Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
To each his own.

IMHO, after a certain age, women with long hair are just plain ugly. No matter what you do, everybody knows you look good (for your age) but you are not 25 anymore. And that is perfectly fine, if you were not trying to look that way.

I think it is much more beautiful to have short, beautiful hair than ugly, artificial-looking long hair.
For example, Helen Mirren is a very beautiful woman with relatively short hair. She is very elegant and feminine and as much as she does not try to look about 30, she is much more beautiful than many Holywood people over 40 that insist on being 25 forever.
The OP asked about very short hair, though. How about Judi Dench? Dianne Wiest looks better with more hair, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Thanks, Julia, Judy Dench perfectly illustrates other example of a beautiful woman with short hair.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times

What about Jamie Lee Curtis? She radiates confidence and intelligence, but what about femininity?

When older women are done up - makeup, jewelry, well put-together outifts, etc. - they can still look feminine with short hair. But, I think younger women have an easier time still looking feminine with very short hair styles. Younger women can go out with jeans, t-shirts, and very little makeup and still look feminine while an older woman with the same cut might have to pull herself together a bit more.

Also... I think the more fit a woman is, the easier time she has pulling off a super short "do". The thicker or heavier set a woman is, the more "butch" or manly she's going to appear. A longer, thinner neck also helps. If you have a short, thick neck I probably wouldn't go for a super short hairstyle if you want to appear feminine. Big ears that stick out don't help, either.

Doesn't mean they aren't still beautiful, wonderful, confident people... they just appear less feminine.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Jamie Lee Curtis looks great. She's in terrific shape. My mom has a similar body and almost the same hair, just a little longer. My mom is older than JLC, though.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 PM

253 posts, read 794,781 times
I just got my hair cut really short and I love it. I look butch but that's what I was going for...

Old 07-24-2010, 02:34 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I was over at the local Mall the other day and I saw a very attractive woman come out of a hair salon with very short hair. She looked at herself in the mirror as she passed and did a double take. It appeared to be a drastic change for her. I looked through the glass window and saw a stylist using a broom to a huge pile of hair. It must of been the hair of the now shorn woman.

As a long haired woman myself, I had a bit of a reaction to the short haircut on the woman in the Mall. In my home town most every woman in her 20s has quite long hair. It is so ordinary. This woman is now a maverick. She will now look completely different than most of her female friends, family and coworkers who are around her age.

Because she was very pretty and thin with small features, she looked great in her new short haircut. But I assume some of the men (and women) she knows will look at her funny and whisper about her very short haircut behind her back. It was cut off her ears, shaved in the back and maybe 2 inches long.

What do you think when a friend or relative with previously long hair cuts it really short?
Well, I WAS the friend or relative who cut her hair really short. There was no shaving involved - it looked more like Winona Ryder's short hair, as pictured before.

All I can say is that everyone I came into contact with gushed over it and said it "suited me". Even after I'd grown it out again, whenever someone would see my drivers license with my short hair, they'd comment about how great it looked and that I should do it again, etc. Like you said about the girl you saw, I am petite and thin with small features. I never felt like people were whispering behind my back about it. Maybe I just lived in a different kind of place to you (I lived in the suburbs of Philly at the time) - although it was a drastic cut, I know I was not the only woman in the area to have it short so it wasn't that shocking.

I did not feel less feminine with short hair - in fact, in some ways I felt more feminine. I have a young looking face and throughout my 20s people have mistaken me for a teenager. When I was 24, I was once asked what GRADE I was in. So cutting my hair super short made me feel more mature and womanly and less girly and teenagerish because where I come from, most teenagers didn't do drastic stuff to their hair. It also showed off my neck and other petite features more, which I felt were very feminine features of mine.

That said, I've never met a guy who prefers short hair on women. I was single when I cut my hair and while I had no lack of male attention during that time so I know short hair is not a turn OFF for most men, they do usually admit they prefer it longer in my experience. It didn't really matter to me though because I didn't cut it for male attention, I did it for myself.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

That said, I've never met a guy who prefers short hair on women. I was single when I cut my hair and while I had no lack of male attention during that time so I know short hair is not a turn OFF for most men, they do usually admit they prefer it longer in my experience. It didn't really matter to me though because I didn't cut it for male attention, I did it for myself.
I think you're right, I do think men prefer longer hair. I've only met a very small number of men who actually prefer short hair on women.

I wonder why this is?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think you're right, I do think men prefer longer hair. I've only met a very small number of men who actually prefer short hair on women.

I wonder why this is?
Weird, most guys I know like short hair on the ladies. I guess long hair is just considered a "classic" look.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:41 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by email_lover View Post
I was just wondering why so few women go for a short pixie cut themselves.
I'd hope that women would wear a cut/style that suits them. But I do think that there's a very strong aversion to short hair because it's been stressed over and over again that men like long hair, not short hair, on women. Maybe women wear long hair because that's what they like, but maybe they do it because they think they have to have long hair to attract a man.

I recently went back to pixie-short, and I really like it. I feel more like myself when I have short hair. When it's long -- and by "long" I mean maybe to my shoulders; my hair doesn't really grow past that -- I feel like I'm pretending to be someone other than myself. Plus, I love how fast I can get ready when my hair is short! Bonus!!

I cut the top of my head off in this pic, but you can see that the hair is not very long. I don't think it looks masculine, and I think it suits my face.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I cut the top of my head off in this pic, but you can see that the hair is not very long. I don't think it looks masculine, and I think it suits my face.
It suits you - you are still a "girlie girl."

I like mine short, my husband prefers it longer. I have a tough time making time to get my hair cut, so we take turns being happy with my hair.

I prefer short hair - I think I look more "put together" and stay cute all day. When it's longer, it looks good in the morning. No matter how much hairspray I use - I think it looks like hell by evening. And I really hate hairspray - it makes me feel like my mom. Eeeew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care