Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Back before I started cutting my hair, my biggest pet peeve was when I'd sketch up how I wanted my hair and the stylist wouldn't follow it at all. I mean, I only spent 45 minutes researching haircuts and an hour sketching it from 17 different angles.

I don't know. I guess after giving a stylist a picture with a combination of short choppy layers for the back and a hime cut for the front and sides... and walking out with a "page boy" cut, I just stopped going to salons. Despite how awful it looked, the stylist insisted that her work was worth the full $50 plus a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post

Time to spare? So early...If you appointment is at 11:30, I will get you at 11:30....You show up at 11:20......Sorry, if Im in the back getting a bite to eat, cleaning color bowls from a previous client, folding towels to use on you, or peeing......so sorry, we're not all out back smoking
I'm a smoker myself and I know when someone's just had a cigarette; they reek of it. So yeah, sometimes they ARE out back having a smoke. I don't expect the stylist to plop me into the chair at 11:20 if my appointment is at 11:30. I expect them to plop me into the chair at 11:30, not 11:45.

Quote:
I know several stylists that do #4. They are under the mindset of, "stylist knows best."......not always true....we aren't going to go home with you to style your hair for you everyday, no, you have to.
Yep...when a stylist has gone off the reservation in terms of what I wanted done, I have called and complained and one time was even given a full refund for the haircut. That is unusual though. I'm not high maintenance or ******y. I just know what I want done to my hair and I expect the stylist to do as I ask.

Quote:
All I can say about your# 5 is....when you say you want an inch off ask them to show you what their idea of an inch is, it may be WAY off from yours. I have a very special lady that comes to me with the most gorgeous long hair, I can't even imagine cutting it short! When we trim her, it's so little we call it a "pretend trim"(and no I would never charge full price for something that took me 3 minutes, I do have to sleep at night!).....I use that term alot, you can try it. Good idea, pop on the spectaculars so you can make sure all is in check, if your stylist has an issue with that, she's no good.
I know how much an inch is but if they want me to show them with a ruler, I'm more than happy to oblige.

Quote:
In reference to #6, I don't always chat it up, if it is a precision haircut, my mind is focused....id rather focus completely on your hair than maintian a conversation on how many stitches your dog had to have. But while applying color, or doing a basic cut with layers.....let's yakity *** all afternoon
And that's fine. When the stylist gets to the portions of the cut that require more concentration, I don't interrupt them. But while we're shampooing and combing and sectioning hair off? Don't treat me like a dog.

Quote:
Yes, we have those cushy neck rests for our clients at the shampoo bowl, becuase, ouch, they can be a PAIN IN THE NECK! LOL.
Tell me about it. The last person to cut my hair didn't even put a towel down there, ignored me when I asked for a towel, then complained at me when I put my hand behind my head. What a cow she was.

Quote:
As for you #7 That is a huge no no. Girl, Im so upset when I can't take one of my clients! They should not do that to you, p!$$ poor costumer service on their part!
I agree! And every salon that's ever done that to me has never enjoyed my business again.

Quote:
I truely love my job. The feeling I get when I turn my lovely lady around in the chair and I see her face light up because of something I did! Man, I live for that. I hate calling my clients "client".....they are so much more than that. I get to make people feel good for a living! I wish I could have you in my chair! Id show you how it's really done!
Me too. I've been trying to find a good stylist for a few years now. I thought I'd found a good one and she was pleasant, prompt, etc. She had trouble reproducing her own results on my hair and I got a couple of bad cuts in a row so I stopped using her. I used a local salon here and the stylist refused to cut my hair as short as I wanted it to be cut. I used a different one and had the miserable experience with the shampooing, plus the girl who cut my hair was rude. She pulled my hair and cut it unevenly. I think this may have been because pizza was delivered during my cut, she was hungry, and rushed my cut because she wanted pizza. Sorry, that's BS. I was beyond pissed by the time she was done.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Don't talk the whole time you're cutting my hair, to the other stylists, your husband who stopped by to get your grocery list straight, and your bratty kids who are off school that day and you're too cheap to get a sitter.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:11 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
Quote:
Please, don't get the impression that I work in a high end salon. I don't I wouldn't fit in with those people. But I by no means work at a Clip Joint. Just a little humble salon. If these offend you....then you're the offender.

1. Don't bring your four year old in and ask them which "style" they want, you know they'll change their minds when the cut is done, and now the stylist has a SCREAMING child in her chair.

2. If your stylist or salon coordinator calls to remind you of your appointment, please, extend them the same courtesy, and call when you are going to be late or have to cancel. It's hard to fit someone into that 1hr+. slot last minute.

3. We love you, and we love your children, but we also love our other clients as well, if you have an unruly child, get a babysitter, your roots aren't worth ruining everyone elses relaxing experience, or find a family friendly salon.

4. Keep your head still!!! Stop moving. You'll make your stylist cut their finger for the 1,000th time! Would you like some complimentary "red" color for your hair?

5. If your stylist is courteous enough to put her cell on silent and place it in their drawer......you do the same. Especially at the shampoo bowl, you'd be pretty upset if we soaked your $300 phone.

6. When you call to make and appointment and find that we are booked solid, don't ever say these arrogant words," She/He knows me. She/He WILL fit me in." Consider our other clients, that booked in advance to have our undivided attention, don't take from their time.

7. A Bar Mitzvah is NOT an emergency. A funneral (in which you feel bad enough and would rather not looks at "roots")...is

8. It's not "just a trim". We went to school and have dedicated our lives to this profession. It requires our time, knowledge, and skill, and that's not free.

9. We love our loyals, those that are good to us, we'll go the extra mile! (due to the economy, I haven't charged my loyals full price in two years)

10. Don't put your feet on our stations,umm ew, and you're not at home.

11. Tips 15%-20%.....and in cash please!!!

Keep in mind, you can not sue us for a bad hair cut, maybe for a chemical issue....but **** us off and we hold the power, literally, in our hands! Love Y'all!
Love this whole thing! I am licensed but no longer work in the profession and you hit the nail on the head.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM

218 posts, read 455,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Don't talk the whole time you're cutting my hair, to the other stylists, your husband who stopped by to get your grocery list straight, and your bratty kids who are off school that day and you're too cheap to get a sitter.
Ummm, What ghetto ***** salon did you go to?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Love this whole thing! I am licensed but no longer work in the profession and you hit the nail on the head.
You know this, my friend!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Back before I started cutting my hair, my biggest pet peeve was when I'd sketch up how I wanted my hair and the stylist wouldn't follow it at all. I mean, I only spent 45 minutes researching haircuts and an hour sketching it from 17 different angles.

I don't know. I guess after giving a stylist a picture with a combination of short choppy layers for the back and a hime cut for the front and sides... and walking out with a "page boy" cut, I just stopped going to salons. Despite how awful it looked, the stylist insisted that her work was worth the full $50 plus a tip.
You'd bring in sketches?! I bet you were the hot topic in the break room! Stylists probably dreaded seeing your name on the book.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,304,636 times
Quote:
All I can say about your# 5 is....when you say you want an inch off ask them to show you what their idea of an inch is, it may be WAY off from yours. I have a very special lady that comes to me with the most gorgeous long hair, I can't even imagine cutting it short! When we trim her, it's so little we call it a "pretend trim"(and no I would never charge full price for something that took me 3 minutes, I do have to sleep at night!).....I use that term alot, you can try it. Good idea, pop on the spectaculars so you can make sure all is in check, if your stylist has an issue with that, she's no good.
I'm sorry, but since when is an inch a subjective measure? My inch and your inch should be EXACTLY the same.

Last edited by robee70; 09-30-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
I'm sorry, but since when is an inch a subjective measure. My inch and your inch should be EXACTLY the same.
In a perfect world, yes. But, I can not tell you how many times I have had a traumatized client sit in my chair for the first time and say they want 3 inches cut, and when I ask them to show me 3 inches on their hair........they show me what a ruler would call a 1/2 inch! Good thing I checked!!! Better safe than sorry! And another thing....for those of you who have been to numerous stylists and you are the one who's never happy........who's the common denominator?

Last edited by saywha; 09-30-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 06:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
In a perfect world, yes. But, I can not tell you how many times I have had a traumatized client sit in my chair for the first time and say they want 3 inches cut, and when I ask them to show me 3 inches on their hair........they show me what a ruler would call a 1/2 inch! Good thing I checked!!! Better safe than sorry! And another thing....for those of you who have been to numerous stylists and you are the one who's never happy........who's the common denominator?
I don't think I'm the problem; I'm not really fussy when it comes to my hair. I think the problem really is the stylists. It probably doesn't help that I don't like to spend $100 + on a haircut every 4-6 weeks because my hair grows really fast. I guess if you patronize the mid-range salons you're more likely to encounter crappy stylists. The good ones probably get a chair at high end salons pretty easily. I also don't like going to the mall to get my hair cut so places like Toni and Guy and Regis aren't really on my list. I've tried some local stylists and have either not been pleased with the results on my hair or the attitude of the stylist.

Every time I think I've found my permanent stylist, they've done something to screw it up. They've been no-shows for appointments or they've been unable to reproduce the haircut consistently. I want the same haircut every time. My hair style is really easy....fine, thin hair...inverted bob, chin length...really, how hard can it be????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care