U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM

409 posts, read 390,754 times
Default Hair color & skin tone? Need advice..

I have very pale, somewhat sallow skin (slightly yellow undertone). My natural color is mousy brown. I have hazel-green eyes. I want to boost my appearance - I want to keep it brunette, but do I go warm, cool or neutral? Will a chestnut hue make me look jaundiced?

P.S. A salon is out of the question, I am broke. Just looking to use Natural Instincts or some other demi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Question hair color for my skin tone?

I have mousy brown hair and pale skin with sallow (yellow/warm) undertone. Hazel-green eyes. What shade brunette do I go with? Warm or cool?

Old 02-26-2011, 08:27 PM

127 posts, read 89,981 times
I have a friend who's Chinese and who has golden undertones to his skin. He looks gorgeous with his hair dyed soft black (warm black instead of cool) with dark wine-brownish-red streaks. My mom has a warm olive-toned complexion with yellow areas, and has looked good in softer brown-black shades as well as browns with a hint of red.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Ok, I will try the chestnut then....(reddish brown)...

Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,893,102 times
I have similar coloring as you describe (I am Caucasian) and I look best with hair as ashy as possible, like my natural hair color. This seems to fly in the face of conventional hair wisdom, where someone like me with pale golden skin and green eyes should have her hair "warmed up" but whenever I do that it only emphasizes the sallowness, makes the dark areas under my eyes more prominent, etc. If I stick with ashy blonde or brunette shades that is ideal on me. The only way I can go warm and look right is to go all the way to red, but that requires almost as much upkeep as going blonde.

Natural Instincts lifts my hair too much because of the peroxide. I tried some other demis and semis and now I am really liking Loving Care which is a true semi, no lift. It is perfect if you want something that will wash out and not alter your underlying haircolor. I use light ash brown. Their ash tones are balanced so they don't show up green or violet on unpigmented grey hair - my scattered greys appear to be scattered light golden blondes, and my pigmented hair is slightly darker and richer than my natural shade, with no unwanted orangeyness. It does have to reapplied much more frequently than permanent color.

Last edited by tilli; 02-27-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 AM

18,868 posts, read 14,942,728 times
Go with Light Auburn, it is a great color, and if you don't like it, the one I used faded pretty quickly.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I have similar coloring as you describe (I am Caucasian) and I look best with hair as ashy as possible, like my natural hair color. This seems to fly in the face of conventional hair wisdom, where someone like me with pale golden skin and green eyes should have her hair "warmed up" but whenever I do that it only emphasizes the sallowness, makes the dark areas under my eyes more prominent, etc. If I stick with ashy blonde or brunette shades that is ideal on me. The only way I can go warm and look right is to go all the way to red, but that requires almost as much upkeep as going blonde.

Natural Instincts lifts my hair too much because of the peroxide. I tried some other demis and semis and now I am really liking Loving Care which is a true semi, no lift. It is perfect if you want something that will wash out and not alter your underlying haircolor. I use light ash brown. Their ash tones are balanced so they don't show up green or violet on unpigmented grey hair - my scattered greys appear to be scattered light golden blondes, and my pigmented hair is slightly darker and richer than my natural shade, with no unwanted orangeyness. It does have to reapplied much more frequently than permanent color.
Different opinions by different folks - not sure what to do! Anyways, what is your natural color and how long does the Loving Care last? I thought that was only good for a few shampoos?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:23 PM

Tilli, I think Loving Care is being discontinued...I can't find it anywhere but Amazon and in limited colors and they are charging like $14.99 a box (because it's hard to find)...where do you buy yours?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:11 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,893,102 times
I find it at CVS, I've also picked it up at Walgreens. I have heard rumors of discontinuation but after some research I think they were only discontinuing certain shades. They are changing the packaging over to read Natural Instincts Loving Care and there seems to have been a short period where no one had it at all, but the stores around here seem stocked now.

You can also get some professional semis (Clairol Beautiful, Clairol advanced Grey solutions, Ion makes a semi, there are others I can't remember) at a place like Sally Beauty supply, but at my level range they don't offer ash tones, only golds and reds. A golden blonde shade from one of these is my next favorite after the Loving Care ash shade but I'd rather not warm up the pigmented hair if I don't have to. My natural hair color is an extremely ashy light brown.

And yes, as I said, it must be reapplied much more often than conventional color. Mine lasts a couple weeks using Hair One instead of shampoo.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I find it at CVS, I've also picked it up at Walgreens. I have heard rumors of discontinuation but after some research I think they were only discontinuing certain shades. They are changing the packaging over to read Natural Instincts Loving Care and there seems to have been a short period where no one had it at all, but the stores around here seem stocked now.

You can also get some professional semis (Clairol Beautiful, Clairol advanced Grey solutions, Ion makes a semi, there are others I can't remember) at a place like Sally Beauty supply, but at my level range they don't offer ash tones, only golds and reds. A golden blonde shade from one of these is my next favorite after the Loving Care ash shade but I'd rather not warm up the pigmented hair if I don't have to. My natural hair color is an extremely ashy light brown.

And yes, as I said, it must be reapplied much more often than conventional color. Mine lasts a couple weeks using Hair One instead of shampoo.
Okay, thanks - I will try to find it. If I can't, I will try the Beautiful collection, I saw that on their professional website (a "honey" brown?). My color is same as yours, but a tad darker (light/med ash brown).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care