Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times

Advertisements

I think you have to try shooting from both shoulders, to see if it's easier for you to use the "weak" hand or "weak" eye. I'm semi-ambidextrious and don't have a master eye (I think something like 5% of the population has no master eye). By that I mean if I look at a door knob and hold up a finger or thumb, I see 2 fingers or thumbs - if I focus on the hand, I see 2 doorknobs.

You can shoot a handgun with either hand and either eye of course.

One thing I will say is that the guns of the world are mostly set up for right handed use, so I would always encourage anyone to try shooting with the right eye off the right shoulder regardless. Give it a try anyway, if your handedness and eye dominance are strong enough it won't work, probably, although I have found when I am learning a new skill (like for example gas welding) it feels "left handed" both ways when I first try it.

Having said all that, it's worthwhile to learn to shoot weak hand/weak side for combat purposes, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,545 times
I am left handed and shoot a rifle and shotgun on my left side I am left eye dominant but shoot a pistol with my right hand any advice on how to shoot pistol better it is hard for me bc I have to look over the gun to see the sights with my left eye any tips out there to make it easier?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:31 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
I also have this same issue. I shoot rifles left handed and I hold my pistol with my right.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshats View Post
I am left handed and shoot a rifle and shotgun on my left side I am left eye dominant but shoot a pistol with my right hand any advice on how to shoot pistol better it is hard for me bc I have to look over the gun to see the sights with my left eye any tips out there to make it easier?
You have to adjust the position of you pistol not your head. So don't **** your head to the right, move the pistol to the left to square up the sites with your line of vision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting