Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,891,958 times

Advertisements

There are mutts everywhere in our human society. Mutts on the interstate, mutts in the Safeway checkout line in front of you, thoughtless mutts barging in to the line when you're Christimas shopping, out in the parking lot, and online.

There certainly are mutts in the hunting fields. They have no ethics, no standards of fair chase, and no compunction to refrain from illegal poaching.

But as regards the ancient and honorable practice of going afield with a weapon system to take personal responsibility for the necessary protein you and your family need? That's been so closely linked to our evolution, both physically and culturally, that it surely takes a place as a valid and defensible activity if done ethically. There's mutts out hunting too, but that's hardly a reason to ban hunting, now is it? Le'ts just ban mutts instead!

The alternatives? Buying your meat down at the previously mentioned Safeway, letting somone else do the hard part, but also supporting what may be one of the more disgusting animal-cruelty processes in the history of man (Chicken Auschwitz, I call it). Or declaring yourself to be varying degrees of vegetarian or vegan. Oh, and then viciously criticizing hunting as barbaric and unethical, and hunters as murderers!.

Of course, a field of edible vegetation requires:

√ manmade, unnatural irrigation systems (diversion of precious aquatic resources, usually to the detriment of the salmon or other fish populations);

√ digging and pumping down of ancient aquifers, never to be replaced;

√ damming of major waterways to provide hydroelectric energy to support an entirely artificial lifestyle, including vast freezer systems full of easy food down at that Safeway store (the dam thus flooding vast prime bottomland wildlife habitat forever);

√ application of water-soluble pesticides and fertilizers that find their way back into the groundwater or downstream waterways, with grave consequences;

√ removal of all natural predators or so-called "pest species"* which used to live in harmony with the environment until Big Agriculture arrived;

(* a pest: anything that interferes wirth man's perverse manipulation of the planet's ecosystems)

√ the artificial replacement of healthy, diverse native organisms with non-native species, such as cattle or chickens or acres of distressed turkeys, or of wheat or soy or rice or bean plants, all then susceptible to agressive diseases that happen across an undefended and vast mono-culture.

√ the denial of our own ecological heritage, our own physiology, our own genetically hard-wired behavioral patterns that provide us with functional hunting instincts.

√ a denial of the physiological and health benefits of consuming pure, lean unadulterated wild animal protein and fats for which we have documented and functional enzyme and other digestive systems, evolved over the eons, to provide the most efficient and healthy sources of food for our bodies. (Not to be confused with culturally- and media-induced over-consumption of course. Separate topic. Let's not confuse the OP)

To support the unnatural side of all this, and to simultaneously and unscientifically denegrate the existence of our cultural imperatives, is, IMH and educated O, to outright deny our very social and cultural fabric, the basics of our inner being. Our heritage, as it were.

But, you may have other opinions..... let'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,247,514 times
Our species has become a bunch of hogs who dine in toughs. We don't know where it comes from or what exactly it is but we're happy to eat it.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,761,037 times
My opinion, hunting is good... IF you are hunting for the meat, not just a pair of antlers. It is pointless and disrespectful to kill something just for the thrill of killing it.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
My opinion, hunting is good... IF you are hunting for the meat, not just a pair of antlers. It is pointless and disrespectful to kill something just for the thrill of killing it.
I have run across a few hunters who do not participate in an ethical fashion or with respect and appreciation of the quarry and the outdoors; I do not hunt with people like that more than once and they are not counted among my friends. That said, I know many, many hunters with trophies on the wall but I have never met any that do not eat what they kill. In other words, there isn't necessarily a delineation between trophy hunters and people hunting for meat. The two generally (if not universally) co-exist.

My experience with people who are strongly opposed to hunting of any sort is that they are usually rank unsophistocates when it comes to the outdoors and the environment beyond the backyard fence. Maybe they go camping a few times a year, but their interaction with wildlife is generally limited to a birdfeeder or whatever they can see on a wildlife trail in a public park. They do not seem to view humans as animals or a part of nature. The intolerance of the practice seems to be borne completely out of misunderstanding and erroneous presumption. As rifleman said, it's a mutt attitude. Not all hunters do it the right way, but most do.

I love hunting of all types. The harvest is certainly the endgame, but the incidentals along the way really make the hunt worth something. Calling ducks into a decoy spread and watching them make the decision to sit down in front of you is an amazing experience. When they "cup up", lower the flaps and you hear the whistling of their wings it is truly stirring. Watching a pair of whitetail bucks fight is equally stirring, as is the cacophany of a covey of quail flushing from cover. If you have been there, you understand. It is a thrill, but not so bloodthirsty as many seem to assume.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 11-11-2009 at 08:54 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 09:32 AM

633 posts, read 1,946,556 times
Default Do You Stop at No Hunting/Trespassing Signs or Walk Past?

Just wondering the general consensus on the topic of property post signs.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new jersey mike View Post
Just wondering the general consensus on the topic of property post signs.
In Texas, ignoring such a sign is an excellent way to get shot.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,700,126 times
I don't care if someone hunts just for the kill, the animal's just as dead regardless of the hunter's motives. Some people are just driven to hunt and a good thing too.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:27 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,247,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Calling ducks into a decoy spread and watching them make the decision to sit down in front of you is an amazing experience. When they "cup up", lower the flaps and you hear the whistling of their wings it is truly stirring.
I remember going with my dad duck hunting as a kid (i just went with an air rifle...hadn't graduated to shot gun ) A group of mallards came over and circled the area. You could see them all looking at it and could imagine that they were thinking that it would be a good spot to sit down. My dad and my half brother let out a call or two and got them to commit. They cupped their wings. You could hear that whistling coming off their wings....like an airplane with flaps deployed on approach. And they gracefully settled down at the outer edge of the decoys. They were ever so slightly out of acceptable range and so nobody fired. But it was just one of those deals like you say....gave me chills just seeing/hearing it happen.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:27 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Hunting is good for the soul.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:37 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Highly recommend Jose Ortega y Gassat's "Meditations on Hunting" to one and all. He's already done a much better job than I could of laying it all out. I imagine it's even better in the original Spanish...can't read that (yet)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting