Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 AM

68 posts, read 265,223 times

Advertisements

SDhomesteader - I reload but don't cast bullets. Try this site for info:

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

From what I've read battery lead has some problems, older wheelweights are good. I'm not aware of any molds for casting shot for your 12 ga, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. There are slug molds - Lee makes one that some people like pretty much. Be careful with that stuff if you take up the hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 04:41 PM

415 posts, read 972,382 times
Thanks for the info, I know the shot in the Shotgun Shells would be difficult as hell to mold versus a slug but my main concern is the pewter issue LOL. Pewter is a tad bit harder than lead but still semi soft metal.

The Old Battery lead I have has been pretty much refined and filtered and all the slag and junk melted off it to pretty much pure lead again. You'd be surpised how much junk and slag floats on them ol battery plates. You get about a 75% return versus weight on the plates.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
My husband uses Winchester primers for reloading his 45's and no one has them. It's crazy. At first he couldn't get his Nosler bullets and found a small supply for reloading but can't get the primers

He went to Walmart to buy some bullets while he tries to find primers and guess what - no ammo. The guy said in 3 months they have gotten in 6 boxes.

We called a reloading place near here and there are no primers there; they have no idea when they will get them in again.
There is a gun show in Ventura, CA tomorrow. I think I'll go there and check it out. Last time I was there, I was able to find some primers and some powder, but supplies of both sold out quickly.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
There is a gun show in Ventura, CA tomorrow. I think I'll go there and check it out. Last time I was there, I was able to find some primers and some powder, but supplies of both sold out quickly.
I got to the show yesterday (6/6/09) and was able to purchase rifle powder. Pistol powders were available, too, but I didn't buy any because I don't need it at the moment. At the last show I attended, the powder was mostly available in 1 Lb. canisters. This time, it was all either 4 or 8 Lb. canisters, with no 1 Lb. canisters to be seen at all.

There were some small rifle primers available, but no large rifle primers by the time I got there around noon. I didn't really check pistol primers because I have enough on hand for the time being. All the primers that they had were going for about $35/1000, with a 5000 per item limit per customer. This was about $10 more per 1000 than the last show I attended a few months back.

The vendor that had these items is Miwall Corp. Here is a link to their gun show calendar:
Miwall Corporation 2009 Gun Show Schedule by Date (http://www.miwallcorp.com/schedule/ - broken link)

FWIW, I stopped by my local gun shop today, and they had just received some primers. I could hardly keep a straight face when they told me they wanted $75/1000!!! I guess being in a small town they think they can get this price for them. I do a fair amount of business with that shop (in order to support my neighborhood gun shop, and to help him keep his shop open), but I wouldn't ever think of paying that much for something I can get for half that price elsewhere.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
I have heard conspiracy theories about the lack of availability.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:19 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,675 times
Went to the NRA convention in Phx last month. All the suppliers there said they are cranking it out 24/7 along with ammo. Just a lot of hoarding and panic buying. I've heard the conspiracy theories too, but these guys said no one is stopping them, the demand is just really high due to all the potential legislation and all that going on.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
There are signs that this shortage of components is starting to ease a bit. My suppliers locally and in Reno and Carson are catching up. Bullets and primers are starting to reappear on the shelves. Primers are still inflated in price (twixt 35-50 bucks a thou) but at least they are there. I can live with 30 or 40 a thou but 50 is a bit high. Bullets are at the 52 for 500 mark for jacketed and 42 for hard cast (5 bucks extra for moly coat) from XTreme in Moundhouse. My biggest problem has been finding Winchester 231 and Bullseye. I'm having to switch to HP38 in my 45 ACP loads. Red Dot is plentyful though and thats my primary powder for 45 LC. 68 bucks for 4 pounds. I can live with that. Hopefully this is a sign the crunch is leveling off. The hoarders are ticking me off. I shoot a LOT and I'm feeding three guns for my son and I to compete. I would not be so ticked if folks were shooting the 40 bazillion rounds worth they carted out of the store but this sitting on it and keeping the real shooters dry is getting old.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 PM

For those near Las Vegas, there is a gun show there this coming weekend (June 13 & 14, 2009). You might have some luck picking up components there.

What NV said about the shortage easing a bit seems to be showing signs in my area, too. I've started seeing more of a variety of ammo showing up at Walmart, even though it is only trickling in. They did get some 9mm, .357 magnum, .380, .223 Rem, and .22 LR. I bought some of it for friends of mine that were looking for it, and I imagine most of the rest of it is gone by now, but at least it's showing up again.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:23 PM

141 posts, read 162,134 times
You guys are overpaying.......

This is the only place I buy powder and primers from.

Powder Valley, Inc.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:40 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCP Island View Post
You guys are overpaying.......

This is the only place I buy powder and primers from.

Powder Valley, Inc.
And to think, that was the price 6 years ago when they posted that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting