Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,395 times

Advertisements

The reciever on the 760 is solid steel. No aluminum there at all. The rifle is rated for 55,000 psi loads and has been proofed at higher pressures. Strength ought not be a problem with loads anywhere within industry pressure standards.These guns as a matter of fact are stronger actions than either the Winchester 94s or the Marlin 336 lever actions. You would have to go to a Savage 99 or the even stronger Browning BLR to find a lever gun with the strength of the Remington pump or auto. It is true that when firing high pressure loads in the 740 ,742, and subsequent rifles in that series of auto-loaders, it is a good idea to use small base dies if reloading that brass for assured ease of function on it's next go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,986,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olhippie View Post
The reciever on the 760 is solid steel. No aluminum there at all. The rifle is rated for 55,000 psi loads and has been proofed at higher pressures. Strength ought not be a problem with loads anywhere within industry pressure standards.These guns as a matter of fact are stronger actions than either the Winchester 94s or the Marlin 336 lever actions. You would have to go to a Savage 99 or the even stronger Browning BLR to find a lever gun with the strength of the Remington pump or auto. It is true that when firing high pressure loads in the 740 ,742, and subsequent rifles in that series of auto-loaders, it is a good idea to use small base dies if reloading that brass for assured ease of function on it's next go around.
At one time I had an 06 in the 760. I kept increasing my loads and pushed the limits of the weapon - I never had any problems.

Usually I load for accuracy. However; the one year I fooled around with the 157 grain Hornady hollow points out of my 35 Rem, in the 760. My accuracy went down; but stopping power and (probably) luck went up. I had the best season that I ever had. Most of the deer I encountered were within fifty yards. I forget my exact load - but I pushed the bullet well over .357 magnum velocities. It hit the sides of the deer and removed six inches of hide off the side it hit. It did not penetrate very deep. However; it is the closest to the movie round where somebody is hit and knocked off their feet. It was almost like a sledge hammer hitting the deer.

You still get your best accuracy with the .35 Rem with the .358 diameter bullets and not the .357.

By the way; I agree with your full length resizing. I did have problems when I tried neck resizing with that 760 action.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:39 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,875,449 times
Default Taken in order...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
It looks like that trigger assembly is essentially identical to the 870 shotgun. Is it?

Probably has a pull about like a factory Glock?
Yep; it has an unusual link setup. I have worked on them, but the newer ones have the now-common Remington trick of riveting up access to all the axle and lever systems. You can disassemble them though ,and if so, you can stone'n'hone and also carefully reduce some of the sear engagement. It takes time, and @ $60/h, it may not be entirely worth it. Or then again, if you are trigger sensitive, it may be worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
True, the trigger action on these is, well, bad. I would think there are at least a few gunsmiths out there that can improve the crispness anyway but I don't know of any.

On the other hand many leverguns, particularly the Winchester 92, have a pretty damn good trigger.
Yep. My Browning/Miroku '92 (Hey! It's still a true Browning or Winchester; it has the company logo to prove it!) has a great field-gun trigger! Good thing too, since working on those is a bit challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
With so much Al in the receiver they don't take the pounding well from high pressure rounds so they are truly hunting only rifles. But, I have an 11 shot reliable, semi-auto carbine in .06 that I paid less than 200 bucks for. It's for sure not a plinker but to put any game down in N America it will do it with ease.
True, but I'd still not be pushing loads into, say, the top end of some 30-06-based wildcat (like my fav 65.06 Ackley) in which I sometimes load into the high 50k ranges in my good strong Remington 700...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
At one time I had an 06 in the 760. I kept increasing my loads and pushed the limits of the weapon - I never had any problems.

Usually I load for accuracy. However; the one year I fooled around with the 157 grain Hornady hollow points out of my 35 Rem, in the 760. My accuracy went down; but stopping power and (probably) luck went up. I had the best season that I ever had. Most of the deer I encountered were within fifty yards. I forget my exact load - but I pushed the bullet well over .357 magnum velocities. It hit the sides of the deer and removed six inches of hide off the side it hit. It did not penetrate very deep. However; it is the closest to the movie round where somebody is hit and knocked off their feet. It was almost like a sledge hammer hitting the deer.

You still get your best accuracy with the .35 Rem with the .358 diameter bullets and not the .357.

By the way; I agree with your full length resizing. I did have problems when I tried neck resizing with that 760 action.
Yeah; the ability to cam the cartridge into the action for proper close-up is necessarily limited by the main recoil spring in the auto-loading rifles. And so you can really have problems with only a partial chambering, as happens with my M1A, another one you got to full-length size for.

Now, as for scopes and older eyes, the biggest advantage of any scope is not to have 14 or 25X glorification of your target, but instead to place the target and the aiming reticle/post/ point on the same easily seen focal plane.

As in, even a nice clear 1X scope with an equally nice clear reticle, would be a distinct advantage to an old codger whose ego doesn't get in the way of his or her failing eyesight! A low power scope allows real quick target acquisition, and it clarifies your target ASAP. So if you go for a low power variable, say the Leupold 1.5 - 4, or their excellent 1.75 - 6 compact, you'll never be sorry.

Fast accurate shooting, plus the ability to shoot out to 300+ yds easily, all available in the Rem 740/760 series. You won't particularly like the finer assembly qualities, but then again, you won't be paying $1200 for the rifle, sans scope, either!

Enjoy!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,236 times
I have a question for those that own or have come across any issues with the 7600 308, not collecting rounds properly out of the mag, not sure if it's a mag fault or the rifle, Any ideas?? Cheers

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM

50,068 posts, read 46,618,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_cuttler View Post
I have a question for those that own or have come across any issues with the 7600 308, not collecting rounds properly out of the mag, not sure if it's a mag fault or the rifle, Any ideas?? Cheers
my lil auto doesn't like really cold weather.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,520,881 times
Did it just start? Any particulars surrounding why it started failing to eject? (love that one) when was the last time it was cleaned?

More information might be helpful in getting you an answer. I would suspect some of the gunsmithies will be here in a day or two to give you some guidence.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,087,403 times
I have three 760's presently, two are 30-06's and the third one is a 243. Both of the 06's have 16 inch barrels and are really handy when hunting in a brushy area. I've also owned and used a 35 Remington and a 280 Remington. The 35 Remington was great for short range use in a brushy area. My wife used one of the 06's for Elk hunting and thought it handled well, all of the 760's I've owned have had scopes on them. About the only rifles I have that don't have a scope mounted are my lever action rifles. Snap shooting with a scope takes experience, so if you do mount a scope, gets lots of practice before you expect to do any hunting with it. Where I live you can use a ten shot magazine in a 760, but only a 5 shot magazine in a 740 or any of the Semi auto's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting