an unsolicited recommendation for a replacement weapon to go with your Leupold...

I played around with a variety of 9mm's, .40's, 1911 clones, revolvers, etc. etc. until I got a Glock 21. I think its the last handgun I'll ever own.

Still relatively cheap, too. The only drawback is the size of the grip. If you have smaller hands the gun may be uncomfortable to shoot.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I read one choice piece of advise in a gun magazine.
Always use factory loads for home defense or with concealed carry.
A good lawyer can make a case that reloads were loaded to kill.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:19 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I read one choice piece of advise in a gun magazine.
Always use factory loads for home defense or with concealed carry.
A good lawyer can make a case that reloads were loaded to kill.
Let me guess... Massachussetts?

I keep .45 ACP +P HST's for my home clips. They certainly weren't loaded to offend.

Realistically, those days are mostly over. States that have adopted the Castle Doctrine have eliminated "intruder's rights" to a large extent, if not completely. One bit of language that (I believe) is common in any state Castle Doctrine is that a homeowner/defender who is acquitted or no-billed for a shooting in the criminal courts can not be brought to trial in civil court. Anyway, I would much rather ensure that the intruder couldn't take the stand to lie.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 PM

820 posts, read 1,202,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
What do you guys think of night sights for pistols and shotguns? I've had Trijicon sights installed on my Glock for a while now, but I've never practiced low-light shooting until recently. Having done it, I can say this: I'm much more comfortable and effective shooting one-handed while holding my flashlight FBI style than I am with the night sights.
... (Snip for brevity)......

I thought about installing some tritium ghost rings on my home defense shotgun (mossberg 590), but I'm ambivalent.
A tritium front bead ( along with a light) is a good thing on a shotgun , IMO.

There are a couple of other ways to use a light with a handgun as well..

Old 05-20-2009, 03:18 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Crimson trace on a XD40....Don't leave home without it!!!!!

(just have to learn to trust the thing now..... To many years of using the sights..... now it's just point and click) PRACTICE PATRICE PRACTICE!!!!!

Old 05-20-2009, 04:06 PM

817 posts, read 2,188,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

I played around with a variety of 9mm's, .40's, 1911 clones, revolvers, etc. etc. until I got a Glock 21. I think its the last handgun I'll ever own.

Still relatively cheap, too. The only drawback is the size of the grip. If you have smaller hands the gun may be uncomfortable to shoot.
I shot the range guy's .40 cal. Glock the last time I was there and the grips felt really good in my hand. I like my husband's XD45 better though. I'm a better shot with that than I am with my .357, which has a terrible trigger.

I really prefer to carry a revolver though. The only one I've tried so far that would make me give mine up is a 5 1/2" stainless Redhawk in .44 magnum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting