Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So you're a killer but don't approve of other killers who don't play the game the way you do?
Yea, I guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Those "fat lazy folks in hunter orange" usually do have a respect for nature. More information could lead to better understanding.
I don't mean to say ALL hunters but me fit that description, but anyone who has hunted opening season knows there are FAR too many of them. I don't do general season usually, I'll go for limited entry and muzzleloader permits. There are fewer nutbags out in the woods then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Not only that, they're a part of nature. People and everything they do are an inseperable part of nature. Including blundering about in the woods and blasting away at everything that moves.
That is true I guess. Humans are a part of this world and animals don't know when to stop either. Deer will strip a forest and all starve to death and a coyote in a chicken coop will kill every chicken just for the fun of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love to hunt too, and have done plenty of it. But my hunting is done with the purpose of getting the products the animals provide, not just for the thrill of it. I brain tan hides, keep and use the sinew for sewing and bows, use feathers for fletching, and of course eat the meat, along with myriads of other things. I feel primitive skills are important and should be kept alive, and have spent time in the backcountry where they HAVE kept me alive.

Humans are hunters, made that way by a few million years of evolution. It is in our psyche to enjoy it. But when hunting is labeled a "sport" it becomes something less than it should be. Too many people answer the urge, but do it for the wrong reasons, and worse still, don't know what to do with their prey once they've killed it. They remind me of a cat I had once when I was a kid; we kept it well fed and it was was lazy, fat and pretty much worthless for anyhing. But it would kill birds all the time in an opportunistic fashion. It would never eat what it killed though, just play with it for a while and leave it. The cat had no connection to nature, it had lost it purpose and was only a part-time cartoon of a natural hunter.

Unfortunately, that's what the modern American lifestyle does to us, and come general season, the woods are full of fat lazy folks in hunter orange who go out to kill stuff without the need or proper respect for nature. It's silly, really...
I've never brain tanned a hide or had much use for salvaged sinew, but I think I can at least understand the disdain for the "fat slob in blaze orange."

I've actually been ridiculed for plucking teal rather than breasting them and field dressing, skinning, butchering and processing my own deer rather than just kicking the carcass off of the tailgate at the game processor's shop. That really gets under my skin. The way I look at it, if you end the life you owe the work.

I would disagree that hunting should be an emotionless harvest (assuming that is what you are suggesting with the bolded portion above). I think it is undeniable that there is a thrill in taking the game, but the pride is in the due-diligence and details.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I would disagree that hunting should be an emotionless harvest (assuming that is what you are suggesting with the bolded portion above). I think it is undeniable that there is a thrill in taking the game, but the pride is in the due-diligence and details.

No, it's not emotionless. It really can't be...like I said before we are hunters by nature and therefore like to do it.

I don't believe it is healthy to hunt just for the sake of killing something and getting the rush from doing it though. The main purpose should be to get the meat, not revel in the kill.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
No, it's not emotionless. It really can't be...like I said before we are hunters by nature and therefore like to do it.

I don't believe it is healthy to hunt just for the sake of killing something and getting the rush from doing it though. The main purpose should be to get the meat, not revel in the kill.
It should be difficult for anyone to disagree with that.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
I have no problem with the hunting... I just don't get all the talk about mutts.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
I have no problem with the hunting... I just don't get all the talk about mutts.
A little background:

This thread was started in response to a post in the "Any Duck Hunters?" thread accusing those fessing up to waterfowl hunting of being "freakin' murders (sic)".

That "freakin' murders(sic)" mentality spawned the mutt rhetoric and, within that context, was not excessive or uncalled-for.*

*In my not-unbiased opinion...

Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
A little background:

This thread was started in response to a post in the "Any Duck Hunters?" thread accusing those fessing up to waterfowl hunting of being "freakin' murders (sic)".

That "freakin' murders(sic)" mentality spawned the mutt rhetoric and, within that context, was not excessive or uncalled-for.*

*In my not-unbiased opinion...
Ok. But I don't get it. What do mutts have to do with it? Is mutt a slang for something in the hunting world? I just don't know what a mixed-breed dog has to do with it, and why they are bad things. When I think of the term mutt applied to people, I think of it as a positive thing because to me it means someone from different backgrounds, and is culturally open-minded. I'm guessing that has nothing to do with this though, given the negative connotations.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:11 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,567 times
If you're going to hunt, do it with a barebow. Traditional archery rocks!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:27 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Traditional archery rocks!
No, slings rock.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Ok. But I don't get it. What do mutts have to do with it? Is mutt a slang for something in the hunting world? I just don't know what a mixed-breed dog has to do with it, and why they are bad things. When I think of the term mutt applied to people, I think of it as a positive thing because to me it means someone from different backgrounds, and is culturally open-minded. I'm guessing that has nothing to do with this though, given the negative connotations.
This is turning into a pretty unusual semantic de-evolution. So if someone called you a mutt you would feel that they were complimenting you on your open-mindedness?

MUTT

n. informal

1. A mongrel dog
2. A stupid person; a dolt.

n. slang (shortened from muttonhead)

1. an inept, ignorant or stupid person
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting