U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2009, 05:19 PM

1,526 posts, read 2,239,476 times
Default Experiences with Cap and Ball Revolvers made in Italy?

Anyone had much experience with them?

Some postings say "great", other's say "junk".

Many years ago I had both a CVA Navy Colt and a Jaeger (Uberi made?) 1873 Colt in .45 Long Colt. Both seemed of good quality to me. The Navy Colt eventually had spring breakage, but the 1873 seemed on par with other major manufacters.

So what have your experiences been with the Piettas, Uberti's etc. of today?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Status: "hanging up my guns...hanging on to my lady" (set 29 days ago)

6,770 posts, read 4,601,693 times
I have six of these replicas. 1CVA 3 Uberti's and and 2 Pietta's. I use them primarily for re enactment but I live shoot them as well. It does pay to have some spare parts on hand. Mainsprings and trigger/cylinder latch springs especially. They can be prone to breakage, but in all honesty I think the originals probably had these issues as well. They are brutally simple to work on and I actually like tinkering with them. I slicked them all up, did trigger work and such, de farbed them and made custom grips, I even martially stamped my CVA 61 Navy and my Pietta and Uberti 60 Army's.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Status: ""My religion is kindness." -- The Dalai Lama" (set 18 days ago)

2,884 posts, read 2,001,633 times
I have done a lot of cowboy action shooting (SASS and Western 3-Gun). I have owned and used Pietta and Uberti reproduction revolvers, both cartridge and cap-and-ball. I don't have anything bad to say about Ubertis, and nothing bad to say about Piettas made in the last 10 or so years. In addition I have nothing but praise for Uberti's reproduction 1860 Henry, 1866 Winchester and 1873 Winchester rifles.

I personally prefer Ubertis over Piettas because the Ubertis seem to fit my hands better. My primary handguns are a brace of antiqued Uberti Remington New Model Army revolvers (aka 1858 Remingtons) fitted with .45 Colt conversion cylinders and lightened main springs. I carry them butt-forward so that I may draw either pistol with either hand. I'm one of fewer than 50 cowboy shooters to do so. Anyhoo, with the Ubertis I have placed First or Second in the (Senior) Duelist category in seven regional matches.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM

11,121 posts, read 8,848,403 times
Are there any Cap and Ball reproduction revolvers that aren't made in Italy?

I have an Uberti 1860 Henry made in Italy; it functions flawlessly and the materials are solid, but the fit and finish was not so great.

I actually filed and repolished the receiver to clean up and sharpen the edges so it would be more like the origional and refinished the stock to make it match up with the receiver and not look like a piece of plastic.

I also stripped the blue and aged the barrel; the gun looks like an antique now.

This isn't the greatest pic, but there it is:

Still that was a lot of work to do on a gun that was already $900.00 to begin with. If I was going to get a cap 'n ball revolver I would get a kit so I could do the finishing and get a superior product in the end.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 PM

3,849 posts, read 2,757,948 times
Hey, Nighteyes, I sure like your knife! I do a bit of CAS also, I have some photos posted in my profile of some of our local shooters. I have three ROA with adjustable sightes and a pair of the newer SS ROA with non-adjustable sights and 5-1/2" barrels. I haven't used them for quite awhile, I also have three conversion cylinders. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of Uberti's and their ability to build really fine 66's and 73's. I use a 73 and just sold a 66. Years ago I bought an Italian cap and ball revolver and wasn't impressed, but I think the quality is better now than it was 20 years ago.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Hey, Nighteyes, I sure like your knife!
I bought it at a gun show for about $35. Pretty good steel, too, which was a pleasant surprise.

I have collected knives since my father got me started in the early 1960's. (He made knives during WWII.) When I'm shooting CAS I often carry three of 'em: one on the belt, one in each boot.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
The Navy Colt eventually had spring breakage...
If you're speaking of the trigger and/or hand spring (they're together) that's fairly common, and is an easy repair. All it takes is the new spring and a screwdriver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting