Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 AM

812 posts, read 1,898,003 times

Advertisements

I am ready to chop it off!!!!!!!! Here is the problem- I haven't had my hair cut since October. Right now it has long layers and is about 2 inches past my shoulders.(think Natalie Morales on the Today Show minus styling!) No bangs. I usually tuck it behind my ears or have it up in a pony tail. Sometimes I will pull back the front and/or sides with a barrette.

It is fairly windy here-so unless you have it completely helmet headed it is going to blow around. (and then it sticks to my lipstick! yay nice look!)

I am a VERY lazy hair style person. I rarely blow dry. Too hot and my job doesn't require me to interact with the public (phone work). I have to wear a headset all day. It has a natural flip on the ends otherwise fairly straight, heavy but fine hair-just have TONS of it.

I have chopped it off a few times in the past couple of years but find the required maintenance ends up getting the best of me and I just let it grow back out. I like it off my neck but need something that doesn't require more than a few minutes of hand styling or minimal hair drying. I don't like those short hard spiked hairstyles that look like you will bleed it you touch it!

Simple natural easy but short...does that exist?? Any examples? I see styles that look cute but they end up being more work than I am willing to put into it! My beauty routine is quick/simple. Brush on some bare minerals, blush and lipstick. Brush hair and go....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,815,852 times
It exists. I don't have any shots of my hair, but it's razored and a little past chin length. I haven't blow-dried or straightened it in forever.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM

414 posts, read 1,005,671 times
I just chopped mine off today! It was around shoulder length and now its...well not exactly a pixie cut, because there is enough on top to tease it and elongate my face, then I have side bangs, but the back is more pixie style. I got my inspiration from Sarah Harding's hair. This may be too much prep for you. I'd check out some celebrity pics though...a lot of short wash-n-go styles are in...like Natalie Portman. You may have to use a bit of hairspray...but it just depends on how short you want it. I didn't want it that short.

I found some pics on google. Go for it...it's a totally liberating experience. I was a little nervous because I've never had my hair this short, but it was well worth it! I love it and I'll probably never go long again...there is something different about short hair...defined maybe? Not saying really long hair isn't...I had long hair in high school. It was good for my age, but I'm in my mid 20s and wanted something short and sheek. I got it!

Good luck! Just do a lot of research and tell your stylist what you want. Also make sure the style suits your faceshape. That's what I had to do. If they are good, they will be honest and tell you if it will look good and they should be able to give you a cut that works.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM

812 posts, read 1,898,003 times
Thanks ladies!!!! I need some encouragement Now the questions is do I do it BEFORE vacation or wait til I get back? It will be such a drastic change. The shortest I have had it in the last few years is just past chin length-still long enough to tuck behind my ears.

I don't mind a bit of spray or some limited product as long as it isn't stiff and crunchy. Down here in the South where I am a lot of the women have these severe short cuts that almost make them look angry! Don't want to scare my toddlers but keep some femininity and fun.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:05 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,815,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
Thanks ladies!!!! I need some encouragement Now the questions is do I do it BEFORE vacation or wait til I get back? It will be such a drastic change. The shortest I have had it in the last few years is just past chin length-still long enough to tuck behind my ears.

I don't mind a bit of spray or some limited product as long as it isn't stiff and crunchy. Down here in the South where I am a lot of the women have these severe short cuts that almost make them look angry! Don't want to scare my toddlers but keep some femininity and fun.
Oooh, I know what you mean about the angry-looking haircuts.

Try a slightly longer variation of a pixie cut.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,422,726 times
You should do it before vacation! I had 16" cut off a few years ago and I love it. I have a "little bit longer than a pixie" cut. I don't even own a blow dryer and the only product I use is a little shine serum, because the air is so dry here. I told my stylist that I wanted a short but feminine wash-n-wear style and she helped me decide on the cut that would best suit my face. If I'm dressing up, I can accessorize with a pretty clip or headband. I actually feel more confident and feminine with short hair than I did with long hair. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM

36,961 posts, read 40,898,119 times
I have worn my hair in a short wedge for many years just for the reasons you describe. I love it because it is wash and go. If it gets windblown, practically all you have to do is shake your head and it falls back into place. (Watch Dorothy Hamill skate!) As it grows out, you may want to use a curling iron, but it is not really necessary. There are many modifications of the wedge. I wear the original Dorothy Hamill version. It does require a stylist who knows how to do it, because the hair is cut in a gazillion layers.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,156,680 times
As a male, I have to admit being fascinated with the Polish model/actress Karolina Wydra who has been frequently seen in a TV commercial for an ugly a*s Acura automobile. She charms as we are enchanted by her sparkling dark eyes and the wind blows a wisp of hair across her face. It's such a disappointment when the commercial cuts from her to the car

Girl in Acura ZDX Commercial Outshines Vehicle: Stardom Looms Large for Polish Born Model Turned Actress (http://tv-advertising.suite101.com/article.cfm/girl-in-acura-zdx-commercial-outshines-vehicle - broken link)

YouTube - Acura ZDX Commercial: "Exclamation"

Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 PM

414 posts, read 1,005,671 times
I agree, try a longer version of a pixie. I don't like looking crunchy either. My hair is still very feminine...I LOVE it!

Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,156,680 times
Now Keira Knightley has gotten a "bob." The new style flatters her face

Holy crop! Keira Knightley ditches long locks to debut chic bobbed hair - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care