Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times

Advertisements

Don't you hate going to a salon and asking for a particular service and you don't end up with what you asked for? My friend went to the salon and wanted a hair cut and she brought a pic of the desired style. The stylist told my friend she didn't want to cut her hair (because it's long and healthy) and to let her style it. Well my friend needed her hair done so she agreed. The style was cute but my friend still was kind of upset at the fact that the stylist didn't do what she asked.

I told her that the stylist probably wasn't skilled to give her the cut she wanted and instead of telling her that, she convinced her to let her do what she could. I've experienced this as well when I had my hair colored a while back. I showed the stylist a pic of the color I wanted and she agreed and it did not come out like I wanted at all and she knew it wasn't going too, yet she agreed to do my hair. I did like the color she did but I was still upset because it wasn't what I asked for and she should have not agreed to do my hair knowing she wouldn't be able to give me what I wanted.

I know stylists don't want to turn anyone away but it only makes things worse when you can't deliver what's expected and the client isn't happy. My friends and I now tell a stylist during the consultation that if he/she can't do what we're asking, we're not paying and they have to sign the agreement before we sit in the chair. I think if more people approached stylist in that manner, there won't be so many horror stories and money wasted. No stylist is going to want to do your hair for free so if they know you're not going to pay if you're not happy, then it forces them to have to tell you the truth instead them doing whatever they want without any consequences.

Some salons make you sign an agreement that protects them, so why not make salons/stylist sign a agreement that protects you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:45 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post

My friends and I now tell a stylist during the consultation that if he/she can't do what we're asking, we're not paying and they have to sign the agreement before we sit in the chair. I think if more people approached stylist in that manner, there won't be so many horror stories and money wasted. No stylist is going to want to do your hair for free so if they know you're not going to pay if you're not happy, then it forces them to have to tell you the truth instead them doing whatever they want without any consequences.
What's to stop a person from saying, "um, no this isn't what I wanted" and then walking out? Even if it IS what you want? If I were a stylist I'd probably tell the person sitting in my chair (regardless of my skill level) that I couldn't do their hair.

But that's just me .....

Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,975,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
What's to stop a person from saying, "um, no this isn't what I wanted" and then walking out? Even if it IS what you want? If I were a stylist I'd probably tell the person sitting in my chair (regardless of my skill level) that I couldn't do their hair.

But that's just me .....
I see your point however if a person shows you a pic then you have clear knowledge of what the client wants and is expecting and the stylist needs to be honest and say if they can/can't deliver. There's no excuse if a visual is provided that's why it's advised for clients to bring pictures to stylists to avoid a client not being happy with the results.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I see your point however if a person shows you a pic then you have clear knowledge of what the client wants and is expecting and the stylist needs to be honest and say if they can/can't deliver. There's no excuse if a visual is provided that's why it's advised for clients to bring pictures to stylists to avoid a client not being happy with the results.
I agree 100%

But if I were asked to sign an agreement - I'd very politely and professionally tell the person in my chair that I couldn't deliver, whether I could or not.

The inverse of that is, is if a salon owner/stylist made me sign an agreement stating that I wouldn't hold them accountabile - then I'd dang sure run for the door.

Again, that's just me though

Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Alot of salons now have something posted at their receptions desks stating that there are no refunds on hair services.

I know how OP feels... I recently went in for an initial consultation, I was very clear about what I wanted, I brought in 3 pictures and the colorist did 2 swatch tests on me. And we agreed on color. Then when I went in for the actual color, I reiterated to her what we had agreed on and what my goal was. She didn't say much, and I came out with exactly the opposite of what I wanted and what we discussed. I was able to go back for a "color fix" but she didn't do much differently. I wanted to ask for my money back but since the person who cuts my hair works at the same salon (and I love the way she cuts my hair)....I just called it a loss.

I don't understand how these folks graduate and get their license and then do things like this. I realize hair coloring isn't easy but that is what they are trained for and licensed for, that is the profession they chose, and have the gall to charge the money they do I've gone to some of the top salons in my city and only once have I come out with my hair color anywhere near what I liked (and unfortunately she moved out of town shortly thereafter).

It is very frustrating.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,073 times
Depends on what they are asking for also. A person with fine hair might take a picture in of a cut, but it won't work on them. (This is me...all the styles I like are on thick, course hair.....but I have learned to ask if it will work with my hair type.)

Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,635 times
Wow! I've never heard of a salon that WOULDN'T cut someone's hair. That's just too unbelievable!

Well, the first time I wanted my hair colored (first time I had ever had my hair professionally colored; this was in 1999), the haircolorist just wanted to give me highlights. I said, "Okay..." I had let my guard down too low. Since then I stood my ground and get what I want (I get all over; I don't care for highlights. If you're gonna go blonde, just freakin' go the whole 10 yards...SHeesh!!). When it's to my satifaction, I normally don't come back. That is rude when they don't give you what you really want.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
I have dark brown hair and I wanted light brown highlights just a few shades later and my hairdresser said: "I don't want to bleach your hair". So all I could ever get was red highlights. I no longer go to her as she wasn't doing what I wanted.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:15 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
The ultimate answer to this practice - whatever place it happens - is taking your business somewhere else for good.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:19 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,512 times
This is why I cut my own hair. It may not look as nice but this has happened to me almost every time that I've gone to a salon! It's ridiculous, especially when they charge so much for color and everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care